Success and Failure
  Re: (...)
Sometimes you have a good day in the kitchen, sometimes not. But, sometimes, even though the recipe doesn't turn out as planned, it morphs into something equally as good.

I was making turkey barley soup, but, as I have done in the past, added too much barley. I got sidetracked while bring the stock to a boil, it reduced waaay too much. Now I have a wonderful barley risotto.

I did my mise for the PB&J cookies, and realized I didn't have grape jelly. No problem, I had blueberry jelly, and a mango, passionfriut something or other one as well. Fine for a trial run. Unfortunatley, soemone put my butter back in the fridge, without me noticing. The cookies tasted fabulous, but I found them very dry, and wondered why. I'm not a baker, so it wasn't unusual that they didn't turn out great. Half disintegrated into crumbs, some held their shape. I bagged all the crumbs, and now have a great topping for crepes. All was not lost.

I did buy grape jelly today, and will make another batch this afternoon. I'll also add the butter this time.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Success and Failure by Lorraine (Sometimes you have a...)
I love a good food love story....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

It's things like that which make recipes our own!!! Love the story, Lorraine!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Success and Failure by MUSICMAKER ( [img]/ubbthreads/im...)
Lolly, Lolly, Lolly! I bet you're saying, "Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!"

I was at Marilee's yesterday morning and had toasted some English style muffins, buttered or pbuttered them and was nibbling away. Marilee came in and took this half-cup jar of homemade Red Currant Jelly from the fridge and wiped some on my muffin. I glared at her for ruining my pbutter and she said, "Just taste it and tell me who it reminds you of." One taste and I remembered this old lady that lived across the street from us about 55 years ago. M said, what was her name? It was Mrs. Knapp. She used to give us some every year.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Lorraine, a few years ago, we served barley risotto for lunch, maybe Chef was having the same kind of day as you! (I sold out, by the way)

I guess I look at it the same way as you, as long as it can be used for something I haven't failed.

PJ
PJ