Duck Breats and Beer Sandwich - For Jean
  Re: (...)
Duck Breasts and Beer Sandwich

How’s that for an attention grabber? Well-seasoned duck breasts simmered beer with sweet onions and garlic – oh my! I recommend enjoying this recipe with a full chilled tankard of your favorite foaming ambrosia.

4 servings

6 – 10 duck breast half fillets, skin removed
salt and pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium yellow onions, sliced into thick rings
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tablespoons grainy mustard
1 red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
pinch red pepper flakes
1 cup flat beer (I like to cook this recipe with dark beer)
4 slices provolone cheese (or your favorite)
4 tablespoons mayonnaise
4 sandwich rolls
4 lettuce leaves
4 tomato slices

Season the duck breasts liberally with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over high heat in a large skillet and sear breasts quickly on both sides, but not past rare. Remove duck and set aside. Add remaining oil and onions. Reduce heat to low and cook onions for 4 to 5 minutes.

Add brown sugar and stir to coat. Cook until sugar has melted and has coated the onions, about 3 to 4 minutes more. Add garlic and next 4 ingredients and simmer until liquid is reduced to about 1/4 cup. Return duck breasts to the pan, cover pan and heat duck breasts to medium-rare.

Remove duck and slice thinly at a diagonal. Mound with onions and peppers in pan and top with cheese until melted. Spread mayonnaise on rolls and add lettuce and tomato. Mound duck, peppers, onions and cheese onto tomato.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Duck Breats and Beer Sandwich - For Jean by luvnit (Duck Breasts and Bee...)
On behalf of Roy, I thank you!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Duck Breats and Beer Sandwich - For Jean by Lorraine (On behalf of Roy, I ...)
"I recommend enjoying this recipe with a full chilled tankard of your favorite foaming ambrosia." For Jean that would be champagne
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Duck Breats and Beer Sandwich - For Jean by bjcotton ("I recommend enjoyin...)
Thanks so much!! These really sound good & Lorraine, Roy was disappointed when I mentioned I couldn't find the darn recipe. Now happiness reigns in this household, until he steps out of line again.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Duck Breats and Beer Sandwich - For Jean by luvnit (Duck Breasts and Bee...)
Well, I know I have some duck breasts floating around in my freezer somewhere, I'll have to try this. What dark beer do you recommend, Laura? (When I drink beer, it's usually something like Blue Moon, so I need a suggestion)

Thanks!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Duck Breats and Beer Sandwich - For Jean by pjcooks (Well, I know I have ...)
I bought 2 duck breasts today (1 whole), they were $17.12, but I just have to try them. DH went into an immediate nervous decline. I thought that was expensive, what do they cost there.
  Re: Re: Duck Breats and Beer Sandwich - For Jean by vannin (I bought 2 duck brea...)
What a wonderful flavor to this sandwich!! Be sure to use the grainy mustard in this - just wonderful!! I just grabbed a beer out of the fridge, but don't remember what I used, there are so many flavors I don't think I would have picked up the nuances of a particular dark beer, but that's just me.

[Image: sandwich.jpg]

I cooked just two breasts and decided to have 'leftover' sandwiches for this mornings brunch, so our sandwiches were a little shy on the meat (it called for 6 breasts for 4 sandwiches and you do need at least 1 1/2 breasts for two), but it was still fine.

This one is a repeat! This website is going to be fun, I'm thinking!!

Dale, we picked up a duck Monday for $10.67

---

P.S. darn, just noticed in the picture the duck looks well done, it really was not. The method the recipe calls for for cooking the duck was spot on, I just had to add the breasts back for, maybe 4 min. to bring them up to medium rare.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Duck Breats and Beer Sandwich - For Jean by vannin (I bought 2 duck brea...)
Gosh at the meat market I think they are around $13.??/lb. We are lucky enough to know a duck hunter whose wife hates game and hates to cook. So we cook him a few dinners every year and he passes on some duck breasts.

I have some duck breasts in the freezer and they are earmarked for this recipe:

Peppercorn Duck with Horsradish Cream Sauce

Reminiscent of carved prime rib. Serve with roasted red potatoes seasoned with fresh rosemary and lost of fresh garlic!

4-6 lg duck breast halves, skin intact
1/2 cujp of whole grain mustard
1/4 cup brined green peppercorns
3 T Pink peppercorns
3 T black peppercorns
1/4 t salt
1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
3 T Olive oil
1 c bechamel sauce (or substitute heavy cream)
1/4 cup prepared horseradish
1 t worchestershire sauce
2 t fresh chives, fine diced or green onion tops

Coat duck breast evenly iwth mustard. With a morter and pestle, combine peppercorns and grind until peppercorns are crushed. Add salt and bread crumbs and mix thoroughly. Coat duck breasts with the peppercorn mixutre.

Add olie oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add duck breasts and lightly brown on both sides about 3-4 minutes per side. Reduce heat to low. Cover skillet adn cook for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.

To make sauce, combine bechamel sauce, horsradish and worchestershire in a small sauce pan. Heat until warm. Slice duck breast very thin on a diagonal across the grain and fan out eaqual portions on each plate. Spoon sauce over one-half of each breast portion and garnish with chives.
Laura
  Re: Re: Duck Breats and Beer Sandwich - For Jean by luvnit (Gosh at the meat mar...)
Well darn it, I only have duck wings left of this week's duck!! I made up some duck confit out of the leg quarters yesterday - guess it's back to the store for Roy Rogers!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Duck Breats and Beer Sandwich - For Jean by cjs (What a wonderful fla...)
Oh Jean that looks so good! Great photo!

I love The Sporting Chef website and I just bought his cookbook which has 270 recipes in it.

The Venison Carpaccio sounds superb! Along with a Dove Ravioli with Tomato Basil Vinegrette, and Rabbit with Penne Pasta and Anchovy Sauce , and Sesame Crusted Duck!

He does have some without fancy titles, but they sound just as good. I haven't run into a single can of Cream of Mushroom Soup or Crock Pot recipe yet! Not that there is anything wrong with either of those. I just like something a little more special.
Laura