FoodSaver
  Re: (...)
I've been contemplating buying a FoodSaver for quite some time. I checked out the sales and yesterday ended up buying the FoodSaver Advanced Design model at Sam's. Not sure that I got the best price, but haven't found one at a better price any place else.

I even watched the DVD to learn how to use it - sure beats reading the manual. The one I got came with 2 canisters, a jar sealer, and two rolls of bags. Went online to register it last night and stopped myself from ordering a ton of accessories. Don't want to get carried away, looking for some advice on how you all use yours, if you have one...
  Re: FoodSaver by HomeCulinarian (I've been contemplat...)
Now BillyJ is the FoodSaver expert!!!! He will chime in soon, I'm sure!!!

Not available here----WHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
It's the only thing I ever bought on late nite TV. My wife thought I had been drinking after she went to bed!! We absolutely love it! We keep it out on the counter.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: FoodSaver by Old Bay (It's the only thing ...)
You will absolutely love your foodsaver!! I used mine while I was personal cheffing and during my catering days - it really made my life easier!!

I also used it when I was in school - the nights I was gone, I would 'pouch' up items for Roy's dinner, write him a menu and all he had to do was drop the packs in simmering water and enjoy his telephone date he had each night I was gone, with our oldest daughter (madmax on here). When they finished catching up, his dinner was all ready for him.

This method of heating food is the softest, most gentle heat there is. No more dried out leftovers. For catering (or for a home party), I used to put things like sauces for meatballs in one pkg. and the meatballs in another and at party time just heat them in simmering water and combine in a chafer.

Anything you don't want to serve with a crispy crust can be heated this way.

Some people use knock-off plastic bags with their FoodSavers, but I personally do not recommend it - maybe there are different opinions out there on this, but I wouldn't take the chance.

One of the best features about putting meat/poultry/etc. in pouches to freeze, you never have to worry about freezer burn - no chance of it accumulating inside the pkgs. it's a great machine! have fun.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: FoodSaver by cjs (You will absolutely ...)
We love ours! I love the fact that I can put the puches of Montreal Smoked Meat right into the water to heat. We wonder now how we ever did without it!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
You're going to love it, HC! I have an older model, it came with a cannister and a jar sealer but I never figured out how to use those. Two things I have found-something particularly juicy needs to be frozen in a ziplock first and then sealed-maybe it's just my older model, and use the Foodsaver bags, as Jean said, the others just don't work the same, especially for dropping in simmering water.

It's great for all those marked down steaks I find on Monday morning at the grocery store, just throw away the original packaging and seal them up. Haven't had a freezer burned steak yet doing this.

I just pulled some peanut butter fudge from Christmas, it's perfect

Have fun! Now you need to buy a freezer to hold all this stuff!!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: FoodSaver by pjcooks (You're going to love...)
I was trying to decide whether to order more canisters for leftovers and such. We end up pitching food that gets forgotten and pushed to the back of the fridge. I'm thinking that using the different bowls and canisters instead of plastic containers will eliminate or at least reduce the waste. They also have the attachment that seals Mason/Kerr jars. Anybody using these accessories???
  Re: Re: FoodSaver by HomeCulinarian (I was trying to deci...)
I love my foodsaver. I use the canisters - they are great. I've used the jar thingy - it works but I don't think to use it as often as I should.

When you are sealing something like a steak that is juicy I just fold a paper towel and stuff it in the bag next to the meat. It absorbs whatever juices the Foodsaver wants to suck in.

Ours lives on the counter - and we couldn't live without it! We have the marinater - love it. We also have some "tupperware" like containers we found at WalMart. They work great for leftovers, I use them for Bob's lunch sandwiches.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: FoodSaver by Harborwitch (I love my foodsaver....)
I bought the Professional II when it first came out. It also lives on the counter. I had put it in a large plastic bag and put it in a cabinet, but that only lasted for about 2 weeks, got tired of unwrapping it to use. We used to buy lots of meat in large quantities and then repackage it into smaller quantities. The FoodSaver has paid for itself time and again. I, personally, don't like the canisters but several of my friends use lots of them...I just can't get them to seal to my satisfaction, but the friends have no trouble. I agree with Jean, buy the FoodSaver brand bags. I buy the rolls only, then just cut them to the size I want. You can use them time and again, either by hand washing them or running them through the dishwasher. I make 3-4 loaf pans of meatloaf at a time and then just freeze the extra [if there's any left...with the 800 pounder you never know], then heat them in gently simmering water and they are just as fresh and juicy as they originally were. I even package juices in the bags by cutting the size I want, then open a drawer directly under the counter, set the bag in it with the FoodSaver almost on the edge of the counter. I fold a paper towel and put it in the reservoir in case some juice gets sucked up...do this every year. They say not to, but it works fine, they lay flat and take up very little room.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: FoodSaver by bjcotton (I bought the Profess...)
I probably got rid of all the 'extras' quickly - never use(d) anything but the bags - like Billy, for soups, sauces, juices, etc.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com