Almond Joy Cupcakes/Triple Coconut Cake
  Re: (...)
Does anyone have the Cuisine at Home recipe for the Triple Coconut Cake used in the Almond Joy Cupcakes in the April 2007 issue? I cut out the recipe, for the cupcakes, but somehow missed or lost the page that had the recipe for the Triple coconut Cake that they said to use for the cupcakes.
  Re: Almond Joy Cupcakes/Triple Coconut Cake by dcrubin (Does anyone have the...)
First of all, wecome! That was a very good recipe. Let me look it up.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Almond Joy Cupcakes/Triple Coconut Cake by pjcooks (First of all, wecome...)
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!
  Re: Almond Joy Cupcakes/Triple Coconut Cake by dcrubin (Does anyone have the...)
Here ya go!

Coconut Cake
(Cuisine, April 2000, Issue 20, p. 40)

Makes: Three 8" Layers Total Time: 55 Minutes + Bake Time Rating: Easy

For the Coconut Cake—
Sift:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups cake flour
4 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt

Chop:
1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes*

Cream Together:
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temp.

Add:
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 egg yolks

Combine:
2 cups whole milk
1/2 t. imitation coconut flavor

Beat to Soft Peaks; Fold in:
3 egg whites

To Assemble and Finish:
2 1/2 cups sweetened cocnut flakes*

For the Lime Filling—
Combine and Heat:
1/4 cup fresh lime juice, strained
1/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed

Combine:
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
Pinch of salt

Combine and Add:
2 whole eggs
2 egg yolks

Off Heat, Stir in:
1 t. vanilla extract

For the Coconut-Cream Cheese Frosting
Beat Together:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
3 T. whole milk
1 t. imitation coconut flavor

Beat in:
6 1/2 -7 cups powdered sugar

*Editor's Note: The coconut in the batter is chopped, but for the outside and between the layers, it's not. Fluff coconut on a plate before measuring it.

Related Recipes:

Lime Filling

Coconut-Cream Cheese Frosting

Preheat oven to 350°. Grease bottoms only of three 8" cake pans. Top with parchment circles.

Sift dry ingredients for Coconut Cake.

Chop coconut; add to dry mix.

Cream together shortening and butter in a large bowl at medium speed just until creamy.

Add sugar and egg yolks all at once and beat, only until incorporated. Scrape the bowl as needed.

Combine milk and flavoring. Add 3/4 cup flour mixture and 1/2 cup milk mixture alternately to creamed mixture. Beat (low speed) after each addition to incorporate. Begin and end with flour.

Beat egg whites with clean bowl and beaters until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whites into batter with a wire whisk. Divide batter among prepared pans. Spread evenly to edges, making a slight "well" in the center so cake won't dome as it rises. Bake all 3 pans on center rack of oven for 25–30 minutes.

Combine juice and butter for Filling, in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the butter melts.

Combine sugar, corn starch, and salt in small bowl.

Combine eggs in another bowl. Whisk sugar mixture into eggs until smooth. Slowly drizzle the lime juice mixture into egg mixture, whisking constantly. Pour slowly or the eggs will "scramble." Return mixture to saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently. Cook until thick, 8-10 minutes.

Off heat, stir in the vanilla. Place filling in bowl; press plastic wrap on surface to prevent a skin from forming. Chill completely. It must be cold when you assemble the cake.

Beat cream cheese in large bowl on high for 1 minute until very creamy. Add milk and coconut flavor; beating on low to incorporate.

Beat in powdered sugar 2 cups at a time, beating well after each addition. Add final 1/2–1 cup; beat 2 minutes on high. Frosting should be stiff, but spreadable.

Nutrition Information (Per 1/16th):
709 calories 33% calories from fat 26g total fat 114g carb. 302mg sodium

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
© August Home Publishing Company
www.CuisineAtHome.com

PJ
PJ
I think this person is talking about Issue No. 50. The cover was Coconut Cupcakes with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing.

Perhaps the recipes are the same or similar.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Almond Joy Cupcakes/Triple Coconut Cake by pjcooks (Here ya go! [br][br...)
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. The recipe I had requested was actually in the April 2007 issue. I know because I have part of the recipe and that is the date at the bottom. Do you know if its it the same?

Again thanks for taking the time!
  Re: Re: Almond Joy Cupcakes/Triple Coconut Cake by dcrubin (Thank you so much fo...)
Well, blame [Email]C@H[/Email] for putting coconut cakes in April issues, what were they thinking?? Just messin' with my head, I guess I'm heading out the door but I can give you the abbreviated version, if you need the whole thing I can finish it later.

Coat pan with:
1T unsalted butter, softened
3T turbinado sugar

Pulse in food processor:
1C sweetened shredded coconut, toasted

Whisk:
1.5 c cake flour
3/4t baking powder
1/2t table salt
ground coconut
Set flour mix aside.

Cream (5-7 min)
1 stick unsalted butter, softenend (1/2 c)
3/4 c sugar
Add:
1egg

Combine; Alternately mix in:
1/2 c milk
1/2 c cream of coconut
1/4 coconut rum
flour mixture

You've got the instructions for the cupcakes, right?

Help any? See you later!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Almond Joy Cupcakes/Triple Coconut Cake by pjcooks (Well, blame [Email]C...)
Oh I remember these! I was thinking of a totally different April issue. You are right PJ! Coconut cakes in every April issue. Hmmmm... they are messing with our heads.

No wonder I have a head-cold right now
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Almond Joy Cupcakes/Triple Coconut Cake by luvnit (Oh I remember these!...)
Quote:

No wonder I have a head-cold right now

Hope you're feeling better soon!

PJ
PJ