Help! I'm very frustrated with the search feature.
  Re: (...)
I don't know if I'm not using it properly or what but whenever I type something into it.....let's just say, it's not helpful.

Anyway, I was searching for the thread that we had about bundt cake recipes. Please tell me I'm not losing my mind....we did have a discussion about bundt cakes, right??? If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be forever grateful!
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]
  Re: Help! I'm very frustrated with the search feature. by mlucas1 (I don't know if I'm ...)
Sorry, Meg, I can't help you with that, I do remember that discussion, but the search feature is less than perfect. I've never had any luck with it, I just keep going back until I find it (rarely) or get frustrated and give up.

Not much help, am I? But maybe someone more computer savvy than I will come along and help.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Help! I'm very frustrated with the search feature. by mlucas1 (I don't know if I'm ...)
Meg - it is very frustrating. I really try and think when I saw something - in the last 6 months - before summer, last year so I can narrow the time frame. Also instead of trying to be more inclusive on your search - get specific. I was trying to do a search on sweet and sour scallops and it will find all references of "sweet", "Sour", and "Scallops" finally just searched on "scallops" and I knew it was in the last year so I did newer than 12 months. Still brought up 212 hits.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Help! I'm very frustrated with the search feature. by pjcooks (Sorry, Meg, I can't ...)
Is this it?
Do you have a favorite bundt recipe?
If not, type bundt in the search box and change dates to 2 years for the search time. There was also a marble something bundt recipe as well as more. It just looked like this was a general discussion on favorite bundt recipes.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Help! I'm very frustrated with the search feature. by Gourmet_Mom (Is this it?[br] [url...)
GM - We are on the same train!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Help! I'm very frustrated with the search feature. by esgunn (Meg - it is very fru...)
Erin, I had the same experience, just couldn't sift throught all those posts. I'm glad it's just not me, doing something wrong!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Help! I'm very frustrated with the search feature. by pjcooks (Erin, I had the same...)
Quote:

GM - We are on the same train!

Yea, I have had much more luck with just one word. Sometimes this is hard, as the main word isn't as obvious. It also helps if you have a username to add. This site operates just like a site I have been a member of...sometimes there's a little luck involved...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Help! I'm very frustrated with the search feature. by Gourmet_Mom ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
I also have been having trouble. My main frustration is that when I do a search and then try to refine it by doing another, I'm told I can't do another search right now, but have to wait a while. What's up with that?
  Re: Re: Help! I'm very frustrated with the search feature. by gharborwa (I also have been hav...)
Quote:

I also have been having trouble. My main frustration is that when I do a search and then try to refine it by doing another, I'm told I can't do another search right now, but have to wait a while. What's up with that?

That is standard with almost ALL forum websites. If that delay were not implemented, then it would be possible for hackers to cause the entire site to come to a standstill by running a program that would automatically run multiple searches in rapid succession. The fact that this type of thing has happened to other forum sites in the past is the reason that forum sites now require a delay before you perform another search.

One recent development that has helped some sites to do away with the delay is to require that EACH search be confirmed with a code of random digits - the type you have probably seen in the registration pages of most forum software. That is an optional feature in some forum software (e.g. PHPbb), but is not available in ALL forum software, yet.

Thus, if you just wait 30-60 seconds before starting another search, you should be fine.

As far as other search problems go, one thing to remember is that this forum software has a default "date range" that says to show search results only for messages newer than one week. Unless you change those values (perhaps erasing the "1" and changing the drop-down box from "Week(s)" to blank), you will NOT find the older message threads you are trying to find.

Finally, if you still have trouble with the site's own search, and happen to be more comfortable using Google, you can try using whatever search terms you like on Google, then add "site:forums.cuisineathome.com" to the Google search.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Help! I'm very frustrated with the search feat by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
If I can't find a post that I'm searching for using the board's search (I always pick 2 years and fewer words to avoid the need to wait), otherwise I use Search This Site from the Google toolbar. It seems to work better for me.