Fabricating the Crown Roast of Pork
  Re: (...)
Creating the Crown roast of pork from the bone on pork loin. I love a crown roast of pork. Perhaps one of my favorite dishes. So while my Cougar and daughter is getting the table ready, I am fabricating the meat.

[Image: cougar.jpg]

I start off with what I thought was a full loin roast, bone in! But the packing house had a different idea. I normally use John Morrell packing for my pork. But it was not to be as my order had a "Substitute" listed on the ticket. The word substitute is Sysco slang for "inferior product we
need to move fast!" So first I have to call and [censored] to get the price down from the John Morrell quality level to the Hormel level. Don't get me wrong, it is still a decent cut of meat. But it is not worthy of the premium you pay
to get Morrell cuts for a Hormel item. For instance Morrell will give the whole loin to you. This one has half the loin lopped off. Sold as boneless loin in another package, if I had to guess. Morrell generally comes with 12 ribs on the
roast. This one has 9 ribs and a blade cut, making it tough to fabricate into the crown roast. But we will get it done.

[Image: porkloin.jpg]

First thing I like to do it trim the fat up to my liking. Then I remove the chime bone (This is the back bone or spine) Then I will start to French the rack off. Last I will form and tie the cut. To begin Frenching the rack I make a cut with the boning knife down the length of the ribs at the level I want to see nice bones.

[Image: french1.jpg]

You can see the straight line where I cut all the way along the ribs to set the removal point for Frenching the roast. Then I start to work up through the ribs to remove the majority of the meat. After that I will go back and pull the remaining membrane and any meat still attached to the roast.

[Image: french2.jpg]

Then go after the membrane.

[Image: french3.jpg]

[Image: frenchfnsh.jpg]

Now if I was doing several of these for a catering I would be using the Violin E-string to zip these membranes off. But since it is only 9 ribs and a blade cut I just do the work with the boning knife. To finish you have to form the roast. Now since the short end is smaller than the large
end, you can trim to level the roast. But hey, this is family so I will leave the meat on there so the roast will tilt a little.

[Image: forming.jpg]

After forming you can use one of those rubber lid gripper pads and strip the remaining connective tissue off the bones. I really pound on the meat to get it to form. If you don't have the strength to do that you can remove little wedges of meat every third bone to get it to fit together easier. Last you have to tie it up, add you stuffing and toss it in the oven.

[Image: roast.jpg]

It is prettier for presentation if you take the knife to it at the end and level it from the bottom. But darn I hate to see that loin go into the stock pot. Much better for it to pass over the tongue! And like I said it is family today!

Now you can avoid all this and just ask the butcher for a crown roast. They are more than happy to fabricate it for you. But I thought you might want to know what goes into fabricating one of those rare "perfect" cuts of meat
that is the Crown Roast of Pork. It is tied backwards of a butcher tie, I like the fat on the outside of the roast.

'Til we talk again, make a nice roast for the family, they will enjoy it.

Chef Bob Ballantyne
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering
Grand Junction, Colorado, USA
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Fabricating the Crown Roast of Pork by bbally (Creating the Crown r...)
Wow! Looks beautiful. You make it look so easy - I might even do it some day!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Fabricating the Crown Roast of Pork by esgunn (Wow! Looks beautif...)
That is one cut that I am determined to do one day---thanks for the tutorial, Bob----will come in handy when I can find a nice cut of pork-----meat prices here are going through the ROOF!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Fabricating the Crown Roast of Pork by Roxanne 21 (That is one cut that...)
Just a point to keep in mind, I wrap it backwards from what a butcher would do.

I like the fat cap on the outside to baste the meat, and it makes a much bigger area for stuffing.
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: Fabricating the Crown Roast of Pork by bbally (Just a point to keep...)
Interesting point, Bob.

I ordered a crown roast a couple of years ago from one of our local butcher shops and I was soo upset withy the final product that I have not even thought about doing it again...it was really disgusting!!! Beautiful presentation....gorgeously stuffed with the cherries and decorations on the bones (can't think of the name of those paper frills at the moment...a senile moment...CRS again!) Anyway, I went to investigate the center of the roast for some strange reason and it was ALL FAT AND the skin was left on with the ink marks from the slaughtering process...sorry guys...just thought I would share a very sad butchery South African experience. Needless to say...I did throw the whole entire ( ) thang away---haven't thought about it since.

I will attempt Bob's but maybe turn it inside/out??
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy