Fried Cornbread for Breakfast!
  Re: (...)
If any of you are hooked on Cornbread like we are hooked on cornbread you end up with leftover cornbread. This is mainly caused in our household by the requirement to produce large volumes so no one goes without the amount they would like with their Chili dinner, or chicken dinner, etc., etc. Since one time the children will eat three pieces the next time one, it is a shot in the dark at best. So we always error on the side of "you can never have enough!"

This does create a problem, leftover cornbread, well, sucks! And so you can not get anyone to eat it the next day. Once hooked on fresh from the oven cornbread who can really blame the family? So I have a way of using it up the next day I thought I would share with all of you. Fried
breakfast Cornbread. Matters not whether you have my outstanding cornbread recipe or another "Inferior" cornbread recipe, fresh
cornbread is all very good! (mines just a wee bit better ) So lets get on with what to do with that leftover cornbread.
First slice the cornbread in half, so each piece has a baked side showing and on the opposite side is the open middle of the cornbread. And get it plated and arranged so the baked sides are all up. This would be the bottom on top crust.

[Image: oldcornbrd.jpg]

Next get the steel fry pan out, or the black iron fry pan if you have one. Bring it up to temp on medium heat. Drop your favorite fat into it and get it hot enough to fry. You'll know my preference for stainless steel by now, so I go with steel. But do understand the want to go with black iron. Properly seasoned it is one tough non-stick surface.

[Image: frypan.jpg]

Once the fat is up to heat stick the cut cornbread in crust side down for the first side frying. (If you go crust side up, the bread will absorb all the fat in a minute and burn the crap out of your creation.) And place your fruit of
choice around them after the cornbread is down. For me that means blueberries, not only are the great for you (and really great for the ladies) but they freeze so well that there is no excuse for not having them in the freezer. (freeze them on a cookie sheet individually then pack them so you can just get a handle full as required.)

[Image: blueberries.jpg]

[Image: frying.jpg]

These have already fried on the crust side, they have been flipped and placed on top of the frying blueberries. This helps the blueberry penetrate the cornbread inside while it is frying.

While that is taking place, take another handle full of blueberries and place them in a purex custard cup and just cover with some maple syrup, or honey, or sweet
of your taste! Then pop it in the microwave for 45 second to warm it all up.

[Image: syrupblbry.jpg]

Once this is done and the cornbread is fried to a warm temp, you can plate the cornbread and then pour your blueberry infused syrup over the top. Plate onto decent weight plates that have been warmed up in the microwave (40
seconds per plate stacked) to keep the goodness warm to the table! Then grab a fork on dig in! Warning, feeding this with fresh pork breakfast sausage can create a pants problem. Mainly you will eat enough that your pants won't fit.

[Image: finsihed.jpg]

'til we talk again, when its cold out in the morning, take some time and put this together, it is a real comfort food!
Chef Bob Ballantyne
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering
Grand Junction, Colorado, USA

Special thanks to Chef dnelson for posting pictures that inspire me to try to improve my photos!
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Fried Cornbread for Breakfast! by bbally (If any of you are ho...)
My mom use to split the leftovers, butter them and put them n the oven to "toast" a bit and get warm and bubbly. She'd serve them with hot syrup of our choice. She did the same thing with leftover biscuits.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Fried Cornbread for Breakfast! by Harborwitch (My mom use to split ...)
I just heat it up, melt some butter on it, then toss a fried egg on top.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Fried Cornbread for Breakfast! by labradors (I just heat it up, m...)
Both methods sounds great!

Wonder if they could be buttered, then broiled to crisp the them a little? I will have to try that.
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Fried Cornbread for Breakfast! by bbally (If any of you are ho...)
bbally, I just wanted to thank you for this...made this for breakfast this morning and it was quite good. Thank you!
Tammy
  Re: Re: Fried Cornbread for Breakfast! by TwilightKitten (bbally, I just wante...)
You are Welcome, try different berry fruits with it.
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985