Standing Rib Roast?
  Re: (...)
Any hints or recipes for making standing rib roast? My husband wants this for our formal Xmas eve dinner, and I've never made one. Normally against my better judgment to experiment with holiday dinners, but he really is excited about it, and I'd like to try. Figured you all would be my best resource on how to do this! I gues my biggest concern is that I don't want for it to come out tough or dry. Not sure if this meat can tend to be tough, and not sure how to ensure that it doesn't dry out. Thanks!
  Re: Standing Rib Roast? by carolekv (Any hints or recipes...)
Is this what you are looking for, Carole?

Prime Rib Au Jus
(Cuisine, December 1999, Issue 18, p. 27)

Makes: Six 10 oz. Slices Total Time: 2 1/2–3 1/2 Hours Rating: Easy

For the Prime Rib—
Season with Salt and Roast:
1 4-rib roast, (about 8 lb.)

For the “Au Jus”—
Brown:
Prime rib bones, cut apart
1 cup carrot, diced
1 cup yellow onion, diced
1 cup celery, diced
2 T. garlic, minced

Deglaze with:
2 cups dry red wine

Add and Simmer:
3 cups low-sodium beef broth

Strain, then Add:
1 T. fresh thyme leaves

Preheat the oven to 325°. Place the roast in a shallow roasting pan, rib-side down. You don’t need a rack.

To season, rub a thick coat of coarse salt on top of the fat—it seasons the roast and “au jus,” and holds in the heat. Place roast in oven on bottom rack. Check the internal temperature of the roast after 2 hours. This will give you an idea of where you are. Place the thermometer in the thickest part of the roast, away from the rib bones and the ends (which cook faster). This first temperature will be 80–90°. It should take about 2 1/2 hours for the roast to reach 115°, but its temperature rises quickly toward the end. So, take its temperature (in the same spot in the roast as before) about every 10 minutes after the 2-hour mark. Don’t let it overcook. Once the roast reaches 115°, remove it from the oven and place it on a cutting board with a trench. You’ll need the trench to catch all the juices when you carve. Cut the strings and remove them, and then remove the ribs and set them aside for the “au jus.” Cover the roast with aluminum foil, and let it rest for 20 minutes while making the “au jus.” The foil helps the residual heat finish “cooking” the roast. After 20 minutes, check the temperature one more time. It should be about 125°—perfectly rare. Pour fat out of the pan. Cut between bones and into individual ribs. Return ribs to the pan. Place pan over two burners on high heat.

To brown, add the vegetables to the bones, and saute until the vegetables are browned, about 10 min.

Deglaze the pan with wine, making sure to scrape all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.

Add broth, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove bones.

Strain “au jus” in strainer lined with cheesecloth. Add thyme. Taste first, then season with salt and pepper if needed. Remove the fat cap. To carve, place pressure on the downward stroke only. Don’t saw back and forth. It will make marks on the slices. I like really thick slices. You’ll get about 6–7, 10 oz. slices out of a 4-rib roast.

Nutrition Information (Per 10 oz. of beef with 1/4 cup):
725 calories 48% calories from fat 38g total fat 4g carb. 661mg sodium

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
© August Home Publishing Company
www.CuisineAtHome.com

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Standing Rib Roast? by pjcooks (Is this what you are...)
Carol, do you have access to Cook's Illustrated? There is a step by step instruction there that is to die for!!! Always a winner, even for the first timer!!!

The recipe posted by pj is great as well----any more info you would like---pm me!! I don't think I can do the CI thang on this forum---proper etiquette??
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Standing Rib Roast? by Roxanne 21 (Carol, do you hav...)
The method PJ posted should give you a very nice offering for your holiday dinner!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Standing Rib Roast? by carolekv (Any hints or recipes...)
We made our very first one last holiday season. I couldn't believe how easy it was. We basically just seasoned it and threw it in the oven. Just be careful not to overcook - I think ours was a tad over done (my sister was getting worried it was too rare) and against my better judgement cooked it a little too long. At the time we didn't have a digital thermometer - we have one now and I won't make that mistake again.

We cheated and used an au jus packet for the gravy (that was mainly for the mashed potatoes). I also made a horseradish chive cream sauce for the meat. It was outstanding and so easy. I'd be glad to dig that up for you if you're interested. It can be made ahead of time so it's one less think you have to do later in the day.
  Re: Re: Standing Rib Roast? by Trixxee (We made our very fir...)
I don't have access to Cooks Illustrated, but I'm assuming that it's a paid online service? I can try the one up top though. Sounds great to me! Also, I would love the horseradish chive cream sauce recipe, Trixxee! Thank you all so much!
  Re: Re: Standing Rib Roast? by carolekv (I don't have access ...)
Here you go! I've made it twice, once with creme fraiche and once with sour cream. I think the creme fraiche was more decadent, but if you can't find it the sour cream is perfectly fine. I would bring it closer to room temp before serving (or at least just not fresh cold out of the fridge).

Makes about 2 cups.

1 1/2 cups crème fraîche or sour cream
1/2 cup prepared white horseradish (you want to drain this - let sit in a fine strainer and push the horseradish down with a fork to get rid of the extra moisture). Of course you could use fresh horseradish which would be even better.
6 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

Whisk all ingredients to blend in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill.)
  Re: Re: Standing Rib Roast? by Trixxee (Here you go! I've m...)
By the way, everyone - this was FABULOUS on Christmas day and quite easy - we cooked it in the rotisserie. Was done much earlier than the timing in the rotisserie book said, but then, I'd predicted that. Seems like this happens alot when we cook in the rotisserie - although, don't get me wrong - I love food cooked in it! Just have to be prepared to not have to scramble with all of my sides and gravies!
  Re: Re: Standing Rib Roast? by carolekv (By the way, everyone...)
"Normally against my better judgment to experiment with holiday dinners, but he really is excited about it, and I'd like to try." - See, no reason to worry at all!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Standing Rib Roast? by cjs ("Normally against my...)
We cooked one too. Used a combination of the C@H Dec 2007 recipe or was it Holiday Menus? and the CI Best Recipes method. Put it in a hot oven 425 For 15 minutes rubbed with salt, pepper and fresh garlic. Then turned down the oven to 250 and roasted until temp registered 130 (Med-rare)It was perfectly cooked med-rare all the way through. Absolutely delicious.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.