Shnitzel - Dale question
  Re: (...)
Dale, I think I remember you posting some time back that you used to freeze schnitzel or breaded cutlets, and then just took out servings as needed. Did you freeze them cooked or uncooked? Was it pork or veal?

What preparation or method did you use?
Thanks for any tips!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Shnitzel - Dale question by esgunn (Dale, I think I reme...)
Mmmmmmm... Oddly enough, there are a few Germans/Swiss who live here.

One Swiss guy has a little shop where he sells bratwurst, knackwurst, rotkohl, etc.

A German couple has a hotel, in which they have a restaurant where they serve wonderful Jägerschnitzel.

Yum!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Shnitzel - Dale question by labradors (Mmmmmmm... Oddly eno...)
Lab - Have you tried the C@H schnitzel recipe? It is very good. Made with pork with a lemon butter sauce. Yummy.

I am just experimenting with having more prepared items in my freezer - to ease the dinner time crunch. My husband who travels to Germany frequently has said the C&H schnitzel is much better than any he has eaten over there! Does that mean it is not true schnitzel? Who cares. We love it.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Shnitzel - Dale question by esgunn (Lab - Have you tried...)
Quote:

Lab - Have you tried the C@H schnitzel recipe? It is very good. Made with pork with a lemon butter sauce. Yummy.

No, but it sounds good. Appears to be Wiener Schnitzel, which doesn't HAVE to be veal, but is often pork for those who cannot afford or cannot find veal.

Quote:

Does that mean it is not true schnitzel?

Translation: "Does that mean it is not true cutlet?"
Well, depending upon what else they do to it, maybe it veers away from the authentic recipe, but it will still be a cutlet (schnitzel) cooked in a generally Austrian/German manner, and you love it. What else matters, unless you are specifically seeking authenticity?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Shnitzel - Dale question by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Erin, 'schnitzel' is a cut of meat dipped in egg, breaded and fried.

Wiener Schnitzel is a veal cutlet prepared in this manner.

hmmm, I would be very leery of freezing it, but maybe someone will prove me wrong.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Shnitzel - Dale question by cjs (Erin, 'schnitzel' is...)
I love shnitzel and don't fix it as often as I should.

I might slice, pound, and freeze between sheets of waxed paper so that I could take out as many as I want and just have to bread them. Or par cook them and then freeze them on a cookie sheet and then seal in a bag for the freezer. But not raw.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Shnitzel - Dale question by Harborwitch (I love shnitzel and ...)
Erin, I use any meat, veal, pork, even beef if it is nice enough. It works very well. I have never don't cutlets though. If I am doing schnitzathons I normally do a minimum of 5kgs. a time. Thats about 12 lbs.
  Re: Re: Shnitzel - Dale question by Harborwitch (I love shnitzel and ...)
Sharon,
just curious, why wouldn't you freeze the pounded out cutlets raw? I freeze raw meat all the time and have not run into any problems that I am aware of.....
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]