What's for Dinner - T.G.I.F.?
  Re: (...)
We're not going to be around for Thanksgiving, but turkeys are so cheap right now, how can you not buy one? Picked up a 22# one earlier this week. 22# for Roy and me...

But, I butchered that sucker up and now I have MORE IN THE FREEZER!!! I made turkey stock from the scraps and carcass yesterday and today, I'm roasting one of the leg quarters with a little leftover dressing from last weekend and Roy is just dying for a baked potato with the Southwester Cranberry salsa, so won't have mashed tonite.

My kitchen is going to smell good again today! What are you all up to?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner - T.G.I.F.? by cjs (We're not going to b...)
We had the slow roasted salmon dinner---first time I have made and was a bit disappointed---TOO SPICEY!!!!! I may do this again but cut the adobe sauce back about to 1/4 the said amount---my (our) mouth is still burning!!!! Nice recipe though. The pineapple rice cut the spiciness a bit but not enough.

I also did those nectarine/mozzarella/basil appys----nice but not great---won't do those again. I was able to purchase some really nice ripe nectarines yesterday and thought I would do this---nectarines, maybe all fruit, is coming into season here---juicy, sweet and awesome!!!

Just a quick review and MHO!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - T.G.I.F.? by Roxanne 21 (We had the slow roas...)
I haven't gone grocery shopping since I got back, so the cupboards are still bare.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - T.G.I.F.? by Lorraine (I haven't gone groce...)
(look in the freezer....)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - T.G.I.F.? by cjs ((look in the freezer...)
Well I went to a meat market that's about 46 miles away (one way), but they really do have the best meat. They have the Porterhouse-Style Pork Chops that are just to-die-for!

Not sure exactly what I'm gonna do with them yet. But we are having a rice dish [rice-a-roni] and a head of steamed cauliflower with them. Ooooo this is gonna be good!

If I think of it, I'll take a picture
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - T.G.I.F.? by Roxanne 21 (We had the slow roas...)
Quote:

I was able to purchase some really nice ripe nectarines yesterday and thought I would do this---nectarines, maybe all fruit, is coming into season here---juicy, sweet and awesome!!!

Roxanne, the other day at the market I purchased some beautiful oranges, about the size of a softball. Perfectly round orange globes. I always wash fruit before eating or even peeling it and as I was washing one of the oranges there was a bright green sticker on it, proudly tooting it was from "South Africa"! The oranges are called "Midnight Orange". I wasn't aware oranges grew in S. Africa (meaning, not having the climate)! Anyway, they made me think of you!!!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: ROXANNE ! !! ! ! ! by MUSICMAKER ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Oh my, Linda!!!! You have no clue as to what we grow here---EVERYTHING!!!!!! Problem is---all the good stuff is exported to you guys and we have the leftovers-- If we want to purchase really great quality first class fruits and veggies, we have to buy the imports from Israel and Kenya....good products but WAY EXPENSIVE!!!! Anyway--the produce here is becoming more available to the average citizen and has been pretty good lately---Smile

When I was visiting my Mom last March, we went shopping for some goodies to fill the fridge etc---what did I see??? YUP----awesome fruits from South Africa---quality beyond anything that I had ever seen here---Sad There has been an increase on export tariffs here---which means we can get some of the better stuff for the time being---YIPPEE!!!! Nice plums, pears, avos, oranges, lemons, asparagus, cabbage, strawberries, blueberries, grapes, too many to mention!!!--yummmmmmm!!!!!! I wish there was a way we could prolong the season to year 'round!!! Needless to say....we are enjoying our crops!!!

The climate here is ideal for almost any product---we have some of the BEST vineyards in the world---first class wines -- I believe that they are becoming readily available in the States---also OLIVE OILS!!!! World class!!

The climate is very similar to southern/northern California (combo). Pretty nice to live in--if one is by the ocean--Smile Inland can be extremely warm during the summer--upwards of 110 degrees and humid. We are having a pretty strange spring/summer this year--lots of rain and wind--which is unusual after September--no complaining about the rain though---helping to keep the gardens green.

Did I mention---fresh corn on the cob year 'round!!! Picked up some okra yesterday--thinking about a jambalaya in the next couple of days!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: ROXANNE ! !! ! ! ! by Roxanne 21 (Oh my, Linda!!!! ...)
That's funny. I don't think I have seen fruits or vegies from South Africa in the stores around here. Although I don't always pay attention. I wonder if it is because you all were on the eastern half of the US.

Most of our imported fruits and vegis - especially in the winter come from Mexico, Chili/and other South American countries, and Australia.

It is the same way with apples - most of the apples from Washington are exported to other states and countries. I sure have been enjoying the Honey Crisp apples, but they are almost gone - very short season.

I have started seeing more wines from South Africa though. I don't think I have tasted any yet though.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: ROXANNE ! !! ! ! ! by esgunn (That's funny. I don...)
We went to a new "Whole Foods" type store called New Seasons Market today. Brought home some Seasonal Herb and Feta Stuffed Chicken Breasts, some [get this Jean] 5 year old Holland Gouda cheese ($16.99 per pound) to nibble on, yams and a green salad for supper. They had a Cranberry Balsamic Tiramisu that was absolutely to die for; a really good Cauliflower Au Gratin; a Cranberry Per Spice Cake that very tasty; and a Green Beans with Mushroom Madiera Sauce(for which I have the recipes )
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: ROXANNE ! !! ! ! ! by bjcotton (We went to a new "Wh...)
"The climate here is ideal for almost any product---we have some of the BEST vineyards in the world---first class wines -- I believe that they are becoming readily available in the States---also OLIVE OILS!!!! World class!!"

We've had some great wines from Africa! Will look for the olive oil, don't think I've come across those yet.

"Cranberry Balsamic Tiramisu" - oh my, that got the old taste buds drooling.... did you get that recipe?

Haven't heard of that store - New Seasons Market, (you're in Portland, right?) Is it an independent? will have to google it.
www.achefsjourney.com