What's It To Be?
  Re: (...)
I have a ham thawing in the refrigerator; but, was reading a book and it mentioned Hot Spicy [not too spicy] Goulash and then I thought about some 18-Hour Bread [gotta get that started].

I want GOULASH! Never have made any, but that's what I want! Anyone got a tried & true recipe? Pretty Please?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: What's It To Be? by bjcotton (I have a ham thawing...)
oh man, my mother made what she called goulash every couple weeks. Her's (and mine I guess) was just a tomato sauce, hamburger, noodles, and clean the fridge kinda thing. And if we felt flush, a little sour cream - not the least bit 'classic'
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's It To Be? by cjs (oh man, my mother ma...)
Do you want GOULASH, or do you want something for which to use the ham? Goulash (Bogrács Gulyás) is a beef dish. There is, however, Székely Gulyás, for pork, but that's made with sauerkraut and sour cream.

Would that I had the recipe from the no-longer-open "Hungarian Village" restaurant in Daytona Beach, FL. Their goulash was simply amazing. For that matter, so was ANYTHING they made, since it was owned by an elderly Hungarian couple, and the woman did most of the cooking herself! Unfortunately, after having been in business many years, they finally closed up when it became too much for her to handle.

Although I have yet to try either of these, here are the Bogrács Gulyás and Székely Gulyás recipes from The Hungarian Cookebook, by Susan Derecskey, which I recently found in a used-book store (yes, believe it or not, here in Honduras!).

Goulash (Bogrács Gulyás}
Ingredients:
  • 1 Large Onion, finely chopped
  • About 3 Tbsp cooking oil or lard
  • 1 1/2 Lb Lean stewing beef, cut in 1-inch cubes
  • 1 Tsp Paprika (Doesn't sound like nearly enough, from what I remember of what that restaurant served)
  • 3/4 Tsp Caraway seeds, mashed with the back of a spoon
  • Pinch of Marjoram
  • Salt
  • 2 Cloves Garlic, peeled and stuck on toothpicks
  • 4 Cups Beef stock or canned beef broth
  • 1 Medium Green pepper, cored, cut in 1/2-inch strips
  • 3 Small Peeled tomatoes, preferably canned
  • 2 Lb (about 8 or 9 medium) potatoes
  • Csipetke (pinched noodles - separate recipe) (optional)
Instructions:
  1. Using a Dutch oven or heavy casserole with a cover, sauté the onion in 3 tablespoons of oil or lard until it wilts. Remove to a side dish.
  2. Pat the meat dry and brown it, using more oil or lard if necessary. Put the meat in the side dish.
  3. Pour 1/2 cup water into the pot, scrape up the juices and stir in the paprika, caraway seeds, marjoram, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Add the garlic.
  4. Put the beef and onions back in the pot, and add enough stock to cover the meat by 2 inches. Simmer for 1 hour, covered, adding more stock as necessary to keep the meat well covered with sauce.
  5. Mix in the green pepper strips and tomatoes and continue simmering.
  6. Peel the potatoes and cut the in 1/2-inch dice; keep them in cold water until ready to use.
  7. When the gulyás has been simmering for 1 1/2 hours, stir in the potatoes and 1 teaspoon salt and enough water to cover them. Simmer another 25 minutes, partially covered, or until the potatoes are done.
  8. Ideally, gulyás has the consistency of a good Manhattan clam chowder, though it can also be somewhat thinner. If it is too thick, add some hot water, a little at a time. discard the garlic, degrease and taste the sauce. It may need more salt.
  9. Stir in the csipetke and serve. Gulyás is usually brought to the table in the cooking pot or a soup tureen and ladled out into flat soup bowls.

Pinched Noodles (Csipetke)
Ingredients:
  • 1 Cup Sifted all-purpose flour or 1 Cup minus 2 Tbsp granular (instant-blending) flour
  • 1/2 Tsp salt
  • 1 Egg
  • 1 Tbsp Oil
Instructions:
  1. Mix the flour and salt and add the egg.
  2. Stir to make a stiff dough, sprinkling on a few drops of cold water, if necessary.
  3. Knead until smooth.
  4. Let the dough rest for at least 30 minutes.
  5. Flatten it a bit at a time between your floured palms (or roll it out 1/8 inch thick on a floured board) and pinch off pieces slightly smaller that a dime.
  6. Drop them into rapidly boiling salted water and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
  7. Drain and rinse the csipetke, and stir them directly into the stew or soup, if ready. Otherwise, turn the csipetke into a bowl, coat with oil, and set aside in a warm place until ready to use.

Szekler Goulash (Székely Gulyás)
Ingredients:
  • 3 Lb Sauerkraut, preferably fresh or in a plastic bag (if neither is available, use canned sauerkraut)
  • 2 Tbsp Buttermilk
  • 1/2 Cup Sour cream
  • 2 Lb Shoulder of pork
  • 1 Cup Chopped onions
  • 3 Tbsp Oil
  • 1 1/2 Tsp Salt
  • 1 1/2 Tsp Paprika
  • 1/2 Tsp caraway seed, crushed with the back of a spoon
  • Boiled potatoes
Instructions:
  1. Rinse the sauerkraut and squeeze dry. If it still tastes briny, rinse a second time.
  2. Blend the buttermilk into the sour cream and set aside.
  3. Cut the meat into 1-inch cubes and pat dry.
  4. In a 3-quart flameproof casserole, sauté the onions in oil until they turn transparent.
  5. Push them to one side and start browning the meat lightly on all sides.
  6. Remove the meat to a side dish.
  7. Pour 1/2 cup of water into the pan and scrape up the juices, then stir in the salt, paprika, and caraway seeds.
  8. Put the meat back into the pan and spread the sauerkraut over it. (If canned sauerkraut is used, add it only after the meat has cooked 1 hour.)
  9. Pour in enough water to barely cover the sauerkraut, put the lid on, and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until the meat and sauerkraut are tender. Add more water during the cooking period to keep the gulyás barely covered with sauce.
  10. When done, remove from the heat and let cool.
  11. Mix 2 tablespoons of sauce into the sour cream, then slowly stir the mixture back into the pot.
  12. Taste and correct the seasoning.
  13. Bring back to the simmer.
  14. Székely gulyás may be served directly from the pot or from a deep bowl. Each person should get a couple of boiled potatoes and a generous helping of meat, sauerkraut, and sauce.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What's It To Be? by labradors (Do you want GOULASH,...)
hmmmm, those sound good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Well. Billy, I'm with Jean in the recollections of goulash department, kinda like American chop suey, ya know?

Looks like Labs has come to the rescue again with some authentic recipes!!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: What's It To Be? by pjcooks (Well. Billy, I'm wit...)
I sure do huh? I was thinking beef, but will keep the pork one too sans sauerkraut.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Billy, here is a really simple recipe that I have used and we really like it.

Beef Goulash
2 lbs. beef, cubed
3 T. oil
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 small onion, chopped
1 can Tomato soup
1/4 cup water
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. paprika
1/4 pint dairy sour cream

Heat oil in skillet and brown meat on all sides. Place meat in crockpot and saute mushrooms and onion a few minutes in a skillet. To the crockpot add all remaining ingredients except sour cream. Pour mixture over meat and stir together. Cook for 7-9 hours. At serving time, spoon on sour cream and serve with noodles or rice.

We really like this with noodles. Also, you don't have to put it in a crockpot if you don't want to. I have put this in a dutch oven and into the regular oven for about 2 hours and it comes out fine that way too.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."