Beef Bourguignonne
  Re: (...)
Okay all, I have a request. I want to perfect a recipe for Beef Bourguignonne. I noticed that C@H had a recipe for this in the 2003 #37 edition (“Fresh Fish” cover). Since I am new here, does anyone have this recipe? I believe Julia Child is probably the American authority on this dish in “The Way To Cook” (which I have) and Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) did an adaptation which I think is on the internet. My second question is—does anyone have their own favorite version of this classic they would be willing to share?
Madeline
  Re: Beef Bourguignonne by pink_eagle (Okay all, I have a r...)
Believe it or not, I learned how to make this dish in home ec class as a ninth-grader (troisieme) in southern France about 35 years ago. I haven't made it often since, but let me dig up my recipe and send it to you. I did translate it about 30 years ago.
  Re: Re: Beef Bourguignonne by carolekv (Believe it or not, I...)
I think I made that Cuisine recipe, but wasn't there a quick Bourguignonne in a later issue or in one of the special cookbooks? I recall that we liked the regular recipe and thought the quick one was just "okay".
  Re: Re: Beef Bourguignonne by HomeCulinarian (I think I made that ...)
C@H just had a Beef Bourg??? recipe very recently. It was one I didn't get to try. It was in a regular issue. It was for 2 people. I liked that. You didn't have to eat it for a week!

I'll try to find it if you're interested.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Beef Bourguignonne by pink_eagle (Okay all, I have a r...)
This? maybe...

Beef Bourguignonne
(Cuisine at home, February 2003, Issue 37, p. 23)

Makes: 6 Cups Total Time: 2 1/2 Hours + Marinating Rating: Intermediate

Trim and Cube:
2 lb. chuck pot roast

Combine; Marinate Beef in:
1 bottle (750 ml) red wine
1 yellow onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 rib celery, diced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 bay leaves

Remove Beef; Dredge in:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 t. kosher salt
1/2 t. black pepper
1/4 t. cayenne

Saute:
4 strips thick-sliced bacon, diced

Brown Beef in Bacon Fat; Add:
2 –4 T. olive oil

Sweat:
Reserved vegetables from marinade
1 beef knuckle soup bone
1 T. tomato paste

Add:
1/4 cup brandy, optional

Tie Together:
6 sprigs fresh thyme
1 t. whole black peppercorns

Add and Braise:
Herb bundle
Reserved marinade, bacon, and browned beef

Stir in; Cook:
8 oz. white mushrooms, halved
8 oz. pearl onions, peeled
1 T. red wine vinegar

Finish with:
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 T. lemon zest, minced
Salt and pepper to taste

Serve Over:
Buttered potatoes

Trim roast and cut into 2" cubes.

Combine wine, vegetables, garlic, and bay leaves, in a bowl. Place meat in marinade. Marinate for at least 4 hours.

Remove meat and vegetables from marinade, reserving everything. Dredge beef in flour mixture.

Saute bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towel-lined plate.

Brown beef in batches in bacon fat left in pan — do not crowd the pan or meat won't brown well. Remove browned beef before adding more. If the pan becomes dry, add a little olive oil. Remove last batch of meat before continuing. Preheat oven to 350°.

Sweat vegetables, soup bone, and tomato paste in pan, stirring to loosen the browned bits from the bottom. Cook until vegetables soften, 5 minutes.

Add brandy; cook until evaporated.

Tie thyme and peppercorns in a paper coffee filter; secure with kitchen string.

Add herb bundle, reserved marinade, bacon, and beef. Cover with a secure lid, transfer to oven, and braise 1 hour.

Stir in mushrooms, onions, and vinegar. Return to oven and cook, covered, until meat is tender, 30 - 40 minutes. Remove herb bundle and soup bone.

Finish with parsley, lemon zest, salt, and pepper to taste.

Serve over buttered potatoes.

Nutrition Information (Per 2 1/2 cups):
829 calories 46% calories from fat 42g total fat 49g carb. 1020mg sodium 5g fiber

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
© August Home Publishing Company
www.CuisineAtHome.com

I didn't see the lite version but I didn't look that hard, either

Hope this helps!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Beef Bourguignonne by pjcooks (This? maybe...[br][...)
PJ - I think the other version which I think might be a quicker version - not necessarily "light" was in a more recent issue and those are not in the members plus.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Beef Bourguignonne by pjcooks (This? maybe...[br][...)
this looks interesting--definitely a different approach to the "classic" version but that's what I'm looking for--to develop my own "classic"--thanks so much for taking the time to input.
Madeline
  Re: Re: Beef Bourguignonne by esgunn (PJ - I think the oth...)
could someone explain what "members plus" is--since I'm new I don't understand the term--have seen it in past posts also.
Madeline
  Re: Re: Beef Bourguignonne by carolekv (Believe it or not, I...)
Oh gosh--a real live french version--please--when you get a chance please pass it along. Imagine you were in early teens and I'm 61 just asking about this classic. Thanks so much.
Madeline
  Re: Re: Beef Bourguignonne by luvnit ([url=mailto:C@H]C@H[...)
Thanks. I'm really looking for a recipe that is suitable for a 8-10 people dinner party or a "pot luck" dish so the recipe for 2 won't work. Keep those ideas coming though.
Madeline