OMG I'm going to cross the Mississippi River!
  Re: (...)
For the first time in my life!!!

Bob's brother (in his 40's) is getting married for the first time next month. We'll be leaving for Ashtabula Ohio on 2/21 and coming home on the 27th. As our gift to them we're going to help with the food for the reception - all appetizers.

Bob and I haven't seen his brother in years, since we kicked his backside out! He's now gotten his act together, has a good job, and is marrying a wonderful girl. Bob's daughter, Dawn, is going to fly up from Florida too! It will be her first time to meet any of her Dad's family - and my first time to meet his brother in law and his other sister. Fun!

Now I've got to figure out what kind of appy's to make, I'm not sure what we'll be looking at as far as availability there. Can I pack my knives in checked luggage? Any cheese or special ingredients??????

My sister in law want to put a blurb in the local paper to the effect that their sister in law, a "Private Chef" will be flying in from CA to prepare the appetizers for the reception.

Oh geeze! Billy, they're telling me I can't wear my flip-flops back there! Something about ice and snow????? Oh, heck I'll just have a couple hot flashes (after some red wine) and thaw the state of Ohio, take that global warming!!! I'm giddy!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: OMG I'm going to cross the Mississippi River! by Harborwitch (For the first time i...)
Oh how exciting for you Sharon! You will have to take pics and tell us all about it. Oh my! Only a few weeks to plan!

You will do great, I am sure of that. Do you have any ideas of what you will make yet? How many people will they have there?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: OMG I'm going to cross the Mississippi River! by luvnit (Oh how exciting for ...)
Deep river, my home is over Jordan,
Deep river, Lord, I want to cross over into campground.
Deep river, my home is over Jordan
Deep river, Lord, I want to cross over into campground.

Oh don't you want to go to that gospel feast,
That promis'd land where all is peace?
Oh deep river, Lord, I want to cross over into campground.

--- Oops! Different river. Well, enjoy your trip. My only trip out west was to Portland, Oregon, over 20 years ago - nice city, but a lot of rain.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: OMG I'm going to cross the Mississippi River! by labradors (Deep river, my home ...)
Good Luck Sharon! I know you'll do great. I hope your experience on my side of the river is a good one!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: OMG I'm going to cross the Mississippi River! by labradors (Deep river, my home ...)
That's exciting to come east! Sounds like you'll see the river from 10,000 feet.

Your wedding gift is very generous and you'll have a great time. I do believe flip-flops have not been outlawed in the state of Ohio. Some kids on campus here wear them year round!
  Re: OMG I'm going to cross the Mississippi River! by Harborwitch (For the first time i...)
Sharon, Ashtabula is only an hour's drive east of me. In fact, when I was working for the food broker, I would call on stores out that way. It's much more like "being in the country" than in the suburbs where I live, but they do have large grocery stores with just about anything you could need.

It sounds like you are going to be pretty busy that week, but if you find yourself with any free time at all, make sure you come into Cleveland and go to the West Side Market to nose around. And you better call me if you do!

http://westsidemarket.com/

Oh, and they do get an awful lot of snow out that way, so pack your boots.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: OMG I'm going to cross the Mississippi River! by HomeCulinarian (That's exciting to c...)
There won't be a problem with having your knives in your luggage...checked that is. Take your flip-flops for inside wear, hopefully it'll be warm inside. Outside it'll probably be colder than a welldigger's...uh, uh, lunchpail. Did I tell you about the time I came from Key West to Portland for Christmas? It was in the 90's in KW so all I packed were flip-flops, shorts, and t-shirts...duh! Ohio ain't California Sweetheart! Did you say where in Ohio? If it's on the lakeshore it's even worse....wherever Ashtabula is
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: OMG I'm going to cross the Mississippi River! by Mare749 (Sharon, Ashtabula is...)
We are flying into Cleveland! Hopefully Dawn will be meeting us at the airport so that we can all be picked up together!

I don't know how much time we'll have - it would be great fun to get together!

The wedding is Saturday! Sheesh - nothing like biting off a load - that gives us Friday and part of Saturday. I may have to ***** a box with some dry ice and goodies all done.

Billy I can remember driving from San Diego to Mojave once, my ex told me it was going to be warmer than San Diego - desert and all that! I took flip flops, sun dresses, and shorts and tops. We had 4" of flippin' snow! Grrrrrrrr. High desert was the term he should have used.
  Re: Re: OMG I'm going to cross the Mississippi River! by Harborwitch (We are flying into C...)
Oh how fun!! Get your business cards done before you go - you never know who will be at the wedding and who they are related to or friends of on the west coast!! Be prepared.

As Billy said no problem to check your knives -

So, what have you chosen for hors???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OMG I'm going to cross the Mississippi River! by cjs (Oh how fun!! Get you...)
I'm working on it! Sadly I'm afraid Vienna sausages in BBQ sauce would probably work well. Kathy (Bob's sister has a gas stove and oven - that's good).

I am thinking of your Sesame Chicken - no one doesn't like chicken. I'm browsing through recipes I've made and know and some new ones.

Francois called last night - Le Partage - Bob thinks it's a bit pretentious and people will think I only do French food. ?????