Goat Cheese substitute?
  Re: (...)
I asked this in the Pork wellington thread but thought I'd better ask here too.

What is a good substitute for goat cheese in the pork wellington recipe. While I can eat it, hubby can't stand that taste of it. I know that cream cheese doesnt' have the density and would run out.

Could I take potatoes (yukons) and slice them and cook them in stock to soften them and use them as a base? Perhaps putting a bit on Gruyere on top?
  Re: Goat Cheese substitute? by DFen911 (I asked this in the ...)
I just received my Holiday Menus today, so I'll take a look.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
I don't know if this helps you, Denise, but the original recipe (#42, p23) called for boursin. I hope you're doing some your way, too! That's how I have to cook here, one way for me, plain for him

PJ
PJ
Here's the original recipe (although not individual Wellingtons) I just mentioned.

Pork Wellingtons
(Cuisine at home, December 2003, Issue 42, p. 23)

Makes: 4-6 Servings Total Time: About Hour + Chilling Rating: Intermediate

For the Pork Wellingtons—
Prepare and Stuff:
2 pork tenderloins (6-8 oz. each)
4 oz. Boursin cheese

Roll Tenderloins in; Sear in 1 T. Olive Oil:
6 oz. prosciutto (3 oz. per tenderloin)

Trim; Wrap Each Tenderloin in:
1 sheet thawed puff pastry, rolled to a 16x12" rectangle

Brush Pastry with; Chill and Bake:
1 egg beaten with 1 T. water

For the Apple-Sage Sauce—
Saute in 1 T. Unsalted Butter:
1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
1/4 cup carrot, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped
1 T. tomato paste
2 bay leaves

Deglaze with:
1/4 cup apple juice or cider
1/4 cup dry white wine

Add and Simmer; Strain:
3 cups low-sodium beef broth

Combine; Whisk in:
2 T. cold water
2 t. cornstarch

Finish Sauce with:
1 T. apple jelly
1 T. truffle butter, optional (or substitute with 1 T. unsalted butter)
2 t. minced fresh sage
Salt and pepper to taste

Related Recipes:

Apple-Sage Sauce for Pork Wellington

Prepare tenderloins, trimming off silverskin and the thin tail at the end. Butterfly them for stuffing, making a 1"-deep incision down the length of each; do not cut all the way through. Stuff each tenderloin with half the Boursin.

Roll tenderloins in prosciutto. Lay half the prosciutto slices in a single layer, overlapping them slightly. Place stuffed tenderloin at the base of the prosciutto and roll to cover. Repeat for the second tenderloin. Sear in oil in a skillet over med.-high heat until prosciutto is brown and crisp on all sides, 5–8 min. Chill.

Trim pastry, wrap pork, and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet.

Brush Wellingtons with egg-water mixture, then decorate with pastry vines and cutouts. Cover with plastic; chill 1 hour or up to 24. Preheat oven to 400° with rack in lower third. Brush with more egg wash for good browning. Bake tenderloins 30–35 min., or until golden. Let rest 5 min. before slicing. To serve, trim off the ends (they’re doughy), then slice into 2"-thick pieces, allowing 2–3 per person. Serve with sage sauce.

Saute vegetables, tomato paste, and bay leaves in butter until soft, 5 min.

Deglaze with juice or cider and wine, scraping bits from the bottom of the pan. Simmer until reduced, 5 minutes.

Add beef broth; simmer 8–10 minutes, then strain. Return broth to a clean pan and bring to a boil over high heat.

Combine cornstarch and water in a bowl, smashing out lumps with your fingers. Whisk into the boiling broth, stirring constantly until slightly thickened.

Finish with jelly, truffle butter, and sage. Season with salt and pepper.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Goat Cheese substitute? by pjcooks (Here's the original ...)
I responded on the other thread... ;crazy:
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
If this is in a stuffing--my daughter works in cheese at Central Market, Austin. She recently brought home an Arina Goat Gouda--it is so mild--so good--if you can find it or something like it , you may be able to make it work and I'll promise he'll never know. Eat a bite with a cracker before-- you will love it. I don't know where it came from--it's one of the glories of having an insider in cheese in a fabulous cheese market--small favors are nice--thank you Lord.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Goat Cheese substitute? by Old Bay (If this is in a stuf...)
Now, THAT makes me very envious, Bill!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com