Football games, wedding receptions, and food.
  Re: (...)
I had a beautiful list of wonderful goodies for the wedding reception - the Bob (?) get's an email from the Bride - she's worried; they want "plain" food. They really want pigs in a blanket, a tray with American cheese and pepperoni, and lumpia (plain?????).

The list now consists of:
***Torta - butter & cream cheese combined and layered with
pesto and decorated with pine nuts & basil leaves.
Served with crostini and crackers.

***Pepperoni Pinwheels - puff pastry spread with honey dijon
mustard, pepperoni, sprinkled with asiago cheese and
rolled, sliced, and baked.

Chicken, apple, and cheddar empandaitas - self explanatory

**Mini Mac & cheese - done in a mini muffin tin

**Mini bacon cheese burger meatloves -(I'll post the recipe)
garnished with dill pickle thinly sliced.

Capressi Skewers - fresh Moz. balls, cherry tomatoes, and
basil leaves on a skewer.

"Dogs in a Duvet" Still playing with this one.

Pretzel bites - darling little home made pretzels - may make
here and take.

Still under consideration and up for trial:

Corn salad in mini tortilla cups
Savory French toast bites - made with brioche

Sliced baguette with Pimento cheese (from the pimento bacon
cheeseburgers), and ??????
???????????

Those with the *** are tried and true, always a hit and requested. Those with ** were tried for the football games this weekend and a few of the others are going to be tried for the SuperBowl.

Any suggestions - am I too over the top??? French onion dip and Lays potato chips or Fritos and bean dip are close to landing on the list. I was going to do Jean's Sesame Chicken - may still add it back. I have to call the bride this evening and let her know what gives - and find out what she doesn't want.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Football games, wedding receptions, and food. by Harborwitch (I had a beautiful li...)
What!?!?! Is the bride crazy or something?!

Okay I can empathize with you sooooo much. I usually plan a party for my inlaws when they return from their 5-month-winter-vacation. I make up a menu of wonderful things. Then I tell my hubby what I'm going to make and he immediately picks it apart and says, "So-and-so won't like that, and so-and-so won't like this." So I would end up making BBQ weenies in a crock pot and other typical fare.

I have gotten over listening to him now. I just make what I want to make and they can eat what they want to eat. Usually people end up liking exactly what I made and nobody misses the BBQ weenies. I hope the bride changes her mind or at least opens it a little.

I hope it all goes well for you Sharon. It's exciting to plan a menu. I am sure you are a little disappointed. I always was.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Football games, wedding receptions, and food. by Harborwitch (I had a beautiful li...)
" had a beautiful list of wonderful goodies for the wedding reception - the Bob (?) get's an email from the Bride - she's worried; they want "plain" food. They really want pigs in a blanket, a tray with American cheese and pepperoni, and lumpia (plain?????)."

I would say..."Are you kidding me?", but it seems cruel at this point. I like your menu, but she IS the bride. I can't wait to hear her response. I think you've struck a nice balance of "plain" and appropriate.

Personally, I like the torta and always love capressi. I'll have to look, I think you've posted the pepperoni pinwheels. I'll have to give them a try. There's an idea nagging in the back of my head regarding the "Dogs in a Duvet", but I can't seem to dig it out at the moment. I'll let you know if/when it comes to me.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Football games, wedding receptions, and food. by Gourmet_Mom (" had a beautiful li...)
I agree with Daphne. It is her wedding, after all.

How about you ask what she wants to serve in particular, then you'll make that as well as a few other things you think people will enjoy. Kinda takes the fun out for you, but I'm sure you can make it all come together and be beautiful!
  Re: Re: Football games, wedding receptions, and food. by HomeCulinarian (I agree with Daphne....)
I had to google to jump-start the brain. It has to do with dijon or spicy brown mustard spread on strips of puff pastry and "twirled" around the cocktail weiners stuffed with smoked gouda. Good Luck!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Football games, wedding receptions, and food. by HomeCulinarian (I agree with Daphne....)
Quote:

I agree with Daphne. It is her wedding, after all.

How about you ask what she wants to serve in particular, then you'll make that as well as a few other things you think people will enjoy. Kinda takes the fun out for you, but I'm sure you can make it all come together and be beautiful!

That sounds very diplomatic and a wonderful solution. You are correct that she IS the bride. But what a wonderful and very positive solution. Bravo!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
Please excuse me (or smack me) if I missed another post. A few questions, how many people? I'm assuming this is buffet? What are the onsite facilities? then I'll come back and give you an uneducated opinion.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Football games, wedding receptions, and food. by Lorraine (Please excuse me (or...)
Sharon, what was the title of the initial thread about this wedding, I don't want you to have to repeat all the info.

I know you mentioned shipping some of it back there - is that still a viable option for you? I wouldn't think so, but then I've never done it either...

Anyway, I won't comment any more until I see that other thread first. I'll go look for it also.

P.S. Welcome to the world of catering - it's all what the hostess/bride wants for food - always!!! Sometime's you're lucky and get one who will listen, but they are few and far between.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Football games, wedding receptions, and food. by cjs (Sharon, what was the...)
O.K., I went back and printed all the info I could find -looks like you're arriving sometime Thursday and have all day Friday and Sat. a.m. for prep? Sounds like all will be done in your s-i-l's kitchen? with a gas stove & oven (1?)

Two sisters, Bob's daughter, Bob and you will be doing the food?

I'm going to p.m. you Sharon about this.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Nothing I can add here but my empathy, Sharon, I live it every day. "I can make XYZ for dinner tonight" and "How about 3 hot dogs?" is my response.

Yup, she's the bride but I wouldn't be above throwing in a few of my own goodies, as well. After all, this is your wedding gift to them, right? Give her what she wants and something new, as well!

PJ
PJ