Fried Pompadoms
  Re: (...)
Can anyone tell me how to make these little goodies?? am I spelling it correctly? thanks for any info.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Fried Pompadoms by cjs (Can anyone tell me h...)
Hmmmm I can't even find a photo of these. Can you tell us what they are and where they are from?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
Papadums. You are talking about thin crispy Indian "crackers"?

The best way to make them is to go to Cost Plus or Trader Joes and buy a box of the uncooked wafers - then follow the instructions on the box to fry them - they are fantastic!

I'm not being a smart-a$$ there, but they are made from lentil flour through a whole process and are rolled very very thin. I'll look through some of my Indian books and see if I can find an actual recipe for you.

I love these things by the way.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Fried Pompadoms by Harborwitch (Papadums. You are t...)
This is a recipe I found for them - If you google "Poppadom" instead of "Pompadoms" you find a few more hits on it - altough I found it spelled many ways. Never had them - and most people said they were hard to make and just go to a store and buy them. Also most references on the internet were from Down under (I don't know if it was NZ or Aussi) or England.

Indian Papadams
Servings [Reset] Keys : Crackers Indian India Asian
Ingredients :

2 cup Garbanzo bean (chick-pea)
Flour
1 tsp Cracked or coarsely ground
Black pepper
1 tsp Ground cumin seed
1/2 tsp Salt
1 cl Garlic, pressed
1/4 cup Plus about 1 Tablespoon
Water
Cayenne for dusting tops
Oil for frying (optional)

Method :
"Papadams are delicious, spicy Indian crackers that traditionally require many ingredients and take days to make. They are prepared ahead in quantity and deep fried just before serving. This is a simplified version. It still requires time, but the results are worth it. It is not the easiest of recipes, so if you don't have a perfect result the first time, try again.
You will be glad you did.
Stir together the flour, pepper, ground cumin seed, and salt in a large bowl or in the food processor. Mix thoroughly until the spices are evenly distributed. Add the garlic and mix well. Add enough of the water to form a dough that will hold together in a cohesive ball. If necessary, add up to 1 additional Tablespoon water. The dough should be fairly stiff and dry. If it is too wet, it will not roll well.
Knead the dough for about 5 minutes by hand or pulse for about 15 seconds in the food processor. The dough should be smooth.
With your hands, shape the dough into a cylinder or log about 2 inches thick and 6 inches long. With a sharp knife, cut the cylinder into 1/2-inch thick slices.
The next step uses oil, so do not use your pastry cloth and rolling pin sleeve. Place each slice on a lightly oiled surface. Lightly oil the top of the slice and then roll out into a very thin circle about 6 or 7 inches in diameter. Papadams must be rolled extremely thin, maximum 1/16 inch. If the dough sticks to your rolling pin, gently pull it off. Dust the tops of each papadam with cayenne pepper.
Using a metal spatula to loosen the edges of the papadams from the rolling surface, carefully place them on large baking sheets. The traditional method for preparing and frying papadams is described below. You can also bake them in a 300 F. oven for about 15 to 25 minutes, or until crisp and dry. The cooking time may vary beyond this range depending upon the thickness and moisture in the rolled dough. Cool them on a rack.
To prepare the papadams in an authentic manner, don't bake them. First allow them to dry by leaving them in the sun for a few hours or by placing them in a very low oven (less than 200 F.) for 1 to 2 hours, turning occasionally. Dry the papadams until they are just slightly flexible and show no moisture. They should not brown or bake, however. At this point, the papadams may be stacked flat and stored in an airtight container until needed. They will keep for months if stored properly.
When ready to serve, heat about 1/8 inch of oil in a large skillet. The oil should be hot, but not smoking. A drop of water flicked into the skillet should sizzle immediately. One at a time, drop the papadams into the hot oil. Turn the papadam when it begins to curl at the edges. It will quickly fry and become crisp. Remove it before it turns brown.
Cool and drain the papadams on paper towels. Eat them immediately.
Yield:12.
1 year ago
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
Here is some more interesting info:
http://www.fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/sea...q=poppadom

Poppadoms are round wafer thin discs made of various lentil or cereal flours. The word poppadom is a legacy of the British Raj in India and a time when the British would move to the cool hill stations to escape the heat of the cities. In the evenings they would meet on well kept lawns and white terraces to sip gimlets and nibble on poppadoms. Poppadoms are served roasted or fried as accompaniments to pre dinner drinks or the main course. Eating papads or pappadam as they are called in south India with pickle or sweet chutney as a starter seems to be a trend started by indian restaurants outside India.
In India poppadoms are often made at home though in the cities the trend of buying ready made ones is increasing. They are available plain or flavoured with herbs garlic peppercorns or chillies. The crisp crunchiness provides a change of texture in a meal. Various titbits which are fried can also be classified as papads as they serve the same purpose. Different flours are made into an incredible number of decorative shapes. Sometimes they are pressed into balls which are deep fried before eating.
Safo seeds are coloured green and pink and rolled into rounds strips or triangles. Lotus root from the lotus flowers which grow in ponds all over India is dried for storage and then fried before use. This unusual crunchie is woody crisp and has five hollow chambers that give it the appearance of cut okra. When you bite into this bhain the woodiness seems to crumble leavng a beautiful crispness on the palate.
The making of poppadoms at home is an art and requires skill as well as plenty of sunshine. The variously flavoured doughs are soft when fresh but dry to a brittle hardness. They are laid out to dry on a clean cloth in strong summer sun and then packed in plastic bags for storage.
Poppadoms need careful storage. As they are extremely brittle they are best stored in a flat container and should be eaten within 3 months of purchase.
Poppadoms can be cooked in advance as they taste good warm or cold. However dont make them more than an hour before the meal because they will wilt and go leathery.
how to cook frying
Fried poppadorns are definitely tastier but not for the calorie conscious. Heat oil in a large wok or kadai. When nearly smoking reduce the heat and drop in the poppadom. It will instantly change colour. The whole process takes seconds so have your slotted spoon and absorbent paper lined plate ready. Do not allow the poppadom to tum brown or black. Drain the poppadom well and remove to a plate.
how to cook roasting
The poppadom is held between tongs and roasted over an open flame. Quick and frequent turning is required to prevent burning. As soon as the papad has changed colour curled up and become crisp it is done.
how to cook grilling
Place under a medium grill until bubbles appear on the surface and the colour turns from translucent to opaque. Turn over and repeat the process. Place at least 4cm away from the grill to prevent burning.
It is also possible to cook poppadoms in the microwave oven. It should take about a minute but this may vary slightly depending on your oven.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Fried Pompadoms by esgunn (This is a recipe I f...)
Very interesting to read about!

And now I have my picture

[Image: 23268097.jpg]
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Fried Pompadoms by luvnit (Very interesting to ...)
Thanks Erin (and all) "Poppadom" - that's why I couldn't find much on them. I was going phonetically - a chef in Victoria was tellling me about them. He deep fries them and serves as an appy. Sysco carries a poppadom product (which is what the chef uses) - I still have an account, but don't know anyone sales folks up here. have to play with this.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fried Pompadoms by cjs (Thanks Erin (and all...)
The ones from Trader Joes and Cost Plus are really good, and I think come in a few different flavors.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Fried Pompadoms by Harborwitch (The ones from Trader...)
AH HA!!!!! Now that is one product we have tons of here!!! Just buy the packaged product, heat the oil (shallow amount) to about 350 degrees, pop that little baby in and it is done in about 2 seconds!!! NOT an exaggeration....they look like circular spring roll
wrappers before they are crisped....yummy for an appy with a bean dip or just to munch on.

If you want a low fat version....just pop in the microwave on high for a few seconds...depends on your nuker....works well too...
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Fried Pompadoms by Roxanne 21 (AH HA!!!!! Now tha...)
Quote:

AH HA!!!!! Now that is one product we have tons of here!!! Just buy the packaged product, heat the oil (shallow amount) to about 350 degrees, pop that little baby in and it is done in about 2 seconds!!! NOT an exaggeration....they look like circular spring roll
wrappers before they are crisped....yummy for an appy with a bean dip or just to munch on.

Oh I love them and this is exactly how they are cooked in my house. I've never ever thought about doing them in the microwave. I will have to buy some just to try it.
Cory

I am not the model.