Any Bleu Cheese ideas out there?
  Re: (...)
I have a pretty large brick of Bleu Cheese. I really love bleu cheese and don't want this brick to go to waste.

Has anyone ever froze this cheese? was it successful?

This is a high quality cheese and is just delicious with a glass of red wine. My hubby is not a bleu cheese fan, but he even loved this stuff plain!

I'd like to surprise with with a WOW recipe if anyone has one. Thanks!

[Image: 22196378.jpg]
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Any Bleu Cheese ideas out there? by luvnit (I have a pretty larg...)

Laura I have a recipe for a Blue Cheese CheeseCake - always a real hit

with everyone - would you like me to post it.

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Any Bleu Cheese ideas out there? by mjkcooking ([br]Laura I have a r...)
Is it an appetizer? I have never heard of Blue Cheese Cheesecake!

Sounds very interesting... What do you serve it with?
Laura
  Re: Re: Any Bleu Cheese ideas out there? by luvnit (Is it an appetizer? ...)
O.K., Laura, you asked for it - this happens to be Roy's favorite cheese, so have some of his favorites around.

This risotto is not the classic method, but had to try it and I'm sure glad I did.

BUTTERNUT SQUASH, ROSEMARY, AND BLUE CHEESE RISOTTO
Serving Size : 4

7 cups low-salt chicken broth -- (or more)
3 tablespoons butter
1 1/4 cups finely chopped onion
1 2 pound butternut squash -- peeled, halved, seeded, cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch dice (about 3 cups)
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary -- divided
2 cups arborio rice (about 13 1/2 ounces)
1/2 cup dry white wine
4 cups baby spinach leaves (about 4 ounces)(didn't use) -- (packed)
1/2 cup whipping cream (trying to be careful -- so omitted)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
----------
1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese (about 1 1/2 ounces)
added some toasted pine nuts

Bring 7 cups broth to boil in large saucepan. Cover and reduce heat to low.

Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add squash and 1 1/2 teaspoons rosemary; sauté 4 minutes to coat with butter.

Add rice and stir 2 minutes. Add wine and simmer until evaporated, about 1 minute. Add 7 cups hot broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until rice is just tender and risotto is creamy and slightly soupy, adding more broth by 1/4 cupfuls as needed to maintain consistency and stirring occasionally, about 18 minutes. Stir in spinach, cream, and Parmesan cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Transfer risotto to large bowl. Sprinkle with blue cheese and remaining 1/2 teaspoon rosemary and serve.

Makes 4 servings.
Bon Appétit, February 2005

I've always used the classic method for making risotto, but tried this last nite and it worked great!
Even with the omissions this was a very creamy, nice risotto - and super easy.

-------

PENNE with TOMATOES, BASIL LEAVES and BLUE CHEESE

1 pound Penne, Mostaccioli, or other medium pasta shape -- uncooked
12 ripe plum tomatoes -- quartered
OR
1 pint cherry tomatoes -- cut in halves
2 cups whole fresh basil leaves -- lightly packed
2 ounces blue cheese -- finely crumbled
2 T. olive or vegetable oil
2 T. white wine vinegar
Salt & pepper to taste

Toss the tomatoes in a bowl with the basil leaves, cheese, oil & vinegar. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
Refrigerate and let marinate 45 min. to a few hours.
Cook pasta according to pkg. directions; drain well. Transfer the pasta to a mixing bowl & while still warm, add the tomato mixture & toss. Let stand at room temperature about 15 min. before serving.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Use the smallest basil leaves for this recipe. If the leaves are longer that an inch long, tear them in half crosswise before adding to the tomato mixture.

-----
this one I have not tried, but what's not to love??

GORGONZOLA CHICKEN THIGHS

Makes 4 to 6 servings

Ingredients:

1/3 cup (2 1/2 ounces) Gorgonzola cheese
6 tablespoons plain dry bread crumbs, divided
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 to 2 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preparation:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

In a small bowl, mash and mix the cheese, 2 tablespoons bread crumbs and pepper with a fork. Lay the thighs, smooth side down, on a work surface. Crumble on the cheese mixture, then press to flatten. Roll up the chicken thighs and secure with a sturdy pointed toothpick.

Spray all sides of the chicken bundles with olive oil from a mister, or coat with a pastry brush dipped in oil. Spread 2 tablespoons bread crumbs and the salt on a sheet of waxed paper.

Dip the thighs into the crumbs to lightly coat all sides. Shake off excess. Set on a large baking sheet. Mist all sides with oil.

Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until golden.

-------
and finally, our family's favorite salad dressing -

ROQUEFORT DRESSING

3 -4 oz. packages Roquefort cheese
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 heaping Tablespoons mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon onion, grated
1 clove garlic, -- minced
3 drops tabasco sauce
1/4 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
Salt & pepper to taste

In a dinner plate with an edge or a very shallow dish, smash the cheese with a fork.
Add the buttermilk, one tablespoon at a time, combining with the fork.
Add the rest of the ingredients, mixing as you add each.
Combine all together, but keep the beautiful lumps of cheese intact.

Don't be tempted to use a processor, blender, mixer, or any mechanical device - you'll ruin the dressing.

Description:
"My mother always made this dressing in a large dinner plate that had a little depth to it - so, I have one dinner plate just like that - doesn't match anything else in house - that I keep just for this dressing."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Any Bleu Cheese ideas out there? by cjs (O.K., Laura, you ask...)
Oh thank you! These look really good.

I love blue cheese, I am in Roys's camp on this for sure. Blue cheese dressing is my favorite and I always love the homemade stuff but never seem to ge around to it.

I will try the chicken thighs too and let you know how they go! I haven't stuffed thighs before. Never even thought of it!

Do you think pounding the thighs to flatten them out before stuffing them would be a good idea?
Laura
  Re: Re: Any Bleu Cheese ideas out there? by luvnit (Oh thank you! These ...)
you could pound them, but I don't think it would really be necessary.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Any Bleu Cheese ideas out there? by cjs (O.K., Laura, you ask...)
The risotto sounds wonderful, Jean. You once posted another risotto/squash recipe that was good, also, right up my ally!

Thanks! PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Any Bleu Cheese ideas out there? by pjcooks (The risotto sounds w...)
Laura, here's one from our latest LCBO mag. I'm not a blue cheese fan, but this one caught my eye. They say it's especialy good served with Cherry & Thyme shortbread. (another recipe I'll have to post.)

1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/3 cup shallots, finely chopped
2 Tbsp all purpose flour
1 Tbsp fresh sage, finely chopped
1/4 cup dry white wine
3/4 cup milk, 2% or higher, warmed
2 Tbsp honey
3/4 cup blue cheese
Salt and white pepper to taste

In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and add shallots. cook for 5 minutes, or until translucent and tender. Stir in flour and sage and cook for 1 minute.

Slowly whisk in white wine. Gradually whisk in warmed milk. continue to whisk until mixture thickens, about 4 minutes. Turn off heat.

While mixture is still warm, stir in honey and cheese until cheese melts.

Season to taste with S & P.

I sure wish I liked blue cheese more!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Any Bleu Cheese ideas out there? by Lorraine (Laura, here's one fr...)
Lorraine that sounds incredible! Printing it now!

I'll have to dig - I made shortbread with bleu cheese - yum. Boy could I go for the cherry thyme shortbread!!!

My personal fave with bleu cheese is a glass of red wine and a fork. Point Reyes bleu with a spoon is pretty good.

A friend I used to work with used to mix soft butter and bleu cheese half and half and use it as a dip - heaven!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Any Bleu Cheese ideas out there? by Harborwitch (Lorraine that sounds...)
Quote:

the cherry thyme shortbread!!!

I'll post it for ya'll. (I'm practicing my accent!!)
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.