A Question Re Cookbooks.....Again
  Re: (...)
If a cookbook had (or those which do) a section for "Using Leftovers," would this be an eye-catcher to any of you?

I've always loved leftovers and most times think I have more fun working with them, than the original. What thoughts do you all have - just spew out anything and everything, please. and thanks.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: A Question Re Cookbooks.....Again by cjs (If a cookbook had (o...)
As a mom with the kids slowly, but surely moving out, I'm having a little trouble going from 5 PLUS, to just two. That being said, YES! I would love to know what to do with all this food...LOL! Heck, I don't even know how to BUY for two...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Yes, I often make enough for two meals, but would like to change it up a bit for the second one. I think that's a great idea.

BTW, are you going to make wine suggestions?

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
I have a couple books that do that - but they label them something else - like Double duty cooking or something similar.

So you make roasted chicken - but cook 2 or 3 instead of one. Then there is recipes for something that uses cooked chicken like enchiladas or a chicken lasagna and maybe a chicken salad.

When it is labeled that way - I like the idea. I don't think I would go to a section just labeled left overs. But maybe after each Master or Key recipe you could list some ideas or additional recipes for using the key ingredient - grilled salmon dinner expanded into grilled salmon tostada salad, etc.

Or if you did make a seperate section maybe get creative in the title. "Getting creative - using ingredients in new ways" or "Jumping off - reworking those leftovers"
"Where do we go from here - How turn leftovers into a new and exciting meal" "The rubber chicken - 10 ways how to use leftover cooked chicken" None of those are quite right, would take a more creative thought to get the same idea in fewer words.

I am rambling here, but trying to get some thoughts down. As a busy mom I get really tired of making the same things, but I sometimes don't have a lot of time. I'd love some ideas on using up that left over beer can chicken I have in the refrigerator. BUT - my husband hates having leftovers for dinner again. So it really would need to be a clever way of saying it, if it is going to appeal to some people.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
I love this idea. Perhaps on the original recipe you could flag it that this recipe also has a follow up Left Over Recipe.

So if they make it they know they can do more with it later.

Put that section before a glossary or index.
  Re: Re: A Question Re Cookbooks.....Again by esgunn (I have a couple book...)
Most of the time I will make a major deal out of a new or favorite recipe and then have enough left for the next night's meal---changes, of course, to make it seem a little different. It is only the two of us most of the time so new ideas, of any kind, are always welcome in my kitchen.

Peter is not into the casserole thang but is willing to try most anything I concoct----what a good sport he is!!

Speaking of which---Has anybody else ordered the Cuisine for Two issue yet??? I did last week and cannot wait to get it......

I think a more simple idea for a "leftover" is necessary--not too complicated but somthing that one may feel a little creative would be nice.....

Can't wait to see your creation, Jean----when will this be ready??? (NO pressure, or anything!!! )
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: A Question Re Cookbooks.....Again by Roxanne 21 (Most of the time I w...)
"I am rambling here" - erin, that is exactly what I want everyone to do, rambling brings out some great ideas -

Roxanne, probably a year, I'm just starting this one - all original recipes, so screw the idea of losing weight this coming year.

My thots so far are to add to a recipe a couple of references for leftovers that are written up in a separate section.

There are so many baby boomers out there who are now just a couple. The hardest thing for me to relearn to cook when all the kids were gone, was potatoes....two dinky little potatoes in a pot just didn't cut it for me...took a long time. and gravy - and there are so many things to do with leftover gravy.....

P.S. and please all you new folks, Madeline, Trixxee and everyone else, please chime in here - I need all of your ideas. and thanks.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A Question Re Cookbooks.....Again by esgunn (I have a couple book...)
Quote:

Or if you did make a seperate section maybe get creative in the title. "Getting creative - using ingredients in new ways"

That is where my mind went when I read the question: "Creative Leftovers." If you wish to be more euphemistic, it could be something like "Reusing Your Previously Cooked Creations."

Hey, if they can call a used car "previously owned," why not use a different way of saying "leftovers"?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: A Question Re Cookbooks.....Again by cjs ("I am rambling here"...)
Jean---I made a wonderful scalloped potatoe for two tonight that was to die for!!! It is a recipe of C@H ---Issue 20 page 19.....I made 1/3 of the recipe and it came out perfectly. I'm sort of sad I didn't make the ENTIRE recipe---I would have gourged myself with ALL of it---no leftovers there...

Seriously---most of the recipes I make from C@H are at least halved and we still have leftouts (as they say here). Please keep us informed with your project...nice idea!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: A Question Re Cookbooks.....Again by Roxanne 21 (Jean---I made a wond...)
What I'm finding I do quite frequently is, as I'm doing right now with Lamb shanks - I'm doing half the shanks,onions, and the seasonings, but I'm using the whole amount of wine, stock, so I'll have some wonderful leftover stock, but I won't go thru all our lamb. Sauces I normally make the entire recipes worth.

thanks, I'm getting great feel for what to do with all you guys are contributing - and you all will be thanked, but forget getting a free cookbook, Roy's ready to put me on the steets for bring in some money.... (please, I'm kidding)
www.achefsjourney.com