Trader Joe's
  Re: (...)
I heard someone mention Trader Joe's on another thread. We just got one a couple of months ago and I have been meaning to go there. Trouble is, I have to make a special trip to get there. It's kinda out of the way for me.

Is it worth going? Do you save money, is that their premise for the store? What do you buy there?

I have heard about the wine. The $2 buck Chuck or $3 buck Chuck or whatever. I don't think they sell the wine here. You can't sell liquor in a grocery store in Minnesota.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Trader Joe's by luvnit (I heard someone ment...)
We don't have one here, either. There's one in the city (Boston, that is) but who wants the one hour ride, never mind the traffic Someone told me the 2 buck chuck is 5 in Boston, then again, everything is more expensive in Boston.

Think I'll take a look to see if one has opened up any closer, I've heard lots of good things, too, and would really like to visit one.

PJ
PJ
I think it's worth a trip over there to see what you think for yourself. When we go to Chicago, we try to arrange extra time to stop by the Trader Joe's in the burbs. They have a lot of interesting things we can't get here. My son's ex-girlfriend worked at a store downtown Chicago and from what she says, it's a great company to work for.
Their claim to fame is "organic". Lots and lots of specialty items; cheeses, King Arthur Flours, lots of coffees & teas, nuts, cereals, and breads. Some have fresh meat and produce, frozen foods, and sweets. Ecologically friendly soaps & detergents, cosmetics etc., vitamins, fresh flowers and potted plants, and lots of wonderful seasonal goodies.

We love Trader Joe's - their Silver Goat chevre is wonderful and inexpensive. I am a little upset that they have stopped carrying a few things that we used to love; doggie vitamins, and truffle oil to name two.

We used to have to make a special trip to go. We'd combine it with a few other stores in the vicinity to make it worth while. Now it's right in the same shopping center as a big Safeway and Beverages & More so it's not such a big deal to get there.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Trader Joe's by pjcooks (We don't have one he...)
We have one sort of near us. I like it, but I don't go very often and usually just for unusual stuff. I love getting the Fearless Flyer (Their monthly mailing) in the mail and reading about all the new and unusual stuff. I think the only thing I get routinely there is White Balsamic vinegar. I will shop there for dried fruits and nuts, sometimes for cheese - they have a huge selection of cheese. Healthier snacky type things -wasabi peas and such. Big tubs of fresh basil. Dried Pasta - they don't have a huge selection, but they have a good fusili and a good paparadell. I've bought wild rice there. Their coffee isn't bad.

It is just a unique grocery store and they care just a few of some things - sometimes with a healthy or environmental twist (but not always). They do carry King Arthur brand flour. Lots of different kinds of beer and wine. If it was more convenient I might go more often - but I don't even go to a regular grocery store very much. We tend to stock up at the commissary and just get a few other things as needed.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Trader Joe's by esgunn (We have one sort of ...)
To me it's only worth the trip if it's a big one. We have a smaller one here and I never go there anymore.
  Re: Re: Trader Joe's by esgunn (We have one sort of ...)
Thanks, Sharon and Erin, it really sounds like a store we have here called On The Vine, all the above mentioned things except the 2 buck chuck! Will probably see one close by soon, everything's heading north!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Trader Joe's by pjcooks (Thanks, Sharon and E...)
PJ - the one thing I didn't mention - is on the things you do find there - the price is usually a really good one. Pretty good deals.
Erin
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Trader Joe's by esgunn (PJ - the one thing I...)
Is it like Sam's Club, I mean do you have to be a member?
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Trader Joe's by farnfam (Is it like Sam's Clu...)
No you do not have to be a member - and it is a pretty small store. Not as big as a grocery store. And you get just a real mix of things available and it depends on season too. It is always an adventure.

Check out this link:
http://www.traderjoes.com/product_categories.html
Erin
The time is flying by.