Bistecca Sandwich - Blast from the past no.57
  Re: (...)
Just going through some older issues over the past few weeks and have been finding 'new gems' to try and recipes I meant to try, but never got around to it. This was one of them.

Bistecca Sandwich with Roasted Pepper Mayonnaise
[Image: Bistecca.jpg]

We had these during the game last night. These really hit the spot! Grilled ciabatta rolls, greens, grilled steak and what really brings the flavors and textures all together is the Roasted Red Pepper Mayonnaise with Gorgonzola and Shallots. I mean, I knew it would be good, but I wanted to pour this stuff in a wine glass and drink it!

This was a winner that we will do again, and often.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Bistecca Sandwich - Blast from the past no.57 by luvnit (Just going through s...)
Oh shoot, this looks so good - I had some beautiful steak left from dinner a couple nights ago and have pizza dough thawing out to do something with it.

Just looked at the recipe in the magazine - I made this for Father's day 6/18/06 and wrote 'wonderful' on it, so I guess I agree with you.

Hmmm, maybe adapt the sandwich to use on my pizza dough. (ooops, just looked at the nutritional data... )

P.S. Well, I feel better - the archives has a "lighter" version of the sandwich, so I'm back into it again.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bistecca Sandwich - Blast from the past no.57 by cjs (Oh shoot, this looks...)
Darn that nutritional data!

However, I did use Smart Balance mayonnaise. It has 1/2 the fat and 1/2 the calories of regular mayo. And it honestly tastes great!

I love mayo, but know the calories are killers. This is an alternative that does not taste 'diet' (IMHO).

I am sure the rest of the calories come from the steak itself, and the olive oil. Those I don't think you can get around for calories

[Image: Mayo_SmartBalance.jpg]
Laura
  Re: Re: Bistecca Sandwich - Blast from the past no.57 by luvnit (Darn that nutritiona...)
Boy that does look yummy. I love anything with roasted red peppers. I won't even ask about the nutrional values...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Bistecca Sandwich - Blast from the past no.57 by luvnit (Just going through s...)
We LOVED that sandwich, too. It is way high on calories, tho. I've been a Hellmann's loyalist my whole life. Maybe it's time I should step out a bit and give the Smart Balance a try.
  Re: Re: Bistecca Sandwich - Blast from the past no.57 by HomeCulinarian (We LOVED that sandwi...)
Quote:

I've been a Hellmann's loyalist my whole life. Maybe it's time I should step out a bit and give the Smart Balance a try.

I too have been a Hellmann's Real Mayonnaise loyalist too. Ever since I could buy my own groceries (my mother was an avid 'whatever was cheaper' person). To me I was always disappointed with anything BUT Hellman's.

Smart Balance is also not hydrogenated and packed with Omega-3. Really good stuff and worth a try, especially in recipes that call for mayo. But it's really good on sandwiches too.
Laura
  Re: Re: Bistecca Sandwich - Blast from the past no.57 by luvnit ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Unfortunately, we don't get ANY of the Smart Balance products here. When I was in the States, though, I used Smart Balance Light spread all the time, and it was great! Of all the various butter alternatives, it was the one that tasted most like butter to me, and it was non-hydrogenated and had no lactose (the regular Smart Balance does have lactose). The other amazing thing about it was that it cost so much less than the other pretenders.

Wish I could try their "mayo." It's probably fantastic.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Bistecca Sandwich - Blast from the past no.57 by luvnit ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
This will sound very wierd, but - my favorite is Miracle Whip over mayonnaise, but I can't handle the flavor/after taste of low cal/fat miracle whip. I can handle low fat/cal mayo. Wierd, but true.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bistecca Sandwich - Blast from the past no.57 by cjs (This will sound very...)
Funny you mentioned this Jean. I am a mayo fan, but like Miracle Whip on certain sanwiches. I like the light mayo, but HATE the flavor and especially the texture of the light MW! I think I'll give this one a try...do a little detective work. I'm also going to give the butter a second look.

Thanks for the info Laura. The Omega-3 makes it a big sell here.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Bistecca Sandwich - Blast from the past no.57 by Gourmet_Mom (Funny you mentioned ...)
We have Hellman's "light" and "extra light" mayo here----you MUST have that on your shelves if we have it!!!

I find no difference with the taste of the "light" vs regular---use it with all of my recipes so far. I haven't tried the "extra light" yet---just found it last week so will try on something unimportant (like my tomato and cheese/basil sammich for lunch) in the near future. Miracle whip has its moments---that is available here as well although I do not use the product, no special reason.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy