3 LAYER CAKE RECIPE FROM CUISINE AT HOME
  Re: (...)
I am looking for a 3 layer cake recipe from Cuisine at Home that has a chocolate cake in the middle with vanilla or butter cake on tap and bottom with a vanilla or cream filling in the middle with a chocolate glaze on top. Does anyone have that recipe?
  Re: 3 LAYER CAKE RECIPE FROM CUISINE AT HOME by Angiebj (I am looking for a 3...)
Welcome, Ang! Are you looking for the Boston Creme Pie?

Boston Cream Pie
(Cuisine, February 2001, Issue 25, p. 36-39)

Makes: One 9" Cake Total Time: 2 1/2 Hours + Cooling Rating: Intermediate

For the Vanilla-Rum Filling—
Bring to a Simmer:
2 cups milk
1 T. sugar
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped

Whisk Together:
3/4 cup sugar
3 T. cornstarch
Pinch of salt

Beat, then Add Sugar Mixture:
4 eggs, room temperature

Whisk Hot Milk into Egg Mixture; Return to Pan and Cook until Thick.

Off Heat, Add:
3 T. unsalted butter
1 T. light rum, optional
1 t. vanilla extract

For the Golden Cake—
Sift Together:
1 cup cake flour
1 t. baking powder
Pinch of salt

Beat; Fold in Flour Mixture:
4 eggs, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar

Add and Incorporate:
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 t. vanilla extract

For the Chocolate Cake Layer—
Sift Together:
1/3 cup cake flour
3 T. cocoa powder
1/2 t. baking powder
1/8 t. baking soda
Pinch of salt

Beat; Fold into Flour Mixture:
2 eggs, room temperature
6 T. sugar

Add and Incorporate:
3 T. hot brewed coffee
2 T. vegetable oil
1/2 t. vanilla extract

For the Chocolate Glaze—
Place in a Small Bowl:
4 oz. good-quality semisweet chocolate, finely chopped

Boil and Pour Over Chocolate; Whisk Until Smooth:
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 T. light corn syrup

Related Recipes:

Vanilla-Rum Filling

Golden Cake

Chocolate Cake Layer for Boston Cream Pie

Chocolate Glaze for Boston Cream Pie

Simmer milk, sugar, and vanilla bean for the Vanilla-Rum Filling in a large, heavy saucepan (the sugar helps prevent the milk from scorching); stir to dissolve sugar.

Whisk 3/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a small mixing bowl; set aside.

Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed until light, fluffy, and lemon-colored, about 3 minutes (or whisk about 5 minutes by hand). Then add in the sugar-cornstarch mixture. Remove vanilla pod from milk.

Whisk 1/2 cup hot milk into the egg mixture. Add the egg mixture back to the milk in the saucepan and cook over medium heat until thick, 5–8 minutes. Stir constantly to prevent scorching. Lightly boil the filling 1 minute to eliminate starchy taste from the cornstarch.

Off heat, add butter, rum, and vanilla; transfer to a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing it on the surface to prevent it from forming a skin. Chill until ready to assemble cake. Preheat oven for cakes to 350°. Cut two rounds of parchment to line the bottom of two 9" cake pans. Spray bottom (not sides) with nonstick spray; line each pan with a parchment round.

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt three times for the Golden Cake; set aside.

Beat eggs and sugar in a large bowl, on high speed until light and very fluffy, 8 minutes (room temp. eggs will get fluffier than cold eggs). Gently fold sifted flour mixture into eggs in two additions (be sure everything gets thoroughly mixed in).

Add remaining ingredients and fold to incorporate (be sure they’re also mixed in well). Pour batter into one prepared cake pan. Bake cake 25–30 minutes (15–18 minutes for chocolate layer). It’s done when a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, and cake springs back when lightly touched. It’ll pull away from the sides of the pan as it cools. Transfer cake to a rack and cool 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge to loosen, then invert cake onto a plate. Remove parchment and invert again onto the rack so it’s right side up.

Repeat above steps for chocolate layer. Carefully slice the layers as shown below. Place the bottom half of the golden cake, cut side up, on a cake stand or platter. Top with half the cold filling (about 1 1/4 cups) and spread it evenly to the edges of the cake. Carefully place the chocolate layer on top; spread with remaining filling. Top with second golden layer, cut side down; press slightly to stabilize layers. Chill 15–20 minutes; prepare the glaze.

Place finely chopped chocolate in a small bowl.

Boil cream and corn syrup, pour over chocolate, and whisk until smooth. Pour glaze on cake, smoothing it with a spatula.

Nutrition Information (Per 1/8 cake):
670 calories 43% calories from fat 32g total fat 83g carb. 240mg sodium

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
© August Home Publishing Company
www.CuisineAtHome.com
PJ
  Re: Re: 3 LAYER CAKE RECIPE FROM CUISINE AT HOME by pjcooks (Welcome, Ang! Are y...)
This recipe is FABULOUS! I hope you enjoy it!
  Re: Re: 3 LAYER CAKE RECIPE FROM CUISINE AT HOME by idahocook (This recipe is FABUL...)
Funny you should say that. I'm a huge Boston Cream Pie fan and I found this recipe to be very disappointing.
Shannon
  Re: Re: 3 LAYER CAKE RECIPE FROM CUISINE AT HOME by Dismc (Funny you should say...)
Can you tell us why Dismc? It just sounds so good!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: 3 LAYER CAKE RECIPE FROM CUISINE AT HOME by Mare749 (Can you tell us why ...)
WELCOME Angiebj----hope you will join in on the discussion often. We love new brains to pick!!!

I haven't made that recipe...hmmm..off for a relook! Thanks for the mention.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: 3 LAYER CAKE RECIPE FROM CUISINE AT HOME by Mare749 (Can you tell us why ...)
I'm trying to remember. I do recall that it was very dry. My husband is a Boston Cream Pie fanatic and even he said it certainly wasn't the best I'd made. I guess, just an overall dissatisfaction with the flavor and texture.
Shannon