Pizza dough question
  Re: (...)
I taught my 14 yr old granddaughter to make pizza. She decided to make the homemade pizza for her birthday party tonight. Her mother called a little while ago (she knows nothing about working with yeast). She asked if there was anything that she should do with the dough that Katelyn had made last night. It was sitting out and had risen a lot. I told her to look at it and describe it to me. It had deflated and she said it smelled stongly of yeast. She said that she felt it and tasted it and it felt and tasted okay. I told here to gather the dough together into a ball turn it over to oil the top cover it and put it in the fridge but we are both a little concerned that the dough is okay. What are your opinions? I checked the internet and all they did was tell me how to avoid this problem which I already know. What I need to know is how to evaluate the situation and how to fix it if necessary.
Shirley
  Re: Pizza dough question by smschwag (I taught my 14 yr ol...)
All should be okay---I have not heard of a yeast dough creating a health problem. Just take it out of the fridge, let rise again, and then carry on as you would with the recipe----hmmmmm.....pizza!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Pizza dough question by Roxanne 21 (All should be okay--...)
That sounds about right from what I know on yeast and doughs. Heck we leave doughs out over night at work when we make breads...Jean what's your take? Billy got any ideas?

Where's that darn Chefelle when you need her?!?
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Pizza dough question by firechef (That sounds about ri...)
just think of the 18 hour bread!! With roasted garlic, I leave it out overnight and it's delicious.

Shirley, I'm willing to bet this will be the best pizza dough they've ever tasted!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pizza dough question by cjs (just think of the 18...)
I sure hope so, cj. I would hate to see her fail in front of her girlfriends. I have so much fun cooking and baking with my granddaughters. I have 3 granddaughters who are really interested in cooking (girls after my own heart!) One is 15, Katelyn is 14 tomorrow and the other one is 9. My kitchen is too small for us all to work together so I take them one at a time. I think they enjoy it as much as I do, at least they seem to and they are always ready to do it again when I invite them.
Shirley
  Re: Re: Pizza dough question by smschwag (I sure hope so, cj. ...)
Thanks to all of you for your help!
Shirley
  Re: Re: Pizza dough question by smschwag (Thanks to all of you...)
"they are always ready to do it again when I invite them." - that's so cool - wish I was closer to mine. What a good base you're giving them.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pizza dough question by cjs ("they are always rea...)
Shirley, I hope Katelyn's pizza turns out great! I agree with the others that it will be fine. Funny her name is Katelyn...I've got 3 in one class this year and they all spell it different...YIKES!

I think what you're doing for your granddaughters is wonderful! The bonding you are doing in that kitchen will last a lifetime! How great they all love to spend time with you in the kitchen.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pizza dough question by smschwag (I sure hope so, cj. ...)
Someday when I have grandchildren, I hope to be able to what you're doing, Shirley. What a joy. Even if Katelyn's doesn't turn out perfect it'll be better than Domino's delivery! And, her friends will be impressed.
  Re: Re: Pizza dough question by HomeCulinarian (Someday when I have ...)
Shirley, you are building beautiful memories with your girls. I have three grandbabies of my own, and the oldest one is also Katelyn. She just loves to cook and bake with me and is surprisingly careful about it all. Take lots of pictures.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."