Italian Bread Help UpDate for Daphne
  Re: (...)
I forgot my poulash (sp?) again last night, but no worry...I've been wanting to try this Italian Bread recipe which does not need to be started the night before. Now I could do a rustic bread I do often, but thought I'd test a new recipe. When I looked at it I found something curious about it.

Why the two bread flour measures? The extra 12 oz. seems like it's for a poulish, but there is no mention in the recipe. Does anyone have the book by Wayne Gisslen to offer some help?

* Exported from MasterCook *

Italian Bread

Recipe By astrygal
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Baked Goods

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
16 oz water -- @120°
1/3 oz dry yeast
3/4 tsp molasses
1 lb bread flour -- or KA All purp flour is fine
12 oz bread flour -- or KA All purp flour is fine
1/2 oz salt

In glass measure, add water and molasses. Stir to combine. Add dry yeast and whisk to mix. It will bubble after a few mins. That's how you know the yeast is alive. You can add 1 oz oil to this if you want.

Put flour and salt, whisked to combine, in mixer. Slowly add wet ingred and mix on low until wet incorporates into dry. Knead by hand or in mixer until glutin strands are long. Ferment abt 2 hrs./ doubled in size. Make up loaves, rolls whatever and proof another hour. Bake at 425. Steam first 10 mins.

Source:
"This is Wayne Gisslen's recipe and it's never failed me yet."
S(Internet Address):
"http://forums.chef2chef.net/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=general&Number=86429&Searchpage=4&Main=86168&Words=Focaccia&topic=&Search=true#Post86429"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 2909 Calories; 14g Fat (4.3% calories from fat); 99g Protein; 583g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 5530mg Sodium. Exchanges: 39 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Italian Bread Help UpDate for Daphne by Gourmet_Mom (I forgot my poulash ...)
Looks like a starter to me but then I'm not clued up on this stuff------bread bakers out there???

This is sort of similar to the sourdough and/or Morrocan bread I make......
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Italian Bread Help by Roxanne 21 (Looks like a starter...)
Daphne, I'm looking at Gisslen's Italian bread recipe and I'm not seeing what you posted above. Have you retyped his recipe? I'm asking because the original and the variation both call for 1 lb. 12 oz. flour to 16 oz/1 lb. water. (the variation is 1 lb. bread flour + 12 oz whole wheat flour)

But I don't the the molasses....

My book is the Third edition - what is yours?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Italian Bread Help by cjs (Daphne, I'm looking ...)
Jean, I don't have the book. I got this from "another forum" a while back. I tried the link and it took me to the original post. Somehow, I got the 1 pound and 12 oz. seperated. It appears together in the post. It's rising now. Any advice? Two loaves or one? Retard one if it makes two? If so, how long can I refrigerate?

Also, so I will know for future use, why do you not use the molasses?

Thanks in advance.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Italian Bread Help by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, I don't have t...)
Daphne, not that I know much about baking, but I'd make two loaves. Refrigerate? I don't know...

the molasses? I was just remarking that there is not molasses listed in Gisslen's recipe for the Italian bread - someone must have altered the recipe.

I use molasses in rye bread, but not Italian...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Italian Bread Help by cjs (Daphne, not that I k...)
Thanks for checking Jean! I'll let you know how it turns out.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Italian Bread Help by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for checking ...)
To the top for Daphne - Boy, I sure don't remember this!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Italian Bread Help by cjs (To the top for Daphn...)
Thanks Jean, I knew we had discussed this before...LOL!
Daphne