Old Family Recipes
  Re: Re: Old Family Recipes by smschwag (This is one of my mi...)
Hamburg and Cabbage

Fry up some onion in butter or oil until golden then throw in some hamburger until browned through---add some spices according to what you like... once all has melded add some shredded cabbage until it is wilted (like very wilted!!! Simple and a very hearty Polish dish---especially the next day---- I haven't made this in years but Mom ALWAYS makes this when I visit her My brother loves it though--- Nice with some homemade biscuits>
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Old Family Recipes by Roxanne 21 (Hamburg and Cabbage[...)
Roxanne, I make a dish like that called _Unstuffed Cabbage_. We add a can of tomato soup to the hamburger, cabbage and spices.

Unstuffed cabbage (skillet)

6 c chopped green cabbage (buy a bag of pre-shredded coleslaw cabbage to save time)
1 lb lean ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 c water
2 cans tomato soup
2 c instant brown rice (not cooked)
1/3 c grated or shredded cheddar cheese

edit - I add a whole lot of Stuffed Cabbage spices
Cory

I am not the model.
  Re: Re: Old Family Recipes by Corinne (Roxanne, I make a di...)
I tried this earlier but ran into connectivity problems. My mother was from the South and the only recipe of her family that he enjoyed was her cabbage:

4 slices of bacon
2 medium onions, sliced
1 small head of cabbage shredded
1/2 cup of water
salt & pepper to taste

In a large skillet brown the bacon, remove drain and crumble, reserve.

Remove all but 1T of bacon fat, and soften the onions.

Add cabbage, salt and pepper to taste, water and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and steam until cabbage is soft 10-15 minutes. Add crumbled bacon before serving.
  Re: Re: Old Family Recipes by smschwag (This is one of my mi...)
that has great appeal Shirley, I always add some sugar when cooking tomatoes, but I would query equal amounts. Is this not too sweet?
  Re: Re: Old Family Recipes by vannin (that has great appea...)

really enjoying the recipes - I grew up with lots of these or a variation of
them.

Great Thread.

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
OK, here goes….

We have a family favorite called Chicken and Pastry. It is much like what most of you would call chicken and dumplings. The biggest difference is the pastry. Some people add the chicken back to the pot, some do not. We were in the “do not” camp because my mother would “stretch” the meal to make chicken salad which would last for two meals. I digress…the pastry…

Mix enough flour and water to form a dough….much like pizza dough. Divide and chill. Roll pastry out on a floured surface very thin and cut into one inch strips approx. four to six inches long. Allow to dry slightly before adding to broth which has been brought to a rolling boil. Cook until done. The broth will thicken slightly while pastry cooks. YUM!

There’s my Daddy’s Brunswick Stew, but I already posted that…so moving on… My grandmother recently passed and I got her individual casserole dishes she used for this one. It sounds weird, but tastes good…Real comfort food…

* Exported from MasterCook *

Granny's Hamburger Pie

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 lg. onion -- diced
2 cans tomato soup
3 lg. potatoes -- boiled and mashed with salt, pepper, butter, milk (3 to 4)
1/2 stick butter
1 cup evaporated skim milk -- heated
2 cans french-style green beans
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef, lean

Brown hamburger and onion in large pot. Drain fat and add green beans and tomato soup. Salt and pepper to taste. Place in casserole dish and spread mashed potatoes over the top. Sprinkle cheese over potatoes.

Description:
"This is a recipe that Granny used to make. I remember as a kid she would bake this in individual serving dishes."

I used to live close to spend a lot of time at my grandparent’s farm. At every meal were the BEST biscuits you could ever imagine. My mother recently walked me through the process. Here is what I came up with. Mine were slightly crumbly and definitely needed work.

In a brownie style pan, add 4 to 5 cups of all purpose flour. Mix in 1 cup of buttermilk and 1/3 cup of lard cutting in the flour to get the “right” consistency. Pinch off dough to form biscuits on a greased cookie sheet, dot with butter and place in a preheated 350 to 400 degree oven. Bake until golden. Serve with butter, molasses, or left over country ham or sausage like a sandwich. My granddaddy’s favorite was to place in a bowl with fresh black or blueberries and topped with fresh milk or ice cream.

Finally is my mother’s Chocolate Pie recipe. She loved her aunt’s chocolate pies and asked for the recipe. My aunt informed her she didn’t have a recipe, so my mother sat down one day and recorded what my aunt did to make this AWESOME CANNOT BE MATCHED Chocolate Pie:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Aunt Oleta's Chocolate Pie

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Dessert

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups milk
4 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons cocoa -- or as much as 4
1 pat butter
3 egg yolks -- separated
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 pie crust
3 egg whites -- or more if needed
3 teaspoons sugar -- one per egg white used
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Bake pie crust according to packaga directions.
Reset oven temperature to 350 degrees.
Mix sugar, flour and cocoa. Add milk and cook in heavy saucepan on medium heat until it begins to thicken. Mixture should coat the back of your spoon.
Beat egg yolks in small mixing bowl. Add several spoonfuls of chocolate mixture to egg yolks to temper the eggs, mixing well. Then add this back into chocolate mixture and reduce heat to medium low. Mix well.
Cook custard until thickened, stirring frequently to prevent it from sticking. When ready, iIt should have the consistency of chocolate pudding and cling to the back of your spoon.
Remove custard from heat and add the pat of butter. Stir well and allow to cool.
Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until frothy. Gradually add the sugar, one teaspoon at a time, beating well after each addition.
When meringue forms stiff peaks when beaters are removed from bowl, the meringue is ready. Blend in vanilla with a spoon.
Pour custard into baked pie crust and top with meringue.
Bake pie in 350 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until meringue is nicely browned.

Description:
"My great aunt used to make the best chocolate pie, but she had no recipe. One day, my mother sat down to record how she made it. This is the recipe!"

NOTES : To prevent meringue from "weeping" (forming those syrup drops on meringue when cooked) and to prevent meringue from separating from the custard, make sure eggs are brought to room tempurature before using. Also, make sure each teaspoon of sugar is well blended. Finally, make sure the temperature of your oven is not too hot by using an inexpensive oven thermometer.

A pat of butter is the size of butter that used to be offered in bowls in restaurants with bread. It is about a fourth of a tablespoon.

I wish I had my mother’s BBQ chicken recipe she used to make which she just recently found. I have many fond memories of coming home from church to the smell of that baking in the oven with “fresh” baked potatoes in foil and baked beans in Mom’s special crock topped with crispy bacon…..MMMM!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Old Family Recipes by smschwag (With all the talk ab...)
Ostkaka...a very special Swedish dessert that has appeared at all family gatherings involving Holly's Dad's family as long as I have known them and for many generations before that according to family stories...

OSTKAKA

1 Gallon Fresh Whole Milk
1 Cup Flour
5 Eggs
1 tsp Rennet (may use Rennet tablet)
1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Cream
1 tsp Vanilla
Pinch of Salt

Heat milk until lukewarm.
Mix flour and 1 egg with some of the milk to make a thin paste.
Stir in remaining milk.
Stir in Rennet and stir thoroughly.
Let set until firm.
Take a knife or large spoon and stir back and forth to separate the curd from the whey.
Let stand at least 15 to 20 minutes.
Drain off all whey EXCEPT 1 cup.
Beat 4 eggs, sugar, salt cream and vanilla.
Pour over curd and place in casserole dish and bake in "slow oven" until LIGHTLY browned and firm in the center.
Test with a knife as you do for custard.

Best served with LINGONBERRIES or GRAPE SAUCE (KRAM)...

GRAPE SAUCE for OSTKAKA

2 Cups Grape Juice
1 Cup Water
3/4 Cup Sugar
3 Tbsp Corn Starch
Water (for corn starch)

Bring grape juice, sugar and water to a boil.
Stir in corn starch which has been mixed to a smooth paste with water.
Cook until thick.

It is said in Swedish families that not liking Ostkaka is a sign of having "bad taste." I have great taste and thanks in part to that great taste I am the first non-direct family member entrusted to carry on the family recipe once Holly's Aunt that makes this for the family now passes on.

ENJOY!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
It is sweet, vannin. It's preserves for toast & biscuits etc. (Like a jelly or jam)
Shirley
  Re: Re: Old Family Recipes by smschwag (It is sweet, vannin....)
Thanks shirley, will try that.
  Re: Old Family Recipes by smschwag (With all the talk ab...)
Gosh, thanks for sharing. I have at least one or two to share also--it's difficult to decide which of many to include. Will post on Sunday (hopefully) or next Tuesday. Gone all day this Friday, host friends on Saturday nite (appets & drinks before dinner out), Sunday cook beef stew for eight, host bridge on Monday (lunch for 4)--and then next Thursday (1/24) host wine tasting group for 16 (whew!--January seems to be my month for entertaining). Don't you just love reitrement? However, in between, loving this forum!
Madeline