Some Greek stuff for you to try...
  Re: (...)
I mentioned a Greek pasta dish in another posting around here and figured I would share it with you guys and a friend of mine has told me to throw in the salmon dish I like to run as well...here are a couple of easy and good dishes to try...

Greek Pasta (This is pretty much my own creation I made "along side" my Great-Grandmother who is 106 years old and still visits the "family" restaurant north of Athens, Greece daily. This was done totally through the postal system...this was a work of love to come up with to be "American-ized Greek" food...)

3/4 of a pound spaghetti, linguine or fettuccine-uncooked (I use linguine)
1 tsp dried oregano (a dash more doesn't hurt)
1 Tbsp olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1/3 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese (a combination is tasty as well)
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 oz Feta, crumbled
2-6 oz jars marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
12 Greek Kalamata olives (I use the ones in vinegar brine and olive oil from Krinkos, gotta pit them though!)

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and garlic, saute 1 to 2 minutes. Drain artichokes, reserving liquid, chop artichoke hearts and set aside. Add reserved artichoke liquid, olives, oregano and lemon juice to onion/garlic mixture and mix well.
Heat 2 to 3 minutes. Add reserved artichoke hearts, heat through. Combine cooked pasta and artichoke mixture.
Sprinkle cheeses on top as serving.

*Adding a small jar of sun ripened tomatoes drained and chopped makes a nice treat mixed in when adding the artichoke hearts!

Holly, my fiancee, likes this by itself and in the restaurant I do it as an entree either alone or with a boneless skinless chicken breast or a boneless pork chop. At home I do it with lamb...Holly doesn't like lamb so more for me!

Here is a salmon dish that compliments this one by using many similar ingredients...this I learned from Chef Domenico Berardicurti who has a restaurant outside of Omaha, Nebraska...I serve this one on a bed of "bow-tie" pasta!

Salmon with Artichokes

1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tbsp finely chopped onion
1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
2 tsp capers
8 sun-dried tomatoes, not oil packed
16 canned or oil packed artichoke hearts, thinly sliced (I prefer the oil packed marinated variety)
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
1 cup dry white wine
1Tbsp + 1 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
8 large basil leaves, chopped
2 tsp chopped parsley
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
4 7 to 10 ounce Salmon Fillets

PREPARATION

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onions, garlic, capers, sun-dried tomatoes, artichokes and salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and increase heat to high. Add wine and lemon juice and cook 1 minute. Add basil and parsley stirring to incorporate. Add butter and stir until melted and remove from heat.

Grill salmon 3 to 4 minutes on each side over high heat...be sure to grease your grill or pan...

I place each fillet on a bed of "bow-tie" pasta and then top with the artichoke sauce and then I sprinkle with some crumbled feta cheese and parmesan cheese.

Sound yummy to anyone???
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Some Greek stuff for you to try... by firechef (I mentioned a Greek ...)
These sound great to me! Welcome Firechef.

"This is pretty much my own creation I made "along side" my Great-Grandmother who is 106 years old and still visits the "family" restaurant north of Athens, Greece daily." This is really cool. Sounds like a neat lady.
Cory

I am not the model.
  Re: Re: Some Greek stuff for you to try... by Corinne (These sound great to...)
I have never met the woman but have talked through a cousin and exchanged letters with the same cousin translating...kinda neat getting a letter you can't read and one you can read. Who knows...she may have been saying who the heck is this kid in the States? I am told age is starting to cause her problems but that is to be expected when you're older than the radio stations you listen to!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
these sound yummy--will definitely try the pasta--we get Atlantic salmon in Florida and I prefer NW wild salmon--but next time I see NW will try this one too. Thanks for sharing.
Madeline
  Re: Re: Some Greek stuff for you to try... by pink_eagle (these sound yummy--w...)
Have to play with that salmon - sounds very tasty. The salad is very close to what I do, some of my most favorite flavors! thanks for posting.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
If I had everything in the pantry my good intentions would fly out the window - those both sound sooooo good. Note to self:keep marinated artichoke hearts on hand!

Thanks for sharing that! I'd print it right now and let it drag me to the kitchen - but I'm out of paper! I will copy it though!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Great recipe....and great story! I love a good recipe with a story.

Copied and printed.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Some Greek stuff for you to try... by pjcooks (Great recipe....and ...)
Cool LJ! Jean will tell you, I have discovered I DO like olives. I can't eat them plain yet, but I've had them a lot lately with a couple tomato based braised recipes. She's given me a couple to try soon. I'll add the pasta next...artichoke is another new one for me...but I'm getting braver! I LOVE Feta and pasta. Another reason to play with my new toy!

Salmon is a favorite around here. Your recipe has many flavors we like, so it's saved too! Can't wait to try them.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.