Another question
  Re: (...)
It seems like I am always coming her asking questions but I know that this is a great place to get the answers.
I would like to make Fried Mozzerella Sticks for appetizers Christmas Eve. Naturally I would like to get most of the work done ahead of time. Could I prepare them ahead of time; freeze them and just crisp them up at serving time? I can think of a lot of things that could happen but hopefully someone here knows if it can be done. Will I'm at it I need some suggestions for side dishes for dinner. I'm having a Baked Lasagna Casserole and Baked Chicken & Sausage Manicotti with a salad and breads but I would like to have a vegie side dish or two.
The family likes the basic vegies like corn & green beans but I kinda wanted to "fancy" them up a little. Any ideas? Thanks.
Shirley
  Re: Another question by smschwag (It seems like I am a...)
Okey Doke Shirley, how about these two:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Balsamic Green Beans

Recipe By :Chia
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:05
Categories : Fruits-Vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
5 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 pound green beans
1 medium shallot -- sliced
2 cloves garlic -- smashed
1/4 cup water -- more if needed
1 tablespoon butter -- cut in pieces
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Add 1 tsp vinegar to sugar, mix and set aside.

Heat a skillet on medium-high. When hot, add oil. Add garlic, shallots, green beans, salt and pepper and stir-fry for a few minutes until beans start to shrivel. Reduce heat to low, add water and balsamic/sugar mixture, cover and cook for 5 minutes.

Stir in remaining balsamic vinegar and butter, swirling pan to blend.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Corn Casserole

Recipe By Tongueaula Deen
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Fruits-Vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 can whole kernel corn -- (15 1/4-ounce) drained
1 can cream-style corn -- (14 3/4-ounce)
1 package corn muffin mix (recommended: Jiffy) -- (8-ounce)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup butter -- (1 stick) melted
1 cups shredded Cheddar -- (1 to 1 1/2)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, stir together the 2 cans of corn, corn muffin mix, sour cream, and melted butter. Pour into a greased casserole dish. Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and top with Cheddar. Return to oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Let stand for at least 5 minutes and then serve warm.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Another question by bjcotton (Okey Doke Shirley, h...)
"Could I prepare them ahead of time; freeze them and just crisp them up at serving time?"

if you mean to bake them first, freeze, then crisp up at serving time - I don't think I would. But, I would prep them ready for frying or baking (whatever the method is), freeze and cook from the frozen state, just adding a little
time.
Here's a wonderful side dish that even folks who say they don't like brussels sprouts love.... to serve as a side with your dinner, I think I would sub a little cubed ham or even prosciutto for the kielbasa.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Dijon Cream Sauce

Toss:
1 lb. Brussels sprouts -- halved lengthwise
2 cups red onions -- cut into wedges
8 oz. kielbasa -- 1/2 inch thick slices (subbed mini meatballs from home made bulk sausage)
2 T. olive oil
Salt and pepper
Simmer:
1/2 cup heavy cream (subbed canned milk-no heavy cream)
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1 T. honey
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

Preheat oven to 450°.

Toss sprouts, onions, and kielbasa in a bowl with the oil, salt, and pepper. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast 20 minutes (30 minutes was perfect), or until sprouts are tender, yet still crisp.

Simmer cream, mustard, honey, and vinegar in a saucepan over low heat for 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened. To serve, spoon sauce over roasted sprouts.

-----

Makes: 6 Cups

Description:
"Cuisine at home, December 2005, Issue 54, p. 24"

----

or maybe roasted beets??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Another question by bjcotton (Okey Doke Shirley, h...)
Billy,

Those look good! Especially the Balsamic Green Beans. I'll have to make those.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
Our favorite vegetable is grilled/roasted asparagus. The preparation method is so much better than mushy asparagus.

Just snap off the woody ends at their natural breaking point. Toss in good EVO and sprinkle with a coarse sea salt. Broil or grill about 5 mintues. No sauce needed.

Another idea would be a cream of vegetable soup... You can make it ahead, reheat and serve it in coffee cups/mugs to make it easy to eat at a large gathering. I have a good roasted red pepper soup recipe, and I believe there are other posts here and recipes in the Soups cookbook for squash soup, cream of carrot soup. It's a different way to include the vegetables!
If you want to "fancy up" green beans....I helped Jean and another Chef do these at a fundraiser. Blanch green beans until crisp tender. Shock in cold water bath, and drain. Take 5 beans, cut the ends off at an angle. Cut a piece of prosciutto in half lenghtwise, and wrap around the beans to make a bundle. The beans can be trayed, covered and refridgerated until ready to use. I place in oven with whatever else is cooking (usually 350 - 375) until heated through. They look great, and taste even better!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Another question by Lorraine (If you want to "fanc...)
forgot about that one!! yum. there is even a picture floating around with the 6' giant & a 5'2" broad with a little 4'thing between us!! I always feel so tall around Lorraine!

off topic, sorry - back to the veggies!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Another question by cjs ("Could I prepare the...)
That sounds like a good idea to prep and freeze then "oven fry" them at serving time.
Thanks everyone for all the great veggie recipes. Now I just have to decide which ones to make.

I knew I could count on you all for help.
Shirley
  Re: Re: Another question by cjs (forgot about that on...)
I believe this is one of the pictures I took Jean and I also believe he is a little taller than 6', say 6'4".

[Image: Colorado08-05036.jpg]

That's the little redheaded munchkin in the middle
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Another question by bjcotton (I believe this is on...)
HEY! I'm a redhead too - a real one....
www.achefsjourney.com