What's For Dinner Sunday - 1/20?
  Re: (...)
This is the last day of our food regime - YEAH!!! Must say I feel much better already and I'm anxious to have a much more varied, but healthy, selection of wonderful foods. I've decided to blow it 4 times a month to cook one of the millions recipes that are on my list... I want to be healthy, not svelte.

Tonight's not half bad - roasted chicken, tomatos, cooked cabbage, celery, veggie soup, grapefruit, coffee. I particularly like this dinner, 'cause I can play with sauteing (w/pam) the cabbage, celery and add a little of the veggie soup to the dish. Put the chicken on top and it doesn't look (or taste) half bad.

So, what are ya'all having?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's For Dinner Sunday - 1/20? by cjs (This is the last day...)
Since I am off and am recovering from a serve out style dinner for 408 people last night I am going to do smoked polish sausage sauteed and mixed with jambalaya. Not sure what exactly I am going to season the sausage with but I plan on slicing it relatively thin on the bias and doing it in some good oil and maybe some homemade creole seasoning mix...dessert will be brownies with two half pound Hershey's bars baked in between two layers of batter topped with homemade coffee ice cream...maybe I'll skip straight to dessert!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner Sunday - 1/20? by firechef (Since I am off and a...)
LJ, do you remember Roberto on C2C? Was he still there when you joined? He's the one that could not post a recipe without 10 pages of family history along with it - some good stories, but... and wonderful dishes he posted.

Anyway, my favorite of his is his dish with all kinds of goodies and it's so mindless it's unbelievable. After doing your dinner last night, there could not be a tastier offering than this = (your mentioning sausage made me think of it)

ROAST SAUSAGE WITH ONIONS, PEPPER & POTATOES

Recipe By : (Roberto), Kernersville, NC USA

Bell Peppers - green, red, yellow - whatever you prefer to use - cored, seeded and cut into nice chunks.
Potatoes, scrubbed & cubed into large chunks.
Large onions, of any variety, peeled and chunked.
Salt & Pepper, Olive oil
Sausage - Italian is the primary choice but this is wonderful with Kielbasa, Bratwurst, Chorizo, Andouille, whatever you can get a lot of for a little.

Combine all cut vegetables in a large foil roasting pan and drizzle with a goodly amount of olive oil, season with salt & pepper.
I add some crushed red pepper, a little Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano and mix well.
Cover with foil and bake in a 350°F oven for about an hour.

While the veggies cook, parboil your sausage in a little water in a covered pan for 15 to 20 minutes.

When veggies are starting to get nice and soft, cut the sausage into nice size pieces and add to the roasting pan.
Cover and bake 3/4 to 1 hour, then uncover & roast under the broiler, stirring occasionally, till the sausage is browning nicely and the veggies start to show signs of browning.

Serve with grated cheese, bread and a salad, or a raw vegetable antipasto, or soup, or anything.

Description:
"Amounts are irrelevant - this is ultra simple and delicious."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Oh, and by the by, this is a recipe from Share A Recipe Cookbook....just to tease you all with what you can find within
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner Sunday - 1/20? by firechef (Since I am off and a...)
LJ, I'm recovering, too, from my 11 hour day yesterday. We had a 2 big meals then a plated dinner for 100 last night, doesn't sound so bad next to your 400. How long did it take to get it all out?

For some reason I feel like gumbo today. I wonder what will become of that craving....

I know, I know, your meal is healthier, Jean, but I just love andouille.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner Sunday - 1/20? by cjs (LJ, do you remember ...)
We were posting at the same time, Jean, funny that you mentioned andouille in Roberto's recipe-this just might be supper

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner Sunday - 1/20? by pjcooks (We were posting at t...)
PJ, you'll never be sorry you tried Roberto's ish it's delicious.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner Sunday - 1/20? by cjs (PJ, you'll never be ...)
I remember seeing some of Roberto's early posts while doing searches. I still want to make his Crazy Alfredo. I think I've done another of his, but missed this one. I loved his stories about his grandmother...LOL! This one is added to the A Try List. YUM!

Tonight is another night of experimenting. It's a kind of appy dinner...so many things I want to try soooo,

Dave's Warmed Marinated Olives, Tomato Basil Bruschetta on fresh baguette slices, Windows Crab Cakes (I'm doing them small and freezing some. That will work won't it?), and Jean's Sesame Chicken Skewers. I know it's an odd mix, but I can't wait!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner Sunday - 1/20? by Gourmet_Mom (I remember seeing so...)
We're having grilled skirt steak tacos and pinto beans. It's easy anyway!
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner Sunday - 1/20? by Trixxee (We're having grilled...)
oh Daphne, that's my kind of dinner - whole bunch of small plates to taste!! Have fun!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner Sunday - 1/20? by cjs (oh Daphne, that's my...)
Yea, mine too! I've not done this in a while, so I'm excited! There were just so many appies I wanted to try, and no school tomorrow, so why not! Wine, cocktails, and little nibbles throughout the evening! YUM!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.