Pickled Shrimp
  Re: (...)
I found this on the internet looking for recipes with Bay Leaf recipes. It sounds really good and I thought I would share it. And of course, I have a picture

[Image: PickledShrimp.jpg]

Pickled Shrimp
from The New Southern Cook

The best salad I know is a good mound of these atop fresh greens or avocado slices. This is a revised version of the excellent recipe in Hoppin' John's Lowcountry Cooking. There are two "secrets" to this recipe: the quality of the olive oil and the quantity of bay leaves.

On the coast of South Carolina, where I live, many people grow bay. My friend Billie Burn, author of Stirrin' the Pots on Daufuskie, sends me her prunings every year from her home on that barrier island. Go to your natural foods store and buy bay leaves in bulk. They'll be fresher and a lot less expensive than those bottled ones in the grocery store.

1 tablespoon salt
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon celery seeds
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 pounds small to medium (45 to 50 per pound) shrimp, cooked and peeled
1 medium onion, thinly sliced (about ½ cup)
25 to 30 bay leaves

Sterilize a quart jar and set aside. Combine the salt, oil, lemon juice, mustard and celery seeds, and the garlic and set aside. Place about 15 shrimp in the jar, then put a layer of about 4 bay leaves. Put a layer of onion slices, then continue making similar layers until the jar is filled and all of the ingredients are used. You will have to pack the jar fairly tightly to get them to fit. You may have to push down on the ingredients a little. (I use a tall, narrow olive or capers jar.)

When the jar is full, stir the oil mixture well and pour slowly into the jar. Use a fork or a spatula to run down the sides to release air bubbles and to make sure the jar fills. If well packed, the jar will hold all of the ingredients perfectly.

Put the lid on the jar and turn it over to make sure everything is coated with oil and that the air bubbles are out. Right the jar, open it again, and push the ingredients down again so that they are covered with a film of oil.

Refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving. When you remove shrimp from the jar, be sure to use a clean fork, never a finger. Before returning the jar to the refrigerator, make sure the remaining ingredients are covered with a film of oil and they will last easily for 2 weeks, if you can keep out of them!

Re: Pickled Shrimp by luvnit (I found this on the ...)
Oh, I've got to do this - and this is the first time in a long time I don't have any shrimp in the freezer....darn. (thinking a couple garlic cloves will probably find their way into the jar )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pickled Shrimp by cjs (Oh, I've got to do t...)
It sounds like these would make a wonderful garnish for a Bloody Mary!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Pickled Shrimp by luvnit (It sounds like these...)
It's extra easy, also smells good, to have a potted bay tree handy. I ordered one several years ago and potted it in a 2+ cubic feet pot. I have shared some of the fresh bay leaves with several of our members. The nice thing about these trees is how thick the leaves grow. If they're planted in the ground they'll grow to about 40' tall...mine is about 2 feet tall and probably won't get much larger.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Pickled Shrimp by bjcotton (It's extra easy, als...)
You are quite right Billy, these trees smell so great! My mom has a HUGE one in her foyer. She brings it outside during the summer and it loves the warm air.

She harvests it and we have glorious bay coming out our ears. She grinds hers to a fine powder and puts it in the 18 hour bread. Gosh that is so good. I tell ya.
Laura
  Re: Re: Pickled Shrimp by luvnit (You are quite right ...)
Took me a minute to understand the curve in the road, Billy - bay leaves???? 25-30 bay leaves. I think your tree may go taller, mine is well taller than me and it's still in a pot.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pickled Shrimp by cjs (Took me a minute to ...)
I found this recipe at Foodandwine.com

[Image: fw200607_whitegazpacho.jpg]

White Gazpacho with Pickled Shrimp

HEALTHY
ACTIVE TIME: 45 MIN
TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS
SERVES: 4

White gazpacho, a classic Spanish soup made with cucumbers, almonds, garlic, olive oil, sherry vinegar and day-old bread soaked in water, is common all over Andalucía, especially in summer. Jonathan Benno prepares it with delectable marcona almonds, which are sold roasted and already peeled. Instead of the traditional green grapes, he tops this intensely nutty gazpacho with pickled shrimp, adding another level of sweet-tart flavor.
ingredients
2 1/4 cups sherry vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 large jalapeño, halved lengthwise
1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
3 mint sprigs, plus 1 teaspoon chopped mint
3 cilantro sprigs, plus 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
1/2 pound large shrimp in their shells
4 garlic cloves, thickly sliced
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups crustless 1-inch cubes of peasant bread
1 cup Greek whole-milk yogurt
3/4 cup marcona almonds (4 ounces) (see Note)
1/2 pound seedless green grapes
1/2 large seedless cucumber—peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1/2 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika (Pimentón de la Vera)
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
directions
In a medium saucepan, combine 2 cups of the sherry vinegar with the sugar, jalapeño, peppercorns, coriander seeds, cumin seeds and 1 cup of water and bring to a rapid boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the mint and cilantro sprigs. Remove from the heat and add the shrimp. Cover the shrimp with a lid or a heatproof plate to keep them submerged and let the shrimp stand for 1 hour.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, simmer the garlic in the vegetable oil over moderate heat until very soft but not browned, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the garlic to a blender. Reserve the garlic oil for another use.
In a small bowl, soak the bread in cold water until softened. Squeeze out the excess water and transfer the bread to the blender. Add the yogurt, almonds, grapes, cucumber, 3 tablespoons of the sherry vinegar and 2 tablespoons of water and puree until smooth. With the machine on, add 1/4 cup of the olive oil in a thin stream. Set a fine strainer over a bowl and strain the soup, pressing hard on the solids. Season the soup with the paprika, salt and white pepper and refrigerate until cold.
Drain the shrimp and discard the liquid. Shell and devein the shrimp. In a small bowl, toss the shrimp with the remaining 1 tablespoon each of sherry vinegar and olive oil. Add the chopped mint and cilantro and season with salt and white pepper. Ladle the soup into shallow bowls and mound the shrimp in the center. Drizzle the soup with olive oil and serve.
MAKE AHEAD The undressed, pickled shrimp and gazpacho can be refrigerated separately overnight.

NOTES Marcona almonds are skinned, roasted almonds from Spain. Look for them in specialty food shops.

WINE This garlicky gazpacho pairs nicely with a copita (small glass) of fino sherry—a classic match in Seville or Jerez. Fino, the lightest type of sherry, should be served chilled to help bring out its almondy finish and make it a graceful match for the marcona almonds in the recipe. Two of the best are Bodegas Hidalgo La Gitana and Lustau Puerto Solera Reserva Fino.

Recipe by Jonathan Benno
This recipe originally appeared in July, 2006.
Laura