New spices, oils, etc
  Re: (...)
Between the new store in Charlottesville (World Market) and a great Marche de Terroir (they sell almost exclusively locally made products), I came home with a suitcase full of great finds.

Sansho (Seven Spice Blend)Shichimi Togarashi, Flavourful Japanese spice blend that has a chili heat with a note of citrus.

Panch Phoran. 5 spice Bengall mix of seeds to roast with oil or ghee.

Ras-El-Hanout. Complex mix of aromatic spices and herbs

Phuket. (Green Curry Powder) A delightfully spicy Southern Thai style curry blend, with a fragrant, fruity, sweet and tart blend of flavours.

Dukkah I'll have to look this one up. I didn't know what to do with it, so rubbed it on chicken tenders and fried them. Then I read to di[ bread in oil, then in the mixture, then eat the bread.

Wild Grape Blossom Vinegar

Fleurs d'Ail (Garlic flowers chopped in oil)

2 X Cheese Tartinades (spreads to be used with cheese)
Date. Crab Apple, Roasted Cumin
Cranberry, Raspberry, Ginseng, Star Anise

Late Harvest White Wine Jelly

Huile de Bolets. Grape Seed Oil and Bolets (Wild Mushrroms)

I bought some other spice blends in VA, but they appear to have stayed there. wonder how that happened???? The store in Montreal gave us tastes of most of what we bought. The Mushroom Oil and Wild Grape Balsamic were incredible! It'll take me awhile to figure out what to do with them all, but I'm sure I'll have fun experimenting.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: New spices, oils, etc by Lorraine (Between the new stor...)
Drool!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Drool is right!

I just made up a batch of Ras El Hanout - just the smell drives me nuts! Does yours have the rose petals in it?? Lavender??? I gather that there are as many versions as there are people!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Wow, what tremendous loot you've stumbled upon! I wish I had some way to use even a tiny bit of this. Enjoy your bounty!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: New spices, oils, etc by labradors (Drool!...)
oh man, I'm with labs, just drooling all over the place. I'm going to print out your list of goodies, for when we get to the big city, I can search for a few.

Have fun with it all!

"Huile de Bolets" - uh...oiled wild mushrooms??

OH, I found a recipe for Dukkah - great sounding mix of spices. What ingredients does yours show?

Dukkah: Egyptian street vendors sell small paper cones with the unique dukkah blend, along with strips of pita bread. Customers then dip the bread into the vendor's bowl of olive oil and then their dukkah.

1/2 cup hazelnuts
1/4 cup coriander seeds
3 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons cumin seeds
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon dried mint leaves
1 teaspoon salt

Heat a heavy skillet over high heat, add the hazelnuts, and dry-toast until slightly browned and fragrant, being careful that they don't burn. Remove from the heat and cool completely. Repeat the procedure with each of the seeds and the peppercorns.

Allow each of them to cool completely.
Place the nuts and seeds, along with the mint and salt, into a mortar and pound until the mixture is crushed. Or pulse in a food processor to a coarse consistency; do not allow the mixture to become a paste.

Store in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 1 month.
Yield: 1 cup.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: New spices, oils, etc by cjs (oh man, I'm with lab...)
Gracious, I want some dukkah right now!

The only thing I have out of that group is plain old Grapeseed Oil. I've never seen a flavored one.
Cory

I am not the model.
Wow Lorraine! The vinegar and mushroom oil were the ones that jumped out at me when I read your list.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
""Huile de Bolets" - uh...oiled wild mushrooms?? "

No, it's oil flavoured with the wild mushrooms. It has a great smell, and taste.

" Ras El Hanout - just the smell drives me nuts! Does yours have the rose petals in it?? Lavender??? "

Sharon, the ingredients say" Lavendar flowers and rose petals". the smell is incredible!!

The Dukkah lists: White coriander seeds, white sesame seeds, pistachio nuts, hazelnuts, cumin, sea salt, black pepper, peppermint. This is translated loosely from French, so I think the peppermint is just plain mint.

Corinne, you're lucky, I've never owned grapeseed oil, nor have I ever knowingly tried it!!

My sister gave him some sea salts, made by a quebec (very small) company. He got: Herbed Sea Salts, Fagara (coarse sea salt, and Zhechuan pepper)and gomassio (made with sesame seeds). They somehow stayed here.

I also have a Napa Valley "Pork and Lamb Rub". Unfortunately, all the ingredients say is "spices, sea salt, sugar, lemon peel, onion". I haven't opened it yet to smell it.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
What's sa matter Jean? Didn't get enough spices, etc., for Christmas dear?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: New spices, oils, etc by bjcotton (What's sa matter Jea...)
Always on the look out Billy...always hi stranger.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com