Recipe Request
  Re: (...)
Does anyone have the recipes for these cookies?

Cub Claws and Cream Cheese Dough ?

I'm new to this forum and to this magazine so I do not have that many back issues. I would appreciate it if anybody has the recipes if they could post them here. Thank you.
Megan
  Re: Recipe Request by Midnight_Megan (Does anyone have the...)
Here ya go!

Cream Cheese Dough
(Cuisine, December 2001, Issue 30, p. 24)

Makes: 1 1/2 Pounds Total Time: 15 Minutes + Chilling Overnight Rating: Easy

Cream:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, room temperature
1 t. lemon zest, finely minced

Sift; Add to Cream Cheese Mixture:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 t. table salt

Related Recipes:

Rugelach

Cub Claws

Cream butter, cheese, and zest with a mixer on medium speed.

Sift dry ingredients and add; blend just until incorporated. Shape dough into a thick log and divide into three 8-oz. portions. Wrap each piece in plastic and flatten into a disk. Chill dough overnight before using.

Cub Claws
(Cuisine, December 2001, Issue 30, p. 26)

Makes: 36 Cookies Total Time: 2–2 1 /2 Hours + Chilling Overnight Rating: Intermediate

For the Cream Cheese Dough—
Cream:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, room temperature

Sift; Add to Cream Cheese Mixture:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 t. table salt

For the Filling—
Grind in Food Processor:
2 1/2 cups (10 oz.) sliced almonds
3/4 cup powdered sugar
4 T. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 t. almond extract
Pinch table salt

Add and Process:
3 T. beaten egg (from one large egg; reserve extra for egg washing cookies)

For the Garnish and Icing—
Crush:
2/3 cup sliced almonds

Blend:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 T. milk

Cream butter, cheese, and zest for dough, with a mixer on medium speed.

Sift dry ingredients and add; blend just until incorporated (use a wooden spoon if hard to mix). Shape dough into a thick log and divide into three 8-oz. portions. Wrap each piece in plastic and flatten into a disk. Chill dough overnight.

Grind almonds and sugar for filling, in a processor until nuts are fine. Add butter, zest, extract, and salt; process to blend. In a small bowl, beat one egg until blended.

Add 3 T. egg to the almond mixture; process until a ball forms around the blade (it will be sticky). Transfer to a bowl; chill at least 1 hour before using (may be made up to a day ahead). Preheat oven to 350°. Roll a disk of dough on a lightly floured surface to a 11–12" square, 1/8" thick. Flip dough often while rolling to prevent sticking. With a pizza wheel, trim to make a 10" square, then three 3 x 10" strips. Roll 3 T. almond filling into a snake about 10" long; place it down the center of a dough strip. Roll filling for remaining two strips. Brush upper half of each strip with reserved egg wash (from making the almond filling). Now fold the lower half of the dough (the un-egg washed side) over the almond filling; tuck it under the filling slightly. Fold the egg washed portion in half lengthwise, up to where the dough tucks under the filling. You should have a cylinder of filling encased by dough with a flap at the top (see inset photo). Repeat folding with remaining strips. Turn the logs seam side down. With a bench scraper or knife, cut each log in half, then each half in two pieces. Use scissors to snip “toes” in the flap of dough to make a claw shape. Take care not to cut into the almond filling. Gently bend each claw slightly to make a “paw” shape; place cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet about 11/2" apart. Brush the tops with more egg wash. Crush almonds and gently press onto each claw. Bake cookies on middle rack of oven until golden, 20–30 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking. Do not overbake. Cool cookies completely on pans.

Blend powdered sugar and milk together to make a glaze. When cool, drizzle glaze over claws with a fork. (If freezing, don’t glaze claws until thawed.)

Nutrition Information (Per cub claw):
180 calories 68% calories from fat 14g total fat 12g carb. 54mg sodium

Welcome to the forum!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Recipe Request by pjcooks (Here ya go![br][br]C...)
oh my, don't those little goodies sound good!!! I've really got to order some more of the annual recipe books.....I don't have this issue either.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Recipe Request by cjs (oh my, don't those l...)
Yes, they sure do sound yummy! Will have to give these a "test drive" for the holiday baking!

Welcome to the forum, Midnight Megan! Hope you can join us often!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Recipe Request by MUSICMAKER (Yes, they sure do so...)
I have made these about a year ago. I am not sure if i did something wrong but they looked much better in the magazine.

Sorry to dissapoint you all
  Re: Re: Recipe Request by piano226 (I have made these ab...)
Thanks for the warning, piano. Will make note of your comments and make sure the recipe is closely "guarded" while making them. Will post any negative results if they occur.
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Recipe Request by MUSICMAKER (Thanks for the warni...)
thank you pj for posting the recipes. thank you for the welcome. I hope these cookies turn out ok. they look good in the pictures and I am so hoping they do turn out so I can impress my new MIL!
Megan