Skinny Meatloaf Review
  Re: (...)
Made the meatloaf from the current issue last night. I hadn't made a meatloaf in a looooong time. My old standby recipe calls for quick oats instead of bread crumbs and a cup of milk. I used panko for the bread and substituted a whole egg for the whites of two eggs. I liked the cooking method where you bake the loaf on a broiler pan to let the greese drip away. I ended up doubling the recipe because the meat counter was out of about everthing when I was shopping last weekend (students are back and shopping for the new semester - always a busy weekend at the local stores. I should have known better and stayed home!) so I had to buy 1 # pkgs of the beef, pork & turkey.

There was very little grease to catch, and I liked the loaf shape better than the loaf lifted out of a pan. I didn't make the sherry mushroom sauce that is to accompany it. Served it with the cauliflower mashed (saving review for Lab's bday review) and carrots cooked in a honey, orange juice and butter. It was a nice comfort food dinner on a cold night.
  Re: Skinny Meatloaf Review by HomeCulinarian (Made the meatloaf fr...)
Oh, meatloaf sandwiches!!! Not many sandwiches can top that.

O.K, now I know what I'm having with the cauliflower mashed tatoes... two night's menus cast in stone.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Sounds great! You must have had pretty lean meat to start with (for the lack of grease). I always use lean meat, you just get more for your money and who needs the grease.

I too will be making the califlower mashed potatoes soon. We will see if my son eats them. He's like 'the princess and the pea' when it comes to finding veggies in his food. He must have the reincarnated tastebuds of Sherlock Holmes.

So do you think using lean meat you could skip using the broiler pan? Just curious. I hate digging that thing out
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Skinny Meatloaf Review by luvnit (Sounds great! You m...)
I've been using the new loaf pan that has an insert with holes in it to drain the grease. Works really well.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Skinny Meatloaf Review by bjcotton (I've been using the ...)
Wow! I have never heard of this meatloaf pan before. Very cool Billy. I found one by Kitchenaid at Amazon.com. What a great idea!

[Image: 51G2BNY1JZL._AA280_.jpg] [Image: 41RWF8X6K9L._AA280_.jpg]
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Skinny Meatloaf Review by luvnit (Sounds great! You m...)
I used 90% lean beef. Turkey was 97% lean, and the pork package didn't indicate fat content. The loaf really produced hardly any drippings. I think you could bake it on a rimmed baking sheet and it would be fine.

When making my old recipe, I would fold a piece of foil to fit the narrow width of the loaf pan with the tails hanging over to make "handles" and then lift the cooked loaf out of the pan, move it to a platter to cut and serve. My old recipe is too loose with a cup of milk and I don't think it would form a nice loaf to cook on the broiler pan.

I've seen those meatloaf pans and since we hardly make it any more, didn't get one. Actually, teenage daughter noted that I used to make meatloaf so often when she was little she grew to hate it. Since she hadn't had any in such a long time it was something new. She enjoyed it.

For the mashed with cauliflower, I didn't tell her they were different before she tried some. She couldn't tell!
I still don't have my first subscription edition so can't comment on recipe but I never bake meatloaf in a "meatloaf pan"--I do mini meatloafs and bake them in a large pyrex baking dish so fat content from ground chuck and pork goes into the bottom of dish instead of staying on the loaf pan.
Madeline