Seafood Pot Pie
  Re: (...)
I hope someone can help me here. I misplaced my magazine for October and it had a receipe that I was going to use with company. If anyone can copy that recipe, I would certainly appreciate it. It had lobster, crab and scollops I believe.
  Re: Seafood Pot Pie by Dottie Smiley (I hope someone can h...)
If this is the right one, we did a dinner review on it, back in Sept. Thanks to Maryann for typing this up!!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Newburg Pot Pie with puff pastry

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
FOR THE BROTH: prepare and combine
2 5-6 oz. lobster tails
3 ounces large shrimp
1/2 cup russet potato -- peeled and diced
1/4 cup carrot -- diced
FOR THE FILLING: Sweat in 2 T. unsalted butter; whisk in:
1/4 cup leeks -- diced
1 T. garlic -- minced
3 T. all purpose flour
DEGLAZE WITH; ADD:
2 T. dry sherry
1/2 cup reserved seafood broth
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup frozen peas
OFF HEAT; STIR IN:
Reserved seafood and vegetables
2 ounces lump crabmeat
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
1 teaspoon fresh tarragon
salt, white pepper and cayenne to taste
FOR THE PASTRY TOP----Prepare: Brush with:
1 sheet puff pastry -- thawed
1 egg -- lightly beaten w/ 1 T. water

Preheat oven to 425 degrees; line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Prepare lobster tails, cutting both sides of the shell (not the meat) down to the fan. Remove meat, reserving shells for broth. Peel and devein shrimp, then halve lengthwise; reserve meat and shells.

Combine seafood shells, potato and carrot in a saucepan. Cover with water, bring to a boil, and simmer until vegetables are fork tender, 10-15 minutes. Drain, reserving vegetables and 1/2 cup broth; discard shells and remaining broth.

Sweat leeks and garlic in butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat until leeks are translucent, about 5 minutes. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute.

Deglaze with sherry. Add reserved broth, whisking until smooth and thickened; stir in cream and peas.

Off heat, stir in reserved seafood and vegetables, crab, lemon juice, herbs, and seasonings. Mixture will be very thick.

Prepare puff pastry, rolling out on a floured surface to 1/8" thick. Trim around a 2 1/2-cup ovenproof dish so the pastry is 3 /4 larger than the diameter of the dish.

Cut vents in the pastry with a knife so steam can escape. Transfer filling to the dish and top with the pastry piece. Trim excess pastry, crimp edges, then brush dough with egg wash. Bake pot pie on the prepared baking sheet
until top is golden and filling is bubbly, 20 - 25 minutes.

Description:
"Shrimp, lobster, and crab in a rich sherry cream sauce"
Yield:
"2 1/2 cups"
Start to Finish Time:
"1:25"
-----------------------------------------------------

Maryann

Welcome to the board!!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Seafood Pot Pie by pjcooks (If this is the right...)
Dottie, you really must be careful not to over visit this site!!! We could get tired of seeing you! Smile Welcome back and I'm sure we'd like to see you more often

You might need these notes also -

NOTE: for those of you who do not have the magazine - here are a couple notes [Email]C@H[/Email] added to the recipe - it'll make things easier for all of us -

1. cut the lobster in large chunks so it doesn't overcook and turn rubbery.
2. Don't be alarmed at how thick the filling is. The seafood releases wayer as it cooks, thinning the mixture to the perfect consistency.
3. do yourself a favor and use frozen puff pastry for the top.

[Email]C@H[/Email] also recommends a salad of bitter greens with a tangy vinaigrette to accompany the pot pie.

Here's one they have -
Arugula Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
(Cuisine at home, February 2002, Issue 31, p. 11)

Makes: 6 Servings Total Time: 10 Minutes Rating: Easy

Wash and Stem:
6 cups arugula or other bitter salad greens

For the Vinaigrette —
Whisk Together:
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 T. honey
1 t. garlic, minced
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Garnish with:
Parmesan curls

Wash and stem arugula.

Whisk together lemon juice, honey, garlic, salt and ground pepper. While whisking drizzle in extra virgin olive oil. Toss arugula with vinaigrette.

Garnish with Parmesan curls.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Seafood Pot Pie by Dottie Smiley (I hope someone can h...)
Dottie, d#amn it was good!!!! Welcome!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Seafood Pot Pie by Lorraine (Dottie, d#amn it was...)
Thanks to pjcooks, cjs and Lorraine. Have to admit--was in a panic as I could not locate my magazine--this is a real problem in this house as I look forward to receiving it and use so many of the recipes besides figuring the pages until raw!!!!!!
You have saved my dinner party--thanks again.
  Re: Re: Seafood Pot Pie by Dottie Smiley (Thanks to pjcooks, c...)
WELCOME back, Dottie---please visit us more often and you MUST give us your review of this FANTASTIC recipe---ohhhh, gotta get that out of my mind, well, after I make it again
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Seafood Pot Pie by Roxanne 21 (WELCOME back, Dottie...)
Welcome Dottie, nice to meet you. Just thought I'd mention that there were some excellent recipes for making a quick dough for Puff Pastry. Some of us were unable to get a frozen puff pastry and making it from scratch (as you probbly know) takes days. Ask if you're interested.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Seafood Pot Pie by farnfam (Welcome Dottie, nice...)
Oooh please post it if you would be so kind. I seem to have misplaced my copy. I bet others would be interested too since the next dinner is Pork Wellington! Can't wait!

If you would post it I would be so grateful
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Seafood Pot Pie by luvnit (Oooh please post it ...)
Here's the puff pastry quick in the food processor, I believe MUSICMAKER posted these originally.

10 minute puff pastry
1. This recipe uses a food processor to mix the dough and really is a “quick” puff pastry
dough!
2. Dough will keep in the frige for 3 days, frozen for 1 month. Defrost in the frige
overnight.
3. Add herbs, spices, etc., to augment recipes for a savory or spiced dough.
And for a very, very quick appy, I will make this dough and add some cayenne and
shredded cheddar, cut into thin strips, twist, and bake about 10 min at 350, for spicy
cheese straws. Super, super quick and guests think you've spent hours on them!

ACTIVE TIME: 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 10 minutes (1 hour refrig time, tho not necessary if used right away)

YIELD: 1-1/2 pounds of dough

INGREDIENTS:

10 ounces (2-1/2 sticks) butter, unsalted, COLD
1/2 cup cold tap water
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups AP flour

DIRECTIONS:

1. Cut 2 sticks of the butter into 1/2 inch cubes and place on a plate and refrigerate with
gathering the rest of the ingredients.
2. Measure the water and stir in the salt to dissolve. Set aside.
3. Coarsely dice the rest of the butter, 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick).
4. Place the flour in the FP bowl with the metal blade and add the 4 tablespoons of butter.
Pulse until the butter is absorbed, about 10 to 12 pulses.
5. Add the chilled butter and pulse 1-2 times to distribute.
6. Add water and salt mixture and pulse 3-4 times, just until the dough forms a rough ball.
DO NOT OVERPROCESS!!!
7. Flour the work surface and turn the dough out. Shape the dough into a rectangle and
place between 2 pieces of plastic. Press with a rolling pin to flatten then roll back and forth
a few times with the rolling pin to make a 12 x 18 inch rectangle.
8. Peel the top layer of plastic wrap off and turn the dough over onto the floured
countertop. Remove the plastic from this side.
9. Fold the dough into thirds on the short side, to make a 4 x 18 rectangle. Roll the dough
up from the 4 inch end (roll up like a jelly-roll).
10. Using the rolling pin, press the dough into a square, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate or
use as needed in recipe. Keep in refrig, if needed, as you prepare filling, or until ready to
use. Do not keep out of frige.

Cis
Empress for Life