Old Family Recipes
  Re: (...)
With all the talk about family cookbooks, I thought it might be fun to have a thread where we can post some of our old family recipes.

This is one that both my mother and mil used to make. Unless you are from the Cincinnati area you probably have never heard of it.

CITY CHICKEN
Serves: 6 – 8

1 lb. pork cubes
1 lb. veal cubes
6 – 8 wooden skewers
About 1 – 2 cups bread crumbs, seasoned with salt and pepper
1 egg, slightly beaten with about 1 tbsp of water

Trim any excess fat off of the meat cubes. Alternate the veal and pork cubes on the skewers, packing them tightly together but leaving enough room on each end to hold with your fingers. Put the bread crumbs on waxed paper or parchment paper and season with salt and pepper. Beat the egg with the water in a flat soup bowl. Roll each meat filled skewer in the bread crumbs, then in the egg mixture, then back in the bread crumbs.

Place about 1-2 tbsp oil in a deep, lidded skillet large enough to hold all of the city chicken and heat over medium heat. Add the meat filled skewers and brown the meat on all sides. When the meat is thoroughly browned, add about 1 cup of water to the bottom of the pan (don’t pour over the meat); cover the skillet, reduce the heat so that the water is just simmering and continue cooking for about 1 to 1½ hours or until the meat is tender. Check often to be sure there is enough water, adding more if needed.
Shirley
  Re: Old Family Recipes by smschwag (With all the talk ab...)
That is pretty neat...I'll go look for my grandmother's New England Boiled Dinner recipe and be back.

Here's an interesting one I saw in the background on the History Channel this morning...in the background of a piece on NYC was a sign with meat prices on it:
Lamb 12 cents per pound
Bacon 13 cents per pound
Ham 11 cents per pound
Veal 10 cents per pound

There were others but didn't see the sign long enough to get them down...not only were the "old family recipes" good to eat but at some point they were CHEAP too! The sign was from 1915!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Old Family Recipes by firechef (That is pretty neat....)
Oh Shirley, that sounds like something I've got to try.

Well, I tried to pick out the favorite, but how the heck can a person stop at one recipe, so here's my top recipes from when the kids were little -

MEXIMUFFINS
We made these for parties, took on camping trips and made them just anytime the mood struck us.

I can chopped Ortega chilies
1 can chopped olives
l can (small) tomato sauce
1/4 cup oil
12-15 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
8-oz mushrooms, stems & pcs.
2 pkgs. English muffins

Mix together (cold) and put in refrigerator. Put on English Muffins and put under broiler till bubbly. Serve hot.
One recipe enough for 2 pkgs. of muffins.

-----

CORN SURPRISE
This came about years ago cleaning out the pantry/fridge to put dinner on the table and we all loved the flavors together

1 can cream style corn
1 can tomato soup
8 ounces long pasta -- cooked
3/4 cup cheddar cheese (~3 oz.) -- grated
3/4 cup swiss cheese (~3 oz.) -- grated
6 slices bacon -- fried & crumbled
1 pound ground beef
1 onion -- chopped
1/2 green pepper -- chopped
2 cloves garlic -- finely chopped
1/2 cup mushrooms -- sliced

Fry bacon, remove from pan & set aside.
In same pan, brown ground beef, onion, bell pepper & garlic just till meat is brown.

In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients, holding back 1/3 cup of each cheese, mix well & put in a greased casserole. Top with the remaining cheese.
Bake in 350 oven for 30-45 min., or till bubbly.

…and for summer –

MACARONI SALAD
A friend of my mother's from work gave us this recipe - it's the kind of salad you sneak into the fridge to grab a forkful all day!!

2 cups salad macaroni -- cooked
2 cans kidney beans
1 cup chopped celery
1 onion -- chopped finely
1 can pimento -- chopped
Salt & Pepper
6 sweet pickles -- chopped
Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip -- to moisten

Cook macaroni in salted water.
Rinse thoroughly in cold water.
Drain the kidney beans.
Mix all independents in a large bowl and moisten with mayo/Miracle whip.
Let salad rest in refrigerator several hours or overnight so flavors will blend.
-----

BUD'S BEANS
"Bud" was my dad and the only thing he ever did in the kitchen was enjoy the smells - he couldn't cook a lick! But, these beans he absolutely loved and the whole family was right behind him.

2 Tbsps butter
1 lb hamburger -- browned in above butter
1 pkg Lipton onion soup mix
1/2 cup water
1 cup ketchup
2 Tbsps mustard
2 tsps vinegar
2 l-lb. cans B&M Baked beans
1 1 lb. can Kidney beans -- drained

Mix all together, cover and bake 400° for 30-40 min.

----

O.K., I'll restrain myself and stop at these. LOVE THIS THREAD!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Old Family Recipes by cjs (Oh Shirley, that sou...)
This is one that I made frequently when my kids were growing up and still enjoy it often.

OVEN BBQ SWISS STEAK

Serves: 6

1/3 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 lb. round steak, 1” thick
2 – 8 oz. cans (2 cups) seasoned Tomato Sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 medium onion, sliced

Preheat oven to 350°

Combine the flour, with the salt and pepper. Coat the meat on both sides with the seasoned flour. Heat 2 tbsps oil in a dutch oven and brown the steak well on both sides. Spoon off any excess fat. Combine the tomato sauce, sugar, vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce in a large measuring cup and pour over the browned meat. Simmer 5 minutes uncovered, while you peel and slice the onions. Lay the onion slices over the sauce covered meat.

Cover and bake in 350° oven for 1- 1½ hours or until the meat is tender when tested with a fork.

Really good with creamy mashed potatoes!
Shirley
  Re: Re: Old Family Recipes by smschwag (This is one that I m...)
My kids loved this, probably because it would be ready when we got home from skiing all day and they were starving.

We call it Apres Ski Stew.

Apres Ski Stew

1 1/2 - 2 lbs lean stew meat
Cut up one potato or so, per person
Carrots, chunked
Onion, chopped
Celery, chunked
2 cups canned tomatos, tomato juice or V-8
Season to taste (garlic, salt, pepper, herbs)
3 T tapioca

In 13x9 casserole, add the meat and vegetables. Sprinkle with tapioca and seasonings. Pour on juice or tomatos. Cover with foil and bake at 250* for 5 hrs or so.

I tried this in the crockpot but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much.
Cory

I am not the model.
This is a really fun thread! I love these types of recipes.

Here is one I will share. The recipe calls for chicken, but was invented out of a necessity to get rid of leftover turkey and stuffing. The sauce is served 'on the side' and is simply terrific.

Turkey Stuffing Squares
8 oz. pkg. stuffing mix
2 cups bread crumbs
1 cup chicken broth
½ cup melted butter
4 cups chopped chicken
½ cup celery, chopped
½ cup onion, chopped
½ cup miracle whip
¾ t. salt
2 eggs
1 ½ cup milk
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup cheddar cheese

Combine stuffing mix and bread crumbs, butter, chicken broth and water (if necessary) to moisten. Put half in a greased 9x13 pan. Mix chicken, onion, celery, miracle whip and salt. Mix and spread over stuffing. Spread rest of stuffing mixture on top. Beat eggs and milk, pour over entire pan. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight. Bake at 350 degrees; for 60 minutes. Spread cream of mushroom soup on top and sprinkle with cheese. Bake another 15 minutes.

Sauce:

1 can cream of mushroom soup
4 T. milk
1 cup sour cream
2/3 cup green olives, chopped

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and heat through.

Serve sauce on the side to be topped on squares if desired.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
Quote:

This is one that both my mother and mil used to make. Unless you are from the Cincinnati area you probably have never heard of it.

Nope, never heard of it. Sounds really good though. My son, the carnivore, would LOVE this one!

I am gonna have to try this.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Old Family Recipes by luvnit ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
That's one I would do, Laura - good ideas coming.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Old Family Recipes by cjs (That's one I would d...)
Cory's stew and Laura's Turkey Stuffing Squares are on my list to try. They all sound great.

I was looking through my cookbooks for one on shaping Danish pastry for another thread and came across one that I got some time ago titled "Endangered Recipes" subtitled "Too Good to Be Forgotten", by Lari Robling. It has lots of old recipes and stories about them. The kind of recipes we have been talking about.
Shirley
  Re: Re: Old Family Recipes by smschwag (Cory's stew and Laur...)
This is one of my mil's recipes. It was very general in quantities so I have added some clues based on my experience. I don't know if many of you have had Tomato Preserves before but they are yummy on toast or biscuits.

TOMATO PRESERVES
Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil. Put tomatoes into scalding water until skins split. Take tomatoes out of the water with a slotted spoon. Peel off skins and take out cores. Cook pulp (removing excess water) until most of water is cooked away. Slice lemon into razor thin slices. Put lemon slices and cinnamon sticks into tomato pulp. Let cook until lemon slices are soft and transparent. Measure the tomato pulp. Add an equal amount of sugar. Put back on heat; boil, stirring frequently, until no water bubbles to top. Leave low fire under preserves while filling sterilized jars. Cover with paraffin.

To Sterilize Jars: Wash jars with hot soapy water, rinse, fill jars with real hot water; let set. Pour out water; turn jars to drain on clean towel; dry with clean towel.

Shirley’s Notes:
There are no quantities listed. It depends on how many tomatoes you have and you adjust the other ingredients accordingly. I made these recently from about 30 lbs of tomatoes and used 8 cinnamon sticks and 10 lemon slices.

Modern version of sterilizing the jars would be to wash the jars and let them dry in the dishwasher. Remove from dishwasher and place upside down on clean towel until ready to fill.
Shirley