Martinis, Martinis, Martinis!
  Re: (...)
You know this thread will get a lot of hits! I started posting this on another thread and thought I'd start a new one.

I am pretty sure Jean uses Bluberry Vodka in the blueberry martinis. Hey Jean, what IS in the Bluberry Martinis? I looked at some photos and it looks like they are blue or purple? Hmmmm... Might have to try these on Thursday.

Thursday evening we are going to a wine/martini cocktail party to help support our school's hockey team. I don't konw who started this fundraiser, but... The premise is this: we go to the country club, drinks are sponsored by the liquor store. Try a new drink or wine, if you like it, buy the liquor or wine, you get 30% off, then a portion of the proceeds go to the hockey team.

Anybody else have a martini recipe my hubby and I should try on Thursday???

[Image: 23037229.jpg]
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Martinis, Martinis, Martinis! by luvnit (You know this thread...)
I'll repost this response here - much more appropriate!
Oh my, for a fundraiser like that in our backyard!!! Have fun and you know we'll all be thinking enviously of you on Thursday!

Roy loves his martinis, I like to take a sip, but can't drink a whole one, but he got me the most beautiful etched martini glass, that I'm always on the look out for ones that I will like.

My Favorite for this coming summer - and I use the red cranberry, so it's a pretty pinkish.

1/5 oz. Smirnoff Blueberry Vodka
1 oz. each: white or red cranberry juice & tonic
Squeeze of lime
Shake and strain
garnish with a blueberry (I keep a little bag of blueberries in the freezer )

and last summer's favorite - our ole buddy, Gil, found this one for me a few years ago.

Sour Apple Martini

1 oz vanilla flavored vodka
1 oz sour apple schnapps
1 splash sweet and sour mix

Shake with crushed ice. Strain into glass. Serve the sour apple martini in a cocktail glass. Garnish with apple slices. (If you have access to watermelon pickles - that is my garnish of choice. ) Roy is more traditional - gin martini w/three olives...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Martinis, Martinis, Martinis! by cjs (I'll repost this res...)
I am a martini snob..well actually I'm a vodka snob, but I do enjoy my martini's!

When I get home I'll have to pull out my hand written notes on some of our favorites. One of mine is the dirty (not filthy) martini.

Hubby is a gin martini man.

Tip of the day - Gin martini's are always stirred!! NEVER shaken. Shaking causes the alchol to get very cold. This ruins the aromatics in the Gin. Meaning half the joy of gin is the flavor and smelling all the aromatics. If they are too cold their scents are not released and their flavors are dulled.

Vodka - Shaken, not stirred. (Unless you've added aromatics)
  Re: Re: Martinis, Martinis, Martinis! by DFen911 (I am a martini snob....)
oh geez, is Denise ever going to get us straightened and flying right!! go girl...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I'm a gin man--Plymouth or Tanqueray--9 to 1 ratio to vermouth. Stirred and served in a martini glass, up with an olive or a caperberry. The other formulas are cocktails served in a martini glass--not martinis.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Martinis, Martinis, Martinis! by Old Bay (I'm a gin man--Plymo...)
I can't stand martinis, but Hubby LOVES them. He would concur with OldBay, although he will "stoop" to drinking Beefeaters, as well. For the queen olives, if you drain out the liquid and replace it with vermouth, it adds to the enjoyment. I don't think he's tried caperberries before. Are they hard to find?
Thanks Denise! That is good information that I didn't know. My hubby is a gin martini guy. He will also be appreciative to learn this info.

Gosh I think I learn something new every day on this forum! By 2009 I will be so much smarter
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Martinis, Martinis, Martinis! by HomeCulinarian (I can't stand martin...)
You can get them at World Market.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Martinis, Martinis, Martinis! by Old Bay (You can get them at ...)
All this talk of Martini's is making my mouth water.
  Re: Re: Martinis, Martinis, Martinis! by DFen911 (All this talk of Mar...)
Oddly enough, the guidance counsellors in my High School were a Mr. Martini, and a Mr. Feicht (pronounced "fight"). Strange names for guidance counsellors.

In the same school, the teachers who were the heads of the math department were Mr. Wayes and Mr. Meanes. Not kidding.

Back to the alcohol: one of the deacons in the church where I grew up was Tom Collins. Obviously, we were not a Baptist Church - I'm sure they never would have allowed that.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?