dry sherry vs cream sherry
  Re: (...)
OK, I'm making the Sherry Mushroom Sauce tonight and the only thing the store had even close was cream sherry, the recipe calls for dry. Should I use the cream sherry, cooking sherry, or white wine?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: dry sherry vs cream sherry by Gourmet_Mom (OK, I'm making the S...)
White wine, or vermouth. Cream sherry will be sweet, which you don't want for this sauce. Good luck.

Sally
  Re: Re: dry sherry vs cream sherry by lxxf (White wine, or vermo...)
I agree with Sally on this.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: dry sherry vs cream sherry by lxxf (White wine, or vermo...)
Thanks...I started to grab the vermouth instead, since I'm out and didn't think the cream sherry was right, but I already had a HUGE grocery bill. I'll return the sherry and switch it for the vermouth at another time. Thanks again!
Daphne
  Re: Re: dry sherry vs cream sherry by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks...I started t...)
Yep. Vermouth could work, as well, but just remember to use the DRY vermouth (pale/white). The sweet vermouth (red/amber) would be just as out of place as the cream sherry.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: dry sherry vs cream sherry by labradors (Yep. Vermouth could...)
I can't stress it enough - for those of you who are not prolific drinkers like Lorraine, Denise, Sharon & a few others, it's such a good idea to buy a bottle of Noilly Pratt and just keep it in your cupboard -no refrigeration needed and it's a wonderful white wine/dry sherry/etc. addition to dishes.

:
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: dry sherry vs cream sherry by cjs (I can't stress it en...)
BTW, since this is for the sauce, compare the recipe that CJ posted with what's actually in the magazine (I can't do that).

The posted version says to use 3 cups of mushrooms, but also says the recipe only yields 1 cup of sauce. Sure, mushrooms shrink a bit when they cook, but I doubt that it's THAT much, so the recipe in the magazine probably said "3/4" and CJ just missed the "/4" when typing. I know, I've done that kind of thing, before, when the phone rang or someone came to the door while I was typing, but when I got back to typing, I didn't quite pick up exactly where I left off.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: dry sherry vs cream sherry by cjs (I can't stress it en...)
Would those "few others" be the other 3 wineauxs in a certain photograph???? Hmmmmmm! LOL

Dry sherry is for cooking - cream sherry is for drinking!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: dry sherry vs cream sherry by Harborwitch (Would those "few oth...)
So, Noilly Pratt, dry vermouth, white and red wine are good things to keep on hand. I usually keep all except the Noilly Pratt. I came sooo close to picking up a bottle the last time I was in "town". I'll be sure to get some next time I'm there. Thanks all!

Labs, it will be an interesting comparison....I'll say no more!
Daphne
  Re: Re: dry sherry vs cream sherry by Gourmet_Mom (So, Noilly Pratt, dr...)
Uhhhh, no labs - the recipe I typed was proof read and is correct - 3 cups of mixed mushrooms and they state the yield is "1 cup" - haven't made yet, so can't post just how much sauce this actually makes.
www.achefsjourney.com