Looking for Recipe from December 2005 Issue
  Re: (...)
I am looking for the Stuffed Filet Recipe from the December 2005 issue. There was also a warm salad recipe that I would like to have. I have every issue that I ever received except the one I need. If any one can help I would be so greatful.
  Re: Looking for Recipe from December 2005 Issue by Tholley (I am looking for the...)
Here you go and welcome to the forums, Tholley!!

Shrimp Étouffée Stuffed Filet Mignon
(Cuisine at home, December 2005, Issue 54, p. 8)

Makes: 4 Stuffed Filets Total Time: 1 Hour + Chilling Rating: Intermediate

For the Filling —
Saute; Stir in:
2 strips thick-sliced bacon, diced
2 T. all-purpose flour
1 T. tomato paste

Add:
1/4 cup celery, diced
1/4 cup green bell pepper, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 t. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 t. ground thyme

Stir in and Cool:
2/3 cup beef or chicken broth
1 cup shrimp, peeled, deveined, and diced (8 oz.)
Salt and Tabasco to taste

For the Filets —
Tie and Sear; Cut Pockets in:
4 filet mignon steaks, 2 inches thick (about 8 oz. each)
Salt and pepper
3 T. olive oil

Stuff with:
Shrimp Étouffée Filling, above

Pulse; Top Steaks with:
1 slice white or wheat bread, buttered
3 sprigs fresh parsley leaves

Related Recipes:

Béarnaise Sauce

Spinach-Blue Cheese Stuffed Filet Mignon

Warm Roasted Vegetable Salad

Saute bacon in a skillet over medium heat until fat is rendered but bacon is not yet crisp, about 3 minutes. Stir in flour and tomato paste; cook until mixture darkens slightly, about 3 more minutes.

Add celery, bell pepper, garlic, Worcestershire, and thyme. Cook until vegetables soften, 3-4 minutes.

Stir in broth and shrimp; simmer until thickened, about 7 minutes. Season with salt and Tabasco. Cool, then stuff filets.

Tie filets, as shown on right; pat dry with paper towels and season. Sear steaks in oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes on each side. Transfer to a cooling rack; cut pockets in filets, as shown on right.

Stuff steaks with filling as on right. (Stuffed filets may be covered with plastic and chilled for up to 24 hours. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before roasting.)

Pulse bread and parsley in a food processor until crumbly. Sprinkle on top of stuffed filets just before finishing in the oven. Preheat oven to 400°. Roast filets on a rack for 20-30 minutes. Let rest, then remove strings before serving. Shown here served with Béarnaise Sauce.

-----

oooops, there were two in that issue!!
(Cuisine at home, December 2005, Issue 54, p. 10)

Makes: 4 Stuffed Filets Total Time: 1 Hour + Chilling Rating: Intermediate

For the Filling —
Saute and Add:
3 strips thick-sliced bacon, diced
6 cups fresh spinach, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup dry sherry

Combine:
Spinach mixture
1 cup blue cheese, crumbled
1 T. minced fresh thyme
Salt and pepper to taste

For the Filets —
Tie and Sear; Cut Pockets in:
4 filet mignon steaks, 2 inches thick (about 8 oz. each)
Salt and pepper
3 T. olive oil

Stuff Filling into Filets; Top with:
2 T. Parmesan cheese, shredded

Related Recipes:

Shrimp Étouffée Stuffed Filet Mignon

Béarnaise Sauce

Saute bacon in a saute pan over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add garlic and spinach; stir to coat with drippings. Add sherry and cook until nearly evaporated, about 5 minutes, scraping up the bits from the pan. Cool slightly.

Combine spinach mixture with cheese, thyme, and seasonings.

Tie filets; pat dry with paper towels and season. Sear steaks in oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes on each side. Transfer to a cooling rack; cut pockets in filets, as shown.

Stuff steaks with filling using a small spoon to push the filling under the flaps of meat. Pile more filling on top of the flaps. (Stuffed filets may be covered with plastic and chilled for up to 24 hours. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before roasting.) Sprinkle tops of filets with cheese just before finishing in the oven. Preheat oven to 400°. Roast filets on a rack for 20–30 minutes. Let rest, then remove strings before serving. Shown here with Béarnaise Sauce and Warm Roasted Vegetable Salad.

------
(Cuisine at home, December 2005, Issue 54, p. 11)

Makes: 6 Cups Total Time: 20 Minutes Rating: Easy

Prepare and Roast:
2 cups asparagus, cut into 2 inch pieces
2 cups button mushrooms
12 cherry tomatoes
2 T. olive oil
Salt and pepper

Whisk Together; Pour over:
1/4 cup olive oil
3 T. red wine vinegar
2 T. shallot, minced
1 T. prepared horseradish
1 T. chopped fresh parsley
1 T. honey
Salt and pepper, to taste
Roasted vegetables

Spoon over:
4 cups mesclun salad mix

Related Recipes:

Bernaise Sauce

Preheat oven to 400°.

Prepare vegetables and spread on a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil, stir to coat, and season with salt and pepper. Roast 10 minutes, or until tomato skins split and mushrooms are browned.

Whisk together remaining ingredients (except mesclun mix) and pour over hot roasted vegetables.

Spoon warm vegetable mixture over mesclun mix just before serving. Shown here with Spinach-Blue Cheese Stuffed Filet Mignon.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Looking for Recipe from December 2005 Issue by Tholley (I am looking for the...)
Welcome Tholley, glad you could join us. Lots of good stuff here!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Welcome, Thol!

I made the blue cheese version a few years ago, it was reallyreally good.

Join us often! We have fun here!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Looking for Recipe from December 2005 Issue by cjs (Here you go and welc...)
Thank you for the recipes.

T
  Re: Re: Looking for Recipe from December 2005 Issue by Tholley (Thank you for the re...)
WELCOME Tholley!!!! That was (is) a great recipe---I make it frequently when we have a BEEF craving!!

Please join us again!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy