Anasazi beans
  Re: (...)
As mentioned in the Monday night dinner thread - we wanted a simple light dinner last night - vegetarian, simple, and light. Bob and I had made a trip to the health food store (for agave nectar) and came home with that and a bag of Anasazi beans. If you haven't seen these; they are beautiful - look like little red cows with white spots, so pretty!

The original plan was for a "stew" with the beans, poblano chili's, and hominy. I put the beans on to cook, and as they cooked the house was filled with the most wonderful rich bean aroma I've ever smelled. The Blonde Tornado (home with a really bad cold) came out and commented that it was pretty dumb to pay 6.95 for a little (1 lb 11 oz) bag of beans for crying out loud.

By the time Bob got home from work the beans were cooked. We all tried a few straight out of the pot (water and beans only) and could not believe the flavor. Indescribable - the best beans I've ever tasted. We made the decision that it would be best not to mess with them any more than necessary!

[Image: IMG_5875.jpg]
The Fort's Refried Anasazi (Cliff Dweller's) Beans Recipe courtesy David Wooley, Head Chef of The Fort

3 cups dry anasazi beans
1 strip apple smoked bacon, diced 1/4-inch (left this out for Jen)
1/4 cup salsa
1/2 cup 2 percent milk
2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon mild chili powder
1 cup shredded sharp NY state white cheddar
Rinse anasazi beans under cold water. Place in a saucepan and add water to cover. Bring to a boil then turn down heat and simmer until beans are tender, about 30 to 45 minutes. When beans are done drain off remaining liquid and cool slightly. Beans should be soft.
In a large hot saute pan, add the bacon and saute until crisp. Then add the salsa, cooked beans, 1/4 cup of milk, and seasonings and simmer for 5 minutes. In a food processor add the bean mixture and cheese and pulse until smooth. If mixture is too thick, add the rest of the milk. Check seasonings and adjust to taste. Serve immediately.

Corn Timbale
· 4 cups of fresh or frozen corn
· 2 tablespoons of olive oil
· 4 eggs
· 2 cups cream or milk
· 1 roasted, peeled and diced sweet red pepper (we used half red and half roasted, peeled and diced poblano)
· ½ onion finely diced
· 1 teaspoon butter
· ½ cup of shredded asiago or cheddar cheese
· salt and pepper to taste
Beat four eggs with the two cups of cream. Set aside. Sauté the fresh or frozen corn kernels and the diced onion in the olive oil. Butter four ramekins well and pat one-fourth of the diced red pepper into the bottom of each ramekins. Mix the corn and onions with the eggs and cream mixture. Pour one-fourth of the mixture into each of the four ramekins. Sprinkle shredded asiago or cheddar cheese on top. Place the ramekins in a roasting pan that has a shallow amount of water. The water should come up to half the height of the ramekins. Bake for 35 minutes in a 350-degree oven. When the ramekins are done (they can be pieced with a toothpick, which comes out clean), turn them out by dragging a butter knife around the interior edges of the ramekin bowls. The timbale will plop out. Place one timbale in the center of a ladle of pinto beans on a plate.

[Image: IMG_5876.jpg]

Everyone loved it - even the Blonde Tornado (who does NOT eat eggs!) liked it. It would make a great breakfast, light lunch, or in smaller ramekins a nice first course.

I served it with Queso Frito, a wonderful Dominican recipe that we had last week. Mine was a bit salty, should have put limes on the table.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Anasazi beans by Harborwitch (As mentioned in the ...)
doesn't that all sound delicious.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Anasazi beans by cjs (doesn't that all sou...)
Yum...I hate to tell you, I liked the timbale recipe the best! But the beans sounded good too!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Anasazi beans by Gourmet_Mom (Yum...I hate to tell...)
The timbale recipe is fantastic, and you could do lots of different things with it. We thought just "pot beans" would be good under the timbale too.

I do have to say that Anasazi beans are the best beans I've ever eaten.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!