Looking For Opinions...
  Re: (...)
What draws you to a cookbook - other than a familiar author?

Do you like a picture or pictures on the cover?

Do you prefer verbage about the book on the cover instead of pictures?

Any other ideas for covers that catch your eye?

thanks for all your ideas that I hope you'll give me.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Looking For Opinions... by cjs (What draws you to a ...)
I prefer a short description of what I can expect to find inside...if not on the cover, inside the leaf. A picture on the cover that makes me drool.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Looking For Opinions... by bjcotton (I prefer a short des...)
I agree, a picture or pictures on the cover of what I can expect to find inside. Like maybe appy, main dish, side, dessert collag type pix on the cover?
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Looking For Opinions... by farnfam (I agree, a picture o...)
I search for content----whatever main thread I wish---- and then I listen to contributors on this forum for favorites!!!

Just received Heatter's Baking today--Billy's suggestion---I went to Amazon and purchased an almost new book---IT IS NEW!!!! I don't think it was ever opened-----for $5.00---how can one lose???? Now I will have to find some time to really peruse the recipes and decide what I will tackle---too many thangs happening though---soon, for sure!!!

The only disappointment with this book---no pics of the recipes made---I love to compare my final result with the master's result!!! No big deal!!!

The cover pic is always the draw, IMHO!!!! BUT, when ordering on line--that is the only draw other than the short critique---I'm an easy sell!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
One of my favorite cookbooks is one that has a wonderful cover photo and simply says 'PASTA' on the cover. That initially drew me to the book. When I opened it there were two features that I liked most. 1)More beautiful photos that made me want to try the dish and 2) wine pairing suggestions for each dish. I loved that.

Are you doing another cookbook Jean???

My family one is done and I had it made in an 8x11 hardcover version too! Cookbooks are wonderful things...
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Looking For Opinions... by luvnit (One of my favorite c...)
I like pictures - can make me buy the book
and I like big type - also serving suggestions along with the recipes

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Looking For Opinions... by mjkcooking (I like pictures - c...)
"Are you doing another cookbook Jean???" - well, yes and no. Two are in the works, but the opinions I'm looking for here (well I'll probably keep in mind for the others too!) are for a new cover for Share A Recipe Cookbook.

The website that was the impetus for this book (that all proceeds go for Chef Scholarships, hint, hint ) was sold to a group who do not seem to be as altruistic as the old group, so with their logo on the book, I have to kind of fly under the radar.

So, the best thing to do is put a new cover on and get rid of their logo - but everything else stays the same.

(and I did recieve a check the other day...thank you very much and I'll get the book out asap )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Quote:

What draws you to a cookbook - other than a familiar author?

CONTENT. A familiar author means nothing to me if the book won't contain anything I am interested in using or making.

Since one of my main objectives for cooking is to try as many different world cuisines as possible, using recipes that are as authentic as possible, I use the Internet (or ask people who are native to a particular culture) to find out what foods would best represent the culture - either for everyday meals or special occasions. Other types that I like are ones that focus upon a particular ingredient, or that provide detailed and useful instruction.

Very often, I will ask those same people for actual recipes (such as the lumpia I am about to try making, for which I even joined a Filipino website that has a "Filipino Food and Fiestas" forum). If I then look through corresponding cookbooks, I'll compare to make sure the recipes therein have not been too "Americanised."

Quote:

Do you like a picture or pictures on the cover?

I do not consider them necessary but, when they are used, I prefer photos that feature representative food items, not people, not landscapes, not art, but something for which the recipe IS inside, and that would be something more likely to be made, instead of just having been chose for a flashy presentation.

Quote:

Do you prefer verbage about the book on the cover instead of pictures?

Again, I'm all about the CONTENT. Verbiage (by definition, excessive wordiness) would NOT be acceptable. Brief, biographical information about the author/editor is okay, but most of the text should describe the CONTENT of the book in such a way as to be accurate AND to give me a good reason for choosing the book over others, including some idea of how involved or difficult the average recipes in the book are.

Quote:

Any other ideas for covers that catch your eye?

Not so much catching the eye, but also important: covers that won't fall apart when used in a kitchen (instead of just sitting on a bookshelf), and whose ink won't come off on your hands (especially due to contact with things that would be used in the kitchen).

One thing that DOES catch my eye, but in a negative way, is incorrect spelling, grammar, and punctuation, and other signs of sloppiness and unprofessionalism. If the book is something being offered as a typical "church cookbook," or similarly self-published work, I will relax those standards, to some degree, but the content will remain the deciding factor.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Looking For Opinions... by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I do like a little treatise about the recipe with each recipe. Love good illustrations. Really don't care for page filler illustrations, Jamie Oliver was guilty of that. I know what a lovely fresh cabbage leaf looks like. Don't care about the author, might be someone I have never heard of, which means nothing. I think the cover is irrelevant, but may be some indication of content. Content is everything.
  Re: Re: Looking For Opinions... by cjs ("Are you doing anoth...)
If you are intersted in the publisher I am using for my cookbook I can tell you that you DO NOT have to have their logo on the book. You can also have people order direct from them and you receive your entire commission/donation that is deposited to your account.

I have two versions of the book one in paperback coil bound and a larger hardcover version. It's pretty slick. I used one of their covers, but you can do your own too.

If you want info, let me know. I will pass it on.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura