Philadelphia Soft Pretzel............ Laura!
  Re: (...)
The use of Mother to make sourdough pretzels is one of the easier recipes we will do. This recipes only down fall is if you get it to wet. We start with Mother, the liquid and an oiled dough hook to break Mother up.
[Image: pretxel.jpg]

I add in about half the flour after the liquid and Mother are pretty well mixed. This is followed by adding in the malt, and slowly working in the rest of the flour.

[Image: firstrise.jpg]

Because the first rise is can be completed in the mixer bowl, I usually just wrap a warm towel around the bottom of the bowl and let the first rise take place on the KA. After the first rise I just oil the dough hook a little
and drop it down in to add the remaining dry ingredients. At this point we start the forming. My dough was not as stiff as it could have been so I ended up with spread out pretzels. Tasted create, window quality not really! But I promised to show you all how they come out when I make them. So this is them un-food styled. Hey I am not a professional baker, but I like to bake from time to time. I am going to make them again Thanksgiving weekend for my son and daughter.

The shaping is important. So I make the straight crossed ribbon in the breast cancer awareness campaign.

[Image: forming.jpg]

Then we take the top closed part and bring it down to the two legs. And pinch then together. Then allow them to rise for the second time.

[Image: 2rise.jpg]

No in Penna. Dutch country all the way to Philadelphia these are a large, heavy item. Like almost a pound or so. You can find them littler and lighter. But if you want the street vendor experience you make them large and heavy.
Then into the boiling water to cook and off the the oven to bake. I make some with salt and some without salt due to the dietary requirements of my family.

[Image: cooked.jpg]

They came out nice, but a little flatter then I wanted. This was dough to the dough not being stiff enough. Oh well, homemade is homemade! Sometimes they don't come out quite right, but they still taste darn good. I also was messing around with other shapes. Some of the street vendors in Philadelphia would shape a double looped 8 when making them. So I tried that as well.

[Image: double8.jpg]

These monsters were a little harder to handle in the cooking phase. But they make a great center of the coffee table, pull off your own amount type family snack.
Did not take any pictures of the mustard I made for them, but I will when I do it again Saturday.

'til we talk again, remember perfection comes from trying until you get it right!

Chef Bob Ballantyne
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering
Grand Junction, Colorado, USA
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Philadelphia Soft Pretzel............ Laura! by bbally (The use of Mother to...)
Oh Bob... these look spectacular! I bet they are sooooo tastey right out of the oven!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Philadelphia Soft Pretzel............ Laura! by bbally (The use of Mother to...)
THANKS! Bob, for filling my request for these! We did make them last night and they were GREAT!!! I had some pretzel salt from a few months back when we made some pretzels from a completely different recipe, and that just "made" these!

Now we cannot wait for your mustard!!!

Thanks, again!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Philadelphia Soft Pretzel............ Laura! by MUSICMAKER (THANKS! Bob, for fil...)
OK linda I will type up the mustard.
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985