Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding
  Re: (...)
Being a New Hampshirite I love all things bread. This caught my eye in Gourmet, Dec 2007. What a fabulous side dish, I could make a meal of this!

[Image: DSCN0899.jpg]

4 cups (1/2-inch) fresh bread cubes (preferably brioche or challah; about 5 ounces)
1 1/2 pounds mixed fresh wild mushrooms such as chanterelle, cremini, and oyster, trimmed
1/2 cup finely chopped shallot
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 cups half-and-half
4 large eggs
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Equipment: 8 (6-ounce) ramekins
Preparation
Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
Bake bread cubes in 1 layer in a large shallow baking pan until golden-brown, about 10 minutes.
Tear or cut mushrooms lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick pieces.
Cook shallot in butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook until liquid mushrooms give off has evaporated, about 15 minutes. Add parsley and garlic and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
Whisk together half-and-half, eggs, cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Stir in mushrooms and bread cubes until coated well and let stand 10 minutes for bread to absorb some of egg mixture.
Meanwhile, butter ramekins, then put a round of parchment in bottom of each and butter parchment.
Spoon mixture into ramekins and bake on a baking sheet until firm to the touch, 30 to 35 minutes. Unmold puddings and discard parchment.
Cooks' notes:
• Mushroom bread pudding can be baked in a buttered 2-quart shallow baking dish (not lined with parchment; do not unmold pudding from baking dish).
• Bread cubes can be baked 1 day ahead and cooled, then kept in an airtight container at room temperature.
• Pudding can be assembled (but not baked) 2 hours ahead and chilled, covered.

This is very good, all you mushroom lovers out there, I used oyster, shittake and cremini.

And, for once, Jean, I actually posted the recipe, with the pic, before you yelled at me!!

PJ

I have to add, this is probably the first Gourmet recipe I've had success with in 20 years...
PJ
  Re: Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding by pjcooks (Being a New Hampshir...)
moi??? oh boy that looks so good!! duly copied.

(thank God, she's learning... )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding by cjs (moi??? [img]/ubbthre...)
Looks yummy Sweet Thang

Jean, where can I find that Liberal Kitchen you fixed Christmas?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding by bjcotton (Looks yummy Sweet Th...)
"Liberal Kitchen" - huh? don't know what that is.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding by cjs ("Liberal Kitchen" - ...)
Quote:

"Liberal Kitchen" - huh? don't know what that is.

Shall I?

No - I'd better not.

It would be like shooting fish in a barrel, though.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
well, I'm guessing something is going right over my head...

go ahead lab, shoot the fish.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding by cjs (well, I'm guessing s...)
Quote:

well, I'm guessing something is going right over my head...

go ahead lab, shoot the fish.

LOL! I'll let you know in a PM, so as to minimise the potential for offending anyone.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding by pjcooks (Being a New Hampshir...)
PJ that looks really good. I have been meaning to try bread pudding, again. My mom made it before. [but as I have said there are many things that my mom made that are NOTHING like I have come to find the same as an adult].

I love mushrooms too, this looks like a good one for me to try. Copied and pasted! Thanks!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
No fair keeping us in the dark!!! I'm not easily offended if that helps any, look what you started, Billy dear!!!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding by pjcooks (No fair keeping us i...)
Same here! No fair! Don't keep us in the dark, you won't offend me either.

Thanks for the recipe, PJ, sounds very good.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."