Old Family Recipes
  Re: Re: Old Family Recipes by pink_eagle (Gosh, thanks for sha...)
FireChef, I have to try the OSTKAKA. Do you think it would work if I cut it to 1/4 the recipe? I've never heard of anything like this and it sounds so interesting.

Also, do you use white or red grape juice in the sauce?
Cory

I am not the model.
  Re: Re: Old Family Recipes by Corinne (FireChef, I have to ...)
I am thinking it would work fine quartered as long as everything is quartered. It does not make too much as a bunch of the liquid is drained off.

I have always had it with lingonberries...but as for the grape juice I have only seen it with the purple/red stuff.

Let me know how it turns out...they say it takes practice to get it right so I am always looking for others that got it right the first time like I did...made a couple of older ladies quite unhappy and lifted a bunch of stress off the future mother in law...now she doesn't have to make it when the family gathers up north.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Old Family Recipes by firechef (I am thinking it wou...)
Do you make it with fresh, frozen or canned lingonberries? I've never seen a lingonberry in my life that I know of but I think I remember seeing a can in the fruit section at the supermarket.

I need to put rennet on my shopping list. I probably won't make this until next weekend.

We're supposed to make pasta (birthday gift from the kids) this weekend but I believe there's too many football activities going on.
Cory

I am not the model.
  Re: Re: Old Family Recipes by Corinne (Do you make it with ...)
I get lingonberry preserves from Holly's Aunt and she gets them from a "secret" source. I am sure canned are fine...they have a different taste...kind of tart but not too tart.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Old Family Recipes by firechef (I get lingonberry pr...)
I'm sure I'll be able to find the preserves. Thank you for that idea.
Cory

I am not the model.
  Re: Re: Old Family Recipes by Corinne (I'm sure I'll be abl...)
one of our 'anon' friends was looking at this thread - what a fun one it was! Lots of great family recipe. Any more to add???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Old Family Recipes by cjs (one of our 'anon' fr...)
No but it is a good reminder to me that I should make this for Thanksgiving!
  Re: Re: Old Family Recipes by firechef (No but it is a good ...)
I think this is almost the same "Jewish Apple Cake" recipe my grandmother (who would be 102 if she were alive today) made though I think she used four apples instead of three. My mom always made it at Christmas (though it was her mother in law's recipe, not her mom's - want to get the grandmother straight!). It is so good with a cup of coffee or tea for breakfast or dessert. I haven't made it in several years but just may have to soon. I do have a copy of the recipe in my binder in her handwriting. I think it's the only thing I have in her handwriting actually. Try it - I know you will like it!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Jewish-Appl...etail.aspx
  Re: Re: Old Family Recipes by Trixxee (I think this is almo...)
Here's our family's most favorite version of Mac & Cheese
Cook elbows according to directions add 2C frozen broccoli to the water til cooked, drain.
Stir in one can crm mush soup. Over low heat add shredded cheeses cheddar, mex blend whatever. Stir til melted and add desired amount of milk, up to one soup can worth.
Serve warm and creamy. YUM
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Old Family Recipes by farnfam (Here's our family's ...)
Here's one we have fixed forever. Before the advent of canned "Cream of" soups we just used a bechemel sauce or a cheese sauce.

* Exported from MasterCook *

**** and Noodle Stuff

Recipe By :Fredia Wikstrom
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:15
Categories : Meats-Game

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 package pasta, egg noodles or whatever
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1 can milk
cheddar cheese -- shredded
left over beef, ham, pork, poultry, etc. -- cut into bite size

Preheat oven to 350F.

Prepare pasta as directed. Drain.

In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients except shredded cheddar cheese and pasta; heat until hot.

Combine pasta and soup/meat mixture; cover with shredded cheese and bake until slightly browned and bubbly.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy