Food Lover's Companion
  Re: (...)
With all this talk lately about the Food Lover's Companion, I had to look it up and see what the hubbub was all about. Now there is a 4th Edition that came out in August 2007. I found this review at Amazon.com and thought that maybe some of you who have the book could say if this is accurate.

Quote:

*** Three stars
By AlexanderBanning (Fargo, ND USA) - See all my reviews

This reference has been lauded in many venues, and it truly is a fascinating resource. However, after spending time examining the book (4th ed., 2007), I am noticing several entries that are out-of-date. For example, the entry on brains does not mention mad cow disease. In contrast, the latest _Joy of Cooking_ (2006) not only notes this, it also warns readers to avoid eating brains for that reason. As another example, several entries in the bibliography refer to older editions of books that now have recognized newer editions. Take, for example, the listing of _La Methode_ and _La Technique_, both by Jacques Pepin. These two works have been combined and published as _Jacques Pepin's Complete Techniques_. As a third example, the appendix on food label terms does not list trans fats in the listing of different fats found on food labels. All of these examples make me wonder about things I haven't caught. I hope that all of this information is updated and corrected in a fifth edition.

I found his points to be interesting. Of course this book only sells for about $12 (paperback) at Amazon.com that is a very good deal if you ask me.

My other question would be this. Is all of the information something you could not obtain from the internet?

Of course it is nice to have a book as a resource. But I was curious.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Food Lover's Companion by luvnit (With all this talk l...)
I really don't know how to respond to that person's review of her book - it's as if the person is comparing apples and oranges.

"In contrast, the latest _Joy of Cooking_ (2006) not only notes this, it also warns readers to avoid eating brains for that reason."

FLC is not a cookbook, it's a dictionary - imo, the reviewer was looking for items that were not intended to be included, but, since she's dead, guess we'll never know.

Personally, I find the book very helpful for quick references - if someone is looking to research, I'd suggest other methods.

That reviewer kind of ticked me off, I think I'll think about this a while and come back here tomorrow....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Food Lover's Companion by cjs (I really don't know ...)
" Personally, I find the book very helpful for quick references "

I agree. One could find all the info on the net, but it would take me ages to ever find what I was looking for. For a comparison, I have and use the old, old, Joy Of Cooking. It doesn't mention Mad Cow Disease, but that's not the kind of info I'm looking for in the book. And probably one of the reasons I will not buy the new one. OK, Jean, see you tomorrow!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Food Lover's Companion by Lorraine (" Personally, I find...)
It is a very handy little volume, I love mine. Bear in mind it is not a medical dictionary. If mad cow was included so should all manner of info. And mad cow has global exposure now.
  Re: Re: Food Lover's Companion by cjs (I really don't know ...)
I think the reviewer is a member of the Food Police. OMG, deliver me!! Must we also mention torture of Lobsters? Not to mention the murder of oysters--alive!!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Food Lover's Companion by luvnit (With all this talk l...)
I live by my Food Lover's Companion! I have two copies...one at work and one at home. I will get the 4th Edition and will then have three copies...

I think of any kind or critic as not being one to listen to...I like to form my own opinions and have been known to love movies, books and restaurants that get terrible reviews and hate the ones that get great reviews. Taste, like beauty, is in the "eye of the beholder."

It is a RESOURCE book not a cook book and if used as a RESOURCE book it is a great book to have in your food library. If you want to use it to learn techniques and cooking it will not do you much good. It would be like buying Sports Illustrated and expecting to find what you get in C@H!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Food Lover's Companion by firechef (I live by my Food Lo...)
Very good points. All of you. It brings it into prospective for me. I have never read the book and cannot comment on the benefits. But I agree with all of your counter-reviews.

There were only 6 reviews on this book on Amazon.com. This one and 5 very good ones. Not much to go on. (IMHO)

Thanks!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Food Lover's Companion by luvnit (Very good points. Al...)
I don't think I even need to add anything today...everyone else stated the case very nicely - must admit the only "reviewers" I really pay attention to are reviews of recipes to see what folks do differently to the dish. Except those that start out, "I've not made this dish but....." But, I digress...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Food Lover's Companion by cjs (I don't think I even...)
Just got mine last week and I love it! I think it will be a constant companion.

OT - I also got Peterson's book on sauces - WOW!! And this week I scored James Beard's "Hors d'oeuvres & Canapes" (for 99 cents!!! giggle - plus shipping!)
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Food Lover's Companion by Harborwitch (Just got mine last w...)
Roxanne - Did you get your new bookshelves, too? I'm running out of space myself and either have to get more storage or be more selective!