Yet another..."Pastry Challenge"
  Re: (...)
Since the first one got people thinking of new and exciting ideas for their homes and around here in general here's another one for you all to think of...Jean might just know this one...anyone else know of it without peeking in Google???

Here it is "Challenge" #2:

Roscón De Reyes

Be back later with the details I know
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Yet another..."Pastry Challenge" by firechef (Since the first one ...)
Let's just say that when people find out, it will be an Epiphany.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Yet another..."Pastry Challenge" by labradors (Let's just say that ...)
nope, I'll have to go look.....

Oh thanks a lot, four more days of deprivation and I have to look at something like that???? You are a bad man.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Yet another..."Pastry Challenge" by cjs (nope, I'll have to g...)
NOT A CLUE---can I go and peek now???

I just know that I will be dorked on this but....what the heck!!!

Waiting for the epipany, firechef (LJ)
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Yet another..."Pastry Challenge" by Roxanne 21 (NOT A CLUE---can I g...)
Quote:

Waiting for the epipany, firechef (LJ)

If you are waiting for the Epiphany, it will be almost a year, since we just past it ten days ago.
  Re: Re: Yet another..."Pastry Challenge" by labradors (Let's just say that ...)
Labs, I figured you would know that one!

Looks fun, LJ. Did you make this already? Where do you find these things?

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Yet another..."Pastry Challenge" by pjcooks (Labs, I figured you ...)
I was going to say "I don't have a clue", but I think all that talk about the "epiphany" gave it away!!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Yet another..."Pastry Challenge" by Lorraine (I was going to say "...)
I REALLY should have paid more attention when my kids' second grade teachers did their Christmas Around the World Thematic Unit.

Yes, I looked...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Yet another..."Pastry Challenge" by firechef (Since the first one ...)
Roscón De Reyes

1/2 cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
Minced zest of 1/2 lemon
Minced zest of 1/2 orange
2 1/2 teaspoons (1 envelope) active dry yeast
2/3 cup milk, heated to lukewarm (90°F to 100°F)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 eggs
3 tablespoons orange-flower water
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups unbleached all purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
olive oil for preparing pan
1/2 cup candied fruits, finely chopped, optional
whipped cream, chocolate whipped cream, meringue, or pastry cream optional for filling

1. In a food processor or blender, combine the 1/2 cup sugar and both citrus zests and process on high speed until you have a mixture of fine particle. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm milk and let stand for about 5 minutes, or until foamy.
3. Add sugar-zest mixture, the butter, 2 of the eggs, the orange flower water, and the salt and stir with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are well mixed.
4. Add half the flour to the milk mixture and mix with your hands until well blended. Add the remaining flour and continue mixing until all the flour is incorporated.
5. Knead the dough in the bowl for a few minutes until it is smooth, flexible, and no longer sticky.
6. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and let the dough rest in a warm spot for about 1 hour, or until it has roughly doubled in size.
7. Preheat the oven to its lowest setting and brush rimmed baking sheet with olive oil.
8. Punch down the dough. On a floured work surface, using your palms, roll the dough back and forth until it forms a log about 30 inches long and 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Place it on the prepared baking sheet and bring the ends together to form a circle with a hole in the center 4 to 5 inches in diameter, forming a "crown". Alternatively, divide the dough in half and form 2 logs each 15 inches long and 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Form the logs into 2 crowns on the baking sheet.
9. Fill an ovenproof bowl with water and place it at the rear of the oven.
10. Place the baking sheet with the dough crown in the oven. Let the dough rise for about 1 hour, or until nearly doubled in size.
11. Remove the pan from the oven and increase the oven temperature to 400°F. Break the remaining egg into a small bowl, beat until blended, and brush it onto the crown(s). Scatter the candied fruits evenly over the top(s), if desired, and sprinkle evenly with the sugar.
12. Bake the cake(s) for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool on the pan.
13. Transfer to a serving plate and serve at room temperature.
14. If desired, carefully slice the cake in half length wise. Spread the inside with the filling of your choice and top with the other half of cake.

Makes 1 15 inch or 2 8 inch coil cakes.

A little bit more about the recipe abouve...Roscón de Reyes...
This delicious bready cake is eaten with hot chocolate on the night of epiphany when the Wise men come and leave gifts for children. Although Spanish families with children now usually use the figure of Father Christmas on Christmas Eve rather waiting until 5th January and Epiphany, most families still celebrate "Kings Day" with the traditional Roscón de Reyes and chocolate.

This one I have made as well as the 1st Challenge item...I love eating and cooking the dishes of other "people" and really like to know the history and stories of what I cook and eat...it makes it more "personal" and makes it so I can almost relate to the people that eat the dish and allows me to take their traditions and add them to my family traditions that Holly and I hope to develop for our own family as it ages and grows. I hope to pass this love of others and their cultures on to Kambree as she gets older.

Strange I know but as I do more I will be sure to share!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Yet another..."Pastry Challenge"...REVEALED!!! by firechef (Roscón De Reyes[br][...)
Just to clarify: January 5th is, as stated, "the night [that is, eve] of Epiphany." Epiphany, itself, is the 6th. Hence, the twelve days of Christmas: December 25th through January 5th, with Epiphany, on the 6th, beginning a different segment of the church calendar.