Cake made with Whole Lemons
  Re: (...)
I am going to make Billy's White Pepper & Ginger Lemon Cake [Thank you Billy ] and I was telling my dad about it. He loves pepper.

Then he told me about another lemon cake that uses whole lemons! I have scoured the internet and found only one recipe. Have any of you heard of this? [I am sure you have.]

This is the recipe I found, but it has no name or title. Can anyone tell me the name or give me their recipe for this cake?

as a matter of fact, I just made it today
it's adapted from a recipe in sunset magazine

The Recipe

boil for 30 minutes: 3 large lemons ( I use Meyer lemons )

350 degrees preheat oven

prep springform pan with canola spray and parchment on bottom

mix: 3/4 cup oatbran ( trader Joe or such )
3/4 c almond flour
1/2 c whole wheat flour
1/2 teasp. salt
1 1/2 Tsp baking powder

drain and cut lemons in quarters and remove seeds
throw in blender with 1 c egg substitute, and 1 egg yolk ( keep white )
add 1 1/2 c splenda, 1 teasp. almond flavor
mix until smooth

whip 5 eggwhites with 1/2 c splenda to stiff peaks

mix lemon mixture into dry ingredients, fold in egg whites.

pour into springform pan.

bake for 1 hour.
turn off heat, put cooking spoon into door to crank it open a bit for another 15 minutes. let cool.
you can cut slices and freeze them separately, freezes very well!

And one more question... What is so great about this whole-lemon cake? Is it moist, flavorful? Does it have a claim to fame?
  Re: Cake made with Whole Lemons by luvnit (I am going to make B...)
I don't know anything about this cake but I do a cake that has one layer made from clementines and a top layer that is chocolate.

I boil the clementines in a pot of water for two hours to soften them and then cut them and discard seeds and puree the life out of them in the blender with sugar and almonds.

The whole lemons--will impart alot more flavour than just the juice but won't really contribute to the moistness of the cake. Citrus cakes are pretty moist regardless.

The recipe that you listed's claim to fame is it is a low fat recipe. No fat, no sugar. And of course it will have a lovely pronounced lemon flavour from the whole lemons.

I used to work as a corporate trainer for WW. I tried a WW recipe for a chocolate cake that used Oat Bran. HATED the texture. I found it dense and grainy. To each his own though.

My recipe's claim to fame is it is gluten free.

Anyway--hope this helps.

Happy Baking!
  Re: Cake made with Whole Lemons by luvnit (I am going to make B...)
Try going back to this pie recipe, as well. In fact, I plan on making that either tomorrow or Tuesday.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cake made with Whole Lemons by labradors (Try going back to [u...)
Laura (and others), you must make Billy's lemon/pepper cake!

This is one of the nicest cakes I have made and on my "favorites" list.......you will not be disappointed....hmmmm () haven't done that in a wile either....
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Cake made with Whole Lemons by Roxanne 21 (Laura (and others), ...)
I have all the ingredients to make Billy's White Pepper and Ginger Lemon Cake right now. I was going to make it yesterday, but my son had an asthmatic allergic reaction to a relative's dog Time slipped away from me. Perhaps today I can make it. I can't wait to try it!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura