Portobello Pizza
  Re: (...)
Yes --tried this yesterday--leave off the pepperoni and it's vegetarian

3 T extra virgin olive oil (plus spray for greasing pan and grill)
4 med portobello mushrooms
salt to taste
black pepper to taste
1 C marinara sauce-store bought or homemade
1 med chopped yellow onion
1 med chopped green bell pepper
1 t cracked red pepper
8 oz thin sliced pepperoni
1/2 C shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 C grated Parmesan
2 T butter, cut thin

Place a grill pan over med- high heat, or preheat grill.
Preheat oven to 400 F.

Drizzle 3 T olive oil over both sides of the mushrooms-sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spray grill-- grill mushrooms until heated thru about 5 min/side. Meanwhile saute onions, peppers, and cracked pepper in olive oil until crisp tender.

Spread 1/2 C marinara on the bottom of a 9/13 baking dish. Place grilled mushrooms on top of sauce,slice to fit dish, top with remaining sauce. Top with onion'pepper mixture, then the pepperoini--sprinkle with cheeses and top with butter--Bake until cheese melts and top is golden, about 15 min. Serve alone or with pasta or a salad.

Giada would not recognize this variation, but she would love it!! Serve with a nice Chianti.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Portobello Pizza by Old Bay (Yes --tried this yes...)
Quote:

... a nice Chianti.

Whenever I hear this, I have to double check to make sure liver and fava beans are not also involved. LOL!

Seriously: my mom makes these quite a bit, and I used to, until I moved to a place where I can rarely get whole portobellos. They are delicious!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Portobello Pizza by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Duly copied and I think that's what I'm fixing tonight!! Sounds delicous. We're off to Port Townsend today, so this will be great for a throw together dinner! Thanks Bill!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
..."a nice chianti"---great line--I've never had a fava bean--they are hard to find. What is different about them? If they only go with liver I will never expierience their flavor.
  Re: Re: Portobello Pizza by Old Bay (..."a nice chianti"-...)
Quote:

..."a nice chianti"---great line--I've never had a fava bean--they are hard to find. What is different about them? If they only go with liver I will never expierience their flavor.

Errr... are you aware of the source of the line referring to liver, fava beans, and chianti? It was not a culinary reference, but cinematic.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Bill, made this last night after a cold, cold day walking around Port Townsend with a little grazing thrown in. Great idea, fast to put together and not the least bit heavy and finished with those miniature lemon curd & cream goodies...wanna see the picture again???

[Image: llemon.jpg]

didn't get a picture of the 'pizza' tho, darn.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Portobello Pizza by cjs (Bill, made this last...)
I bought some dried mini fava beans for the first time last month. They are really good and I've been eating them in soup and sprinkling them on salads.

I've never had a fresh one.
Cory

I am not the model.
  Re: Re: Portobello Pizza by Corinne (I bought some dried ...)
love favas!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Portobello Pizza by cjs (love favas!!...)
Sounds lovely Old Bay. Copied, thank you. My absolute favourite pizza is mushrooms and olives.
Oh yes--Hannible Lector. I've still never had a fava bean and would not eat it with liver anyway.