Next Dinner For Review - Jan. 28th??
  Re: (...)
With the new issue out, we can go with something there - or out of an old one. Who wants to choose this time. Any January birthdays? Lab's is the 26th, will you be in this time, Lab?

Since we are all recovering from Christmas (at least we are) shall we keep it an inexpensive dinner?

Everyone start thinking!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Next Dinner For Review - Jan. 28th?? by cjs (With the new issue o...)
Quote:

..will you be in this time, Lab?

I'll certainly give it some thought. This may actually be the first time for me to participate in one of these (other than the Mystery Dinner), so please tell me if there are any guidelines for making choices? Current issue preferred? Single dish or separate courses? Anything else to consider?

Thanks.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Next Dinner For Review - Jan. 28th?? by cjs (With the new issue o...)
I would like to participate. Can't stand sitting on the sidelines. If I don't get my subscription before then--I better!--I'll have to ask for copy of the recipe you all select. What fun.
Madeline
  Re: Re: Next Dinner For Review - Jan. 28th?? by pink_eagle (I would like to part...)
The only requirement is we're trying to stick to C@H recipes - any issue. You can suggest the entire dinner and everyone will decide whether to do the whole shebang or parts of it, whatever works for them.

Madeline, there is always someone who needs the recipes posted, so there is no problem with that.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Next Dinner For Review - Jan. 28th?? by cjs (The only requirement...)
Okay. Remember: I don't get the magazine here, but my parents in Florida do. Thus, I will need to get the recipes from someone. Since, as CJ mentioned, "there is always someone who needs the recipes posted," I may as well request for you all to post the recipes.

Since there is already a thread about the Boston cream cupcakes, I'll forgo selecting a dessert, since that would have been my choice, from the current issue, anyhow.

Instead, I'd like to mix and match a little bit.

First, I'd like to see the recipe for the Italian "nachos." It will be interesting to see if they are anything like the ones they used to serve at Romano's Macaroni Grill, which I loved, and for which I do have a recipe.

Although the Brazilian pork cutlets and the Mexican pork shoulder sound great, I'm not really in the mood for black beans right now, and some of the things may be more difficult for me to find (oddly enough, that includes the tomatillos for the salsa verde, since those are more Mexican, and not something one usually finds here).

So, I'll stay in column "B" (i.e. of the table of contents), and go with the Thai chicken skewer wraps.

For a side, I'll jump to the "lite" menu, and try the Buttermilk mashed potatoes and cauliflower. I'm not sure if the Mushroom sherry sauce is supposed to go with that, or just with the meatloaf from the same section, but if it is supposed to go with the potatoes, too, then please include that recipe, as well. This side will also give me the opportunity to use some of the powdered buttermilk my parents just sent me (since buttermilk is not, otherwise, available here).

So, that makes the menu as follows:

Appetiser: Italian "nachos"
Main dish: Thai chicken skewer wraps
Side dish: Buttermilk mashed potatoes and cauliflower
Dessert: Boston cream cupcakes (if you make this, keep those comments in the thread already dedicated to them).

There it is. Please post the recipes when you get a chance, and we can take it from there.

As they say here, "¡Buen provecho!"
  Re: Re: Next Dinner For Review - Jan. 28th?? by labradors (Okay. Remember: I d...)
Labs, I've looked thru all my records and the CAH website--it is not friendly--alternative, or addition to the Italian Nachos (I can't find the recipe)-how about a dip!?
Red Pepper Cheddar Dip (CAH vol 41, pg 36) This is a favorite at Christmas.
3/4 C white cheddar (Cabot?), shredded.
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 C plain yogurt or sour cream
1/4 C mayo
1/4 C bottled roasted red peppers, diced
2 t Tabasco, or Crystal
2 pieces thick sliced diced bacon sauted until crisp and cooled.
3 scallions, sliced
flavored breadsticks

Blend all ingredients except bacon and scallions in processor until smooth.
Fold most bacon and scallions into cheese mixture-garnish with the rest-chill.
Serve with breadsticks, sliced cucumbers, sliced baguettes, pita chips----

Does well at parties!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Next Dinner For Review - Jan. 28th?? by Old Bay (Labs, I've looked th...)
My goodness, this next dinner sounds like so much fun. I have to pass this time, but will be anxious to hear your reviews.

Thanks for the dip recipe also, Bill. That sounds excellent.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Next Dinner For Review - Jan. 28th?? by Mare749 (My goodness, this ne...)
" I have to pass this time," - oh Maryann, that's right!!! When do you leave on your wonderful trip??? (off subject for a moment! )

Lab, I'll type up the recipes... fun, eclectic choices.

P.S. O.K. the recipe are typed in their own little thread so they don't get lost here -
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Next Dinner For Review - Jan. 28th?? by Old Bay (Labs, I've looked th...)
Quote:

Labs, I've looked thru all my records and the CAH website

According to the table of contents for the current issue, as shown on the website, here are the page numbers for the various recipes:

Italian "nachos" - 52
Thai chicken skewer wraps - 42
Buttermilk mashed potatoes and cauliflower - 24
Mushroom sherry sauce (if needed) - 23
Boston cream cupcakes (if you want to include those) - 49

Oops! CJ and I must have been posting at the same time. I see the recipes in the other thread, now. Thanks!

P.S.: For the record, here is the other Italian "nacho" recipe to which I referred earlier. It is definitely quite different!

Macaroni Grill Bella Napoli (Italian "Nachos")

Ingredients:
The "nachos":
  • 1/2 pound pasta sheets, or won-ton wrappers
  • Oil, for deep-frying
Asiago Cream Sauce:
  • 2 cups heavy whipping cream
  • 1/16 teaspoon chicken soup base
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoon Asiago cheese
  • 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 ounce water
Toppings:
  • 2 to 3 cups mozzarella cheese
  • Kalamata olives, sliced
  • Banana peppers, sliced
  • Chopped tomato
  • 1/2 cup Asiago cheese, grated
  • 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
  • 1 piece cooked Italian sausage, crumbled
  • 1 piece cooked, sweet Italian sausage, crumbled
Instructions:
  1. Heat the cream until very hot and just bubbly, but not to a boil.
  2. Add the chicken base and cheese. Stir constantly with a wire whisk and bring temperature back to just bubbly.
  3. Dissolve cornstarch in the cold water and add to the sauce. Bring to a slow simmer to cook out starchy taste. Transfer sauce to a container for use later. (May be refrigerated.)
  4. Cut the pasta sheets into triangles and deep-fry in oil, heated to 375 degrees F. Fry to a nice chip color. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with Asiago cheese.
  5. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and put rack at top of oven.
  6. Put half of the chips onto an oven-safe plate.
  7. Pour cream sauce on the chips then top with the remaining chips.
  8. Sprinkle with sausage, tomatoes, peppers, olives, mozzarella, and Pecorino Romano.
  9. Put it the oven and bake until cheese just starts to brown.
Yield: 4 servings
  Re: Re: Next Dinner For Review - Jan. 28th?? by cjs (" I have to pass thi...)
I agree Jean. This will be fun. I was planning on making the nachos and wrap skewers for the superbowl anyway!

Wonderful choices!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura