Mystery Community Dinner - January 7, 2008
  Re: (...)
Here goes our first ‘community mystery bag’ dinner – our ingredients:

Spinach (or collard greens, whatever you can get) (Lorraine)
Ground beef/round (jean)
Mushrooms (Denise)
Polenta (Sharon)
Bell pepper (Mary Ann)
Onion/garlic (shall we say just onion and garlic and not bring in the hundreds of other members of the allium family?) (Billy)
Cream (Daphne
Tomatoes (Cis)
Parmesan (Roxanne)
Wine (PJ)
Leeks (Lab)

Guidelines:
1. Do what you can with what you can use – just try too use as many of the called for ingredients as possible.
2. we have access to our pantry – herbs/spices/vinegars/oils/panko/salt & Pepper
(plus the definition of ‘condiment’ - "a savory, piquant, spicy or salty accompaniment to food, such as a relish, sauce, mixture of spices and so on. Ketchup and mustard are two of the most popular condiments."
3. doesn’t have to be an original dish – whatever you want to prepare
4. pictures are optional
5. no scoring except what we do in our own homes – but be prepared to write up some recipes, ‘cause we’re probably all going to want what we all fixed…
6. let’s don’t take this too seriously, we want to have fun
7. due date for results – January 7, 2008

sound o.k. to everyone?

It's now, what 9:20 a.m est? If we need any editing of the above we can do it before the 12 noon deadline so everything is in one post and we're all on the same page.

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Mystery Community Dinner - January 7, 2008 by cjs (Here goes our first ...)
Quote:

Bell pepper (Mary Ann)

Will be using Red peppers, based upon original list.
Quote:

Onion/garlic (shall we say just onion and garlic and not bring in the hundreds of other members of the allium family?) (Billy)

Since the original inclusion of the entire allium family was to allow freedom within that family, instead of restricting it to the originally proposed, harder-to-find cippolini, I am already planning to use leeks, green onions and chives based upon the original list. The leeks will be integral, but the green onions or chives will be garnish.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
This is going to be fun! I'll print out the list and let my mind play! Giggle.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Mystery Community Dinner - January 7, 2008 by Harborwitch (This is going to be ...)
Oooooh this is so hard! NOT! I just might invite my friend, John [the wuy with kidney disease] to come over and play. His family is really, really picky.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Mystery Community Dinner - January 7, 2008 by bjcotton (Oooooh this is so ha...)
"The leeks will be integral, but the green onions or chives will be garnish."

Lab, that's exactly why I mentioned keeping it to onion/garlic - leeks completely make (or break) a dish, imo.
You have not chosen an ingredient - why not choose leeks - I'd love that!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mystery Community Dinner - January 7, 2008 by cjs ("The leeks will be i...)
Quote:

Lab, that's exactly why I mentioned keeping it to onion/garlic - leeks completely make (or break) a dish, imo.
You have not chosen an ingredient - why not choose leeks - I'd love that!!

Because the category had only been "the allium family," I had not chosen, since I already have green onions, had planned on leeks, both were already on the list (as "allium family"), and I didn't want to be restrictive to the others.

If I should or must declare them, then I will certainly opt for the addition of leeks as one of the ingredients, but I'm trying not to force anyone else into them.

Otherwise, unless anything changes, I currently have four, or maybe even five recipes planned. It will be interesting, since these will all be "off the cuff."

Likewise, since nobody is saying anything about staples, either I will use milk, and be objurgated, or just water down some cream.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Mystery Community Dinner - January 7, 2008 by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
O.K. everyone, it's noon on the east coast of the U.S. - times up.

We'll go with what we have and see where it takes us. Have fun!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mystery Community Dinner - January 7, 2008 by cjs (O.K. everyone, it's ...)
I'm in! I'll have to make it in VA. I think this will be a hoot.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Mystery Community Dinner - January 7, 2008 by Lorraine (I'm in! I'll have t...)
Well Lolly, you and Gilster ought to have some help if you wait until after the 27th when your Xmas presents get delivered
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
I'm in---of course!!!! I am not that very creative---just love to have that recipe and instructions in hand but I will play along!!! SOUNDS like a great adventure for the beginner cook in us mere "beginners" ---- Jan 7---what a great way to begin a creative New Year in the kitchen!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy