Almond Extract alternative??
  Re: (...)
As the holiday cookie season approaches, some new cookie recipes I want to bake ask for almond extract. AS hard as I've tried to like it, I just cannot, I just really DO NOT like the taste, smell, even thinking about it.

What can I use as a substitute?

Thank you!!
  Re: Almond Extract alternative?? by KatKev (As the holiday cooki...)
Let's see, how about orange, lemon, kirsch, or a dry spice like allspice, cloves? Hope that helps, and welcome to CuisineAtHome.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Depends on the cookie - peppermint, or vanilla, orange or lemon, rum...
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Almond Extract alternative?? by esgunn (Depends on the cooki...)
First welcome to the boards! You will love this place

Ok for alternative flavors,

Hazelnut, nutmeg but like Esgunn said...depends on the cookie type.

Yeah for the holidays!
Welcome, KatKev!

If the extrac is something you cannot handle, you can try using some almond flour in your recipe. You will still get the almond taste. Use about 1/4 of a cup for each 2 cups of flour. Don't pack it into your measuring cup, use a sweeping motion or just lightly spoon it into the measure.
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Almond Extract alternative?? by MUSICMAKER (Welcome, KatKev![br]...)
Thank you for the advice and the warm welcomes! I will test those out! Happy baking to all!
I am new here to KatKev. I used to hate almond flavoring too. It really sickended me. I don't know what it was. I think I am over it now and just bought my first bottle of almond extract. But enough about me.

When I used to bake and couldn't tolerate almond I used hazelnut. I still love the taste of hazelnut.

Karen
"There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't and that's a wife who can't cook and will." ~Robert Frost (1847-1963)

Karen (iCook)
  Re: Re: Almond Extract alternative?? by iCook (I am new here to Kat...)
Like your byeline Karen. Once had a friend who I loved dearly, really did, but she couldn't cook. Long ago DH had collected a large bag of mussels fresh from the rocks for out dinner, which we took around to her place, my parents were there too. Mattie decided she would cook the mussels. She took a huge pan and filled it with water. Shrieks from my father, sit down sit down Mattie, Dale will do it. I was the youngest. She did, and I tipped out all the water and put in most of a bottle of wine. Mattie nearly fainted poor soul, it was so Extravagent. (She thought). Heaved in some seasonings and herbs, and served as they opened, so they stayed nice and hot. I love cooking mussels, but it is newspaper food in our house. There has to be a lot, and we make a mess.