FoodSaver Renewed
  Re: (...)
It has been a while since we talked about the FoodSaver Vacuum system and I thought since it was such a valuable machine I'd talk about it again. I first purchased the FoodSaver Pro II several years ago...8 or 9 years..and it has paid for itself several times over. I initially paid ~$200.00 for it, but that model is no longer available. There are models ranging between $125 and $300. No matter which one you choose you'll be doing yourself a favor. There are many brands available, but in my opinion, NONE come close to the FoodSaver. Here is my experience with them...after about 7 years mine got to where it wouldn't seal very well. I was so happy with it that I bought a brand new one. The operator asked if I had changed the seals? I hadn't so in addition to the new one I ordered new seals. Lo and behold, the old one with new seals worked as well as the new one. They also told me that since I had already had one that I could order a reconditioned one for $50. So, I did! Now I have a new one, my lil' sis has a reconditioned one, and her daughter has my old one. I've been so happy with this product since I could buy in bulk, separate and vacuum pack smaller portions that I bugged my friends until they bought one. They're all glad they did. My oldest sis, cheapskate that she is, bought the cheapest model they make, but is still happy with it. The main difference between the lower price and the higher end models is that you can store the roll of bags inside; you can use the higher end model for hours at a time; and it will seal canisters and regular/wide mouth jars. I'm sure other members will tell you about their FoodSavers if you have questions.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: FoodSaver Renewed by bjcotton (It has been a while ...)
Oh wow! I absolutely adore our Foodsaver Pro! As Billy knows, ours was not sucking the bags quite like it used to - he sent us an extra set of gaskets he had, Bob installed them and it works like new!

We have canisters, and some wonderful refrigerator containers just the perfect size for a sandwich and a pickle that I use in Bob's lunch. Those now come in different sizes - and I hope to get more.

The Foodsaver has really been a great thing for us. I don't know what we'd do without it.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: FoodSaver Renewed by bjcotton (It has been a while ...)
I have always wanted one of these and keep getting talked out of it.

Does anyone else use theirs a lot? What do you use it for?

Have you seen the new ziplock vacuum bags?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: FoodSaver Renewed by luvnit (I have always wanted...)
I have seen the new ziploc bags, but can't imagine them working like the FoodSaver.

When something comes on sale in quantity, say like hamburger, I'll buy it in 10 pound bags or whatever and then repackage it in 1 pound bags; or I'll buy a whole pork loin or beef sirloin and cut it into different sizes and repackage it. A couple of months ago I found a package of steaks I'd packaged 2 years ago, had them for supper and there was NO freezer burn. A couple of years ago our Santa Rosa Plum tree had sooooooo many plums, we juiced a lot of them and packaged the juice; I make a huge meatloaf, cut it into sections and package them to size. I can't imagine what I'd do without mine. Like Sharon said, the replacement gaskets cost $1 when I bought them so I got a bunch and share them with my friends.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: FoodSaver Renewed by bjcotton (I have seen the new ...)
We grind our own meat, and make our own sausages. We buy bagels and Montreal smoked meat when we are there. I portion everything out for either 2 or 3 people. To me,there is no comparison between using ziplock freezer bags, and the FoodSaver.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: FoodSaver Renewed by Lorraine (We grind our own mea...)
"To me,there is no comparison between using ziplock freezer bags, and the FoodSaver." - I completely agree.

With FoodSaver pouching, there are no ice crystals forming inside the pkg. My machine saw me thru the years of personal cheffing and made life easy for me and my customers.

I've got to get on the ball and order some new seals myself - mine is not sealing well, I've just been procrastinating.

But, I would recommend this machine to any and everyone!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: FoodSaver Renewed by cjs ("To me,there is no c...)
I think the biggest selling point is when you have a ziplock bag blow up and snow homemade tomato soup all over the freezer! Bad bad bad bad!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: FoodSaver Renewed by Harborwitch (I think the biggest ...)
I have been thinking about this product for a while===problem is, not available here and the shipping would be astronomical---might be worth it though....but then again, if I wait long enough it will be here...sometime...somewhere!!!

Thanks for the reminder, Billy---one more gadget to think about---but I do a great deal of those portions in the freezer, too!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: FoodSaver Renewed by luvnit (I have always wanted...)
I love my foodsaver, Laura, though mine needs new seals also. Sometimes I have to freeze whatever I'm sealing a bit or put it in a ziplock first, if it's particularly juicy. I just pulled a ribeye I stuck in the freezer 3 months ago, and it looks as good as when I bought it. Well worth the #100 I paid for it a few years ago.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: FoodSaver Renewed by cjs ("To me,there is no c...)
Actually, I thought these bags were made by Ziploc, but they are made by Reynolds (Alcoa).

They are called Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum System. Seems really nifty. Use their bag, it has a special dot in the corner. Put your food in, zip it up. Use the sealer to suck the air out! Done!

Here is a link to a demo about the product:

Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum System
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura