What's For Dinner - Monday
  Re: (...)
Everyone will be doing something much more fun than I will be doing for the next two weeks - I'm going to be so good, it'll be boring. A real change in the food regime from the last two months!!

but, I'll live vicariously thru you all - so what's everyone going to be doing?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's For Dinner - Monday by cjs (Everyone will be doi...)
What is your change Jean?

I'm not sure what's for dinner tonight yet. We'll see how the day goes first.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
I'm making a cozy fun dinner that Picky loves. I put the good stuff on my side of the casserole. Btw, I'm having taco soup with polenta for lunch :

Bubble up Pizza

1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
16 oz tomato sauce
1/2 tsp dried basil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp Italian seasoning
your choice of veggie toppings: mushrooms, olives, peppers, etc.
15 oz refrigerated biscuits, quartered
1.25 c mozzarella shreds

Preheat oven to 350*. In skillet, brown meat over medium heat, stirring to crumble. Stir in onion, tomato sauce, basis, garlic, and Italian seasoning.

Add veggies and optional turkey pepperoni. Add quartered biscuit dough; stir gently until biscuits are covered with sauce.

Spray a 9 x 13" casserole dish with cooking spray. Bake for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese, and bake an additional 10 minutes or until biscuits are done. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Serves 8 for normal people but I divide it into 6 servings.
Cory

I am not the model.
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner - Monday by Corinne (I'm making a cozy fu...)
This reminds me of a dish my MIL makes:

Pop Up Pizza Casserole
It's topped with a popover batter and sprinkled with parmesan cheese. It really puffs up!

1 ½ lbs. ground beef
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped green peppers
½ t. oregano
1 clove garlic minced
dash salt
½ cup water
⅛ t. Tabasco
15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 env. spaghetti sauce mix
8 oz. pkg. mozzarella cheese slices

Popover Batter
1 cup milk
1 T. oil
2 eggs
½ t. salt
1 cup flour
½ cup parmesan cheese

Heat oven to 400 degrees. In a large skillet brown beef and drain. Stir in onion, green pepper, garlic, oregano, salt, water, Tabasco, tomato sauce and sauce mix. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

In a small bowl, combing milk, oil and eggs. Beat 1 minute on medium speed. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup. Level off. Add flour and salt. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed or until smooth. Pour hot meat mixture into ungreased 9x13 pan. Top with cheese slices. Pour batter over cheese, covering filling completely. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until puffed and deep golden brown. Serve immediately.

The top puffs up so big it looks like a turkey cooking in your oven! Be sure to put it on a lower middle rack!
Laura
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner - Monday by luvnit (This reminds me of a...)
"What is your change Jean?" In the 60s there was a popular Air Force 'diet' that really gets me kick started into healthier eating. I counted on this one after every baby to get me back in shape, but that was before we really knew much about cholesterol. It's full of eggs, spinach, dry toast, grapefruit, etc. I only stay on it for 2 weeks.

"Pop Up Pizza Casserole" - oh, I used to make this or one very similar years ago, haven't done it for a long time.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Lol, I just copied the recipe. I can't wait to see it come out of the oven but I'll wait until Amelia comes over again. I'll have her pour in the popover mix and tease her as it's rising in the oven.
Cory

I am not the model.
Quote:

This reminds me of a dish my MIL makes:

Pop Up Pizza Casserole
It's topped with a popover batter and sprinkled with parmesan cheese. It really puffs up!

1 ½ lbs. ground beef
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped green peppers
½ t. oregano
1 clove garlic minced
dash salt
½ cup water
⅛ t. Tabasco
15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 env. spaghetti sauce mix
8 oz. pkg. mozzarella cheese slices

Popover Batter
1 cup milk
1 T. oil
2 eggs
½ t. salt
1 cup flour
½ cup parmesan cheese

Heat oven to 400 degrees. In a large skillet brown beef and drain. Stir in onion, green pepper, garlic, oregano, salt, water, Tabasco, tomato sauce and sauce mix. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

In a small bowl, combing milk, oil and eggs. Beat 1 minute on medium speed. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup. Level off. Add flour and salt. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed or until smooth. Pour hot meat mixture into ungreased 9x13 pan. Top with cheese slices. Pour batter over cheese, covering filling completely. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until puffed and deep golden brown. Serve immediately.

The top puffs up so big it looks like a turkey cooking in your oven! Be sure to put it on a lower middle rack!

This sounds like a fun family meal, but what the heck is an "envelope" of spaghetti sauce mix??? I don't believe I've ever seen that!
Lori
http://www.RecipeGirl.com

"Everything tastes better with wine"
I'm looking for a good rainy-day recipe!! It has been raining here all weekend and it's just dreary outside. I'm going to make some homemade bran-raisin muffins today for my little guy, but I'm at a loss for dinner so far.

We're low carbing it Jean... so I feel your pain! I just did a chili, so perhaps a soup for tonight?
Lori
http://www.RecipeGirl.com

"Everything tastes better with wine"
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner - Monday by SDRecipeGirl ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

This sounds like a fun family meal, but what the heck is an "envelope" of spaghetti sauce mix??? I don't believe I've ever seen that!

I had never seen one either! But if you are looking for it, I found it with the Taco Seasoning packets.I think they were made by McCormick or Schilling. They also had other packets and I was also astonshed:

• Meat Loaf
  • Beef Stroganoff
  • Swedish Meatballs
  • Chili

I don't think you really NEED the seasoning mix. It was a little on the salty side for my taste. But using your own spaghetti seasonings in your tomatoes I think would be just fine.
Laura
We have a build up of leftovers... so plans are for smorgass borgass to make some room in the frig!